1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '10 23:49
    This quote from a Republican just goes to show what is wrong with America:

After the hearing, King told reporters he doesn’t tune into “The Colbert Report.”

“I’ve never watched his program, so it’s hard for me to recognize when he’s in character and when he isn’t,” King said of Colbert. “But I do understand that many of his programs are in the business of ridiculing people that are in power.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/09/top-republican-on-house-panel-rips-colbert-for-mocking-congress.html

Democrats and Republicans alike think that when they get elected they are "in power". Instead of looking at themselves as servants of society, they see themselves as its master.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 07:24
    I think it's more worrying that this guy apparently does not understand what satire is.
  3. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 07:30
    I don't doubt that's the way many pollies see their position i.e. in power. Any person who aspires to be a polly and get their hands on the reins of power should be automatically disqualified from that position.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 12:174 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    This quote from a Republican just goes to show what is wrong with America:

After the hearing, King told reporters he doesn’t tune into “The Colbert Report.”

“I’ve never watched his program, so it’s hard for me to recognize when he’s in character and when he isn’t,” King said of Colbert. “But I do understand that many of[b] his programs are in the busin . Instead of looking at themselves as servants of society, they see themselves as its master.
    [/b]but isn't this an expression we all use? -- "in 2010, the GOP will regain control of Congress and return to power" or "ever since the Dems have been the ones in power, the economy has fallen apart" or "these candidates are nutcases, do we dare elect them and give them power?"

So perhaps instead of looking at how Democrats and Republicans think, perhaps all Americans need to look in the mirror. When you vote for someone, do you think in terms of "I want that person to be in power so he can give me stuff?" - or do you think "I want that person to serve my country and help to make my country function better.?"
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 12:232 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    but isn't this an expression we all use? -- "in 2010, the GOP will regain control of Congress and return to power" or "ever since the Dems have been the ones in power, the economy has fallen apart" or "these candidates are nutcases, do we dare elect them and give them power?"

So perhaps instead of looking at how Democrats and Republicans think, per I want that person to serve my country and help to make my country function better.?"[/b]
    It IS a position of power, period. There are many sectors of public service that involve all different kinds of power.

Politicians affect legislation that affects our lives.

Police officers have the power of arrest.

The military yields massive amounts of lethal force

The FDA has the power to decide what drugs and foods can be legally sold.

The list goes on.
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 12:231 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    It IS a position of power, period. There are many sectors of public service that involve all different kinds of power.

Politicians affect legislation that affects our lives.

Police officers have the power of arrest.

The military yields massive amounts of physical power
    I thought the police motto was to protect and serve?

Edit: "Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" P J O'Rourke
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 12:262 edits
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I thought the police motto was to protect and serve?
    It is.

Was there a refutation of my statement that police officers have power in there somewhere?

Edit: Nice platitude you quoted. Meanwhile all those laws and taxes forced upon you are done so by politicians... that you somehow imply are without power.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 12:30
    It is.

Was there a refutation of my statement that police officers have power in there somewhere?

Edit: Nice platitude you quoted. Meanwhile all those laws and taxes forced upon you are done so by politicians... that you somehow imply are without power.
    Where did I imply pollies don't have power?
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 12:53
    Where did I imply pollies don't have power?
    If you agree Congressmen have power what are you debating about?
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:25
    If you agree Congressmen have power what are you debating about?
    Man up pooper, just admit it, I didn't imply pollies had no power, why do you even have to pursue it?
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:30
    Man up pooper, just admit it, I didn't imply pollies had no power, why do you even have to pursue it?
    "Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"

If they already have power why would it have to be 'given' to them?
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:33
    "Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"

If they already have power why would it have to be 'given' to them?
    You're embarassing yourself guy. I'm stunned you really need to keep going with this, some kind of mental abberation.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:371 edit
    You're embarassing yourself guy. I'm stunned you really need to keep going with this, some kind of mental abberation.
    In other news you once again failed to provide a substantive rebuttal.

And by the way, you're embarrassing yourself. Note: it has two R's. LOL!

Edit: Don't worry. As a fall back you can always claim it was a typo.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:40
    In other news you once again failed to provide a substantive rebuttal.

And by the way, you're embarrassing yourself. Note: it has two R's. LOL!

Edit: Don't worry. As a fall back you can always claim it was a typo.
    You're correcting grammar on an informal debates board?

In a post where you use 'LOL'?
  15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Sep '10 13:44
    You're correcting grammar on an informal debates board?

In a post where you use 'LOL'?
    Yes. If you're going to run away from substance and resort to ad hominems by insulting my intelligence you might want to actually spell your insults correctly.

Ok, Ok, you're right. I bow down your ability to be an internet troll. I'm SO "embarassed."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree