What is a Loan?

What is a Loan?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Dec 22
1 edit

@averagejoe1 said
If I borrow money but am not required to pay it back,,,,,,was it a loan? What was it?
"Money that was borrowed and expected to be paid back". That has been the definition. This is why the libs will win in the end, because they simply change the definition of things. This is NATURAL for them, like their oatmeal each morning. It is what they do.
I mention this ...[text shortened]... or of the losers, that they should at least grace us with a new definition of the word......."Loan".
Stop being so stunningly ignorant; millions of loans get renegotiated, reduced, discharged or forgiven every year in the US by both private and public lenders. The cost of such is baked into the interest rate lenders charge; it's called "credit risk".

w

Moves
09 Dec 22

@averagejoe1 said
If I borrow money but am not required to pay it back,,,,,,was it a loan? What was it?
"Money that was borrowed and expected to be paid back". That has been the definition. This is why the libs will win in the end, because they simply change the definition of things. This is NATURAL for them, like their oatmeal each morning. It is what they do.
I mention this ...[text shortened]... or of the losers, that they should at least grace us with a new definition of the word......."Loan".
I renegotiated my mortgage 3 times.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
09 Dec 22
1 edit

@booger said
Remember back in the day when a high school graduate was above the other workers and got better jobs?

Then the college graduate got preference over the high school graduate?

What happens when everyone has the same free education?
You would have millions upon millions of people schooled but never hired for what they studied for because everyone has the same level of edu ...[text shortened]... d's who is going to clean the toilets?

Also, who is going to pay for this magical free education?
“What happens when everyone has the same free education? “

You’ll have a very well educated / qualified work force which will allow you to compete with China and the like but try explaining that to dummies who think four years of someone’s life to gain a qualification that will allow them to pay more tax is not a big enough investment.
It’s only the corporations that get free education in terms of the work force that turns a profit for them but try explaining that to dummies.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
09 Dec 22

@wajoma said
For it to be free, people must give freely, without coercion. Why do I get the idea when you say 'free' you mean exactly the opposite?
So, people can choose to fund the army or not?

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Stop being so stunningly ignorant; millions of loans get renegotiated, reduced, discharged or forgiven every year in the US by both private and public lenders. The cost of such is baked into the interest rate lenders charge; it's called "credit risk".
Then stop avoiding the fact that each case which you reference is considered on its merits. I repeat to you, a liberal, that each case is considered on its merits. Your man Biden woke up one day, and, willy nilly, just said let us forgive student debt. "Let us not consider each case one by one, let us do a blanket forgiveness across the board'...." I pick, let me see, student loans."
Is there any logic, common sense or rationale in that? Is there any consideration of merit? Is that the way to run a government?
Jesus.

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22

@wildgrass said
I renegotiated my mortgage 3 times.
They considered the merits of your case, Wildgrass. You apparently qualified.

w

Moves
09 Dec 22

@averagejoe1 said
Then stop avoiding the fact that each case which you reference is considered on its merits. I repeat to you, a liberal, that each case is considered on its merits. Your man Biden woke up one day, and, willy nilly, just said let us forgive student debt. "Let us not consider each case one by one, let us do a blanket forgiveness across the board'.
Is there any log ...[text shortened]... onale in that? Is there any consideration of merit? Is that the way to run a government?
Jesus.
Remember occupy wall street? This isn't a wake up and decide kind of idea.

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22

@kevcvs57 said
“What happens when everyone has the same free education? “

You’ll have a very well educated / qualified work force which will allow you to compete with China and the like but try explaining that to dummies who think four years of someone’s life to gain a qualification that will allow them to pay more tax is not a big enough investment.
It’s only the corporations that ge ...[text shortened]... ducation in terms of the work force that turns a profit for them but try explaining that to dummies.
You can't even explain it to us.
Funny how you libs want to change the way things have been done over 250 years. Why is that?
Yes, we know it is not perfect, but our country has been the most successful in all those years. So if you want us 'all the same', who will re-roof my house? (only to later become a huge roofing contractor and get rich.....ahhhh, I love this country )

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22

@shavixmir said
So, people can choose to fund the army or not?
No, we have to do that because our constitution provides for that. Thanks for your thoughtful post, though. So, your logic would follow that we Should be able to choose whether to fund abortions or not? Just asking, for a friend.....

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
09 Dec 22
3 edits

@averagejoe1 said
You can't even explain it to us.
Funny how you libs want to change the way things have been done over 250 years. Why is that?
Yes, we know it is not perfect, but our country has been the most successful in all those years. So if you want us 'all the same', who will re-roof my house? (only to later become a huge roofing contractor and get rich.....ahhhh, I love this country )
I did explain it Joe but you are either to thick to understand it or to recalcitrant to accept it.

EDUCATION IS AN INVESTMENT THAT BENEFITS THE WHOLE OF THE ECONOMY AND SOCIETY. THE STUDENT INVESTS THEIR TIME WHEN THEY COULD BE EARNING A SALARY, THE ECONOMY AND SOCIETY SHOULD BE PREPARED TO INVEST FINANCIALLY.
IN PARTICULAR BIG EMPLOYERS SHOULD PAY AN EDUCATION TAX GIVEN THAT THEY BENEFIT FINANCIALLY FROM AN EDUCATED WORKFORCE IN THE MOST DIRECT WAY..

If you’re still not grasping my stance I just cannot make it any clearer Joe.

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22
3 edits

@kevcvs57 said
I did explain it Joe but you are either to thick to understand it or to recalcitrant to accept it.

EDUCATION IS AN INVESTMENT THAT BENEFITS THE WHOLE OF THE ECONOMY AND SOCIETY. THE STUDENT INVESTS THEIR TIME WHEN THEY COULD BE EARNING A SALARY, THE ECONOMY AND SOCIETY SHOULD BE PREPARED TO INVEST FINANCIALLY.
IN PARTICULAR BIG EMPLOYERS SHOULD PAY AN EDUCATION TAX GIV ...[text shortened]... E MOST DIRECT WAY..

If you’re still not grasping my stance I just cannot make it any clearer Joe.
OK. Following you here.
A simple follow up: Today, currently, one qualifies to enter bachelor, masters, doctoral by a test. Right now we have ACT, SAT LSAT tests. What if my son Joe Jr passes and gets admitted, but my son Kev flunks it all. Joe Jr goes to college, , then on to higher education, becomes a doctor. Kev gets a job roofing houses.
That is what we have now. Can you tell us what you think should change here? Your plan seems to give Kev a seat in college.
Your explanation above is a bit philosophical, no offense, I am just trying to get to the meat of the matter.
Please answer.

Edit>. I accidentally said college 'for free' which is an error on my part in this analogy. I erased it from my post.

w

Moves
09 Dec 22

@averagejoe1 said
They considered the merits of your case, Wildgrass. You apparently qualified.
Yeah.

What are you looking for here Joe? Complete and total fairness? That doesn't exist.

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22

@wildgrass said
Yeah.

What are you looking for here Joe? Complete and total fairness? That doesn't exist.
Of course it doesn't, that is the basis of my premise in dealing with lib logic. Some here suggest that no one be 'left out' in any situation, and this college thing is as good a place to start as any. The tuition thing, likewise.
Your question should be....What are liberals looking for? What is the endgame for Kevin, above? Free college for everyone, or the way it is now (we pay), or something in between? What is his 'in-between'?
He will not let you and I get away with 'fairness doesn't exist'.

Kev? Chime in.

Lake Como

Moves
09 Dec 22

What am I looking for? Leave college alone. You do not realize the effect this change in the wind will affect college tuition....it will go up. No matter what y'all do, its effect will drive tuition costs up.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Dec 22

@averagejoe1 said
Then stop avoiding the fact that each case which you reference is considered on its merits. I repeat to you, a liberal, that each case is considered on its merits. Your man Biden woke up one day, and, willy nilly, just said let us forgive student debt. "Let us not consider each case one by one, let us do a blanket forgiveness across the board'...." I pick, let me se ...[text shortened]... onale in that? Is there any consideration of merit? Is that the way to run a government?
Jesus.
Why should I keep explaining the same thing over and over and over again when you're just going to start the same thread with the same lies a day later?

For example, Biden didn't just wake up one day and decide on a partial forgiveness of student debt; it was part of the platform he ran and won on in 2020.

And there is no requirement or past precedent that any loan forgiveness be done only with individualized assessments. PPE loans were forgiven across the board. Moreover, the why for the program has been explained to you at least a dozen times; it's effectively a working and middle class tax cut for a group that was hit hard by the COVID pandemic. These people aren't "losers" but generally overachievers who managed to graduate college despite coming from modest means.