1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 17:32
    Originally posted by DrKF
    You're still not getting it.

Since the end of WWII, most warfare has taken an asymmetrical/unconventional form, and this, rather than this 'total war' nonsense, seems likely to be the pattern for the foreseeable future. You'd think somebody, somewhere would start to reorganise things in the face of this reality, rather than continuing to prepare for your 'to ...[text shortened]... g a pig's ear, it really doesn't matter who you subsequently wish to blame for that.
    I understand that.i would not disagree if it was stated the U.S. lack of preparedness,bla,bla,bla. But when you put it on the military,I disagree
  2. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 17:35
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I understand that.i would not disagree if it was stated the U.S. lack of preparedness,bla,bla,bla. But when you put it on the military,I disagree
    Nicely truncated:

"And I, at least, didn't even think to ask who was calling the shorts when I spoke of serious tactical and strategic miscalculations in the run-up to war, in the execution of war and then in the occupation. Because, for the purposes of spotting a pig's ear, it really doesn't matter who you subsequently wish to blame for that."
  3. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 20:04
    I don't know when this post got sidetracked but to answer whoody's question: their is no cry to get out because we are getting out. Read some news-
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I got to thinking the other day, where are the cries to leave Iraq? Where are the Cindy Shennans of the world? Are they simply resigned to the fact that "W" is gone and assume Obama will leave?

If Obama spent half his time trying to leave Iraq as he is on these other massive issues such as cap and trade, it seems to me we would be gone by now. Heck, I orists have been appeased by the Messiah's appearence just like that of the average liberal.
    The reason you don't hear much about the lives being lost in Iraq now is because fewer people are dying as a result of this occupation. Contrast this with "W"s track record in Iraq. American troops are in more of an advisory and back up roll now, as they should be. It's pretty clear that Obama made the best of the messy situation he inherited in Iraq. Sorry to hear his success depresses you! 😀
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 21:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    I assumed the U.S. military, having made such a pigs ear of the whole thing, was cowering in its bases, hardly engaging anymore, waiting for Obama to pluck them out of there. Hence the lack of the 'tally of dead' that you seem to miss.
    Cowering! At least they show themselves. They aren't ashamed to say "we are warriors here to fight" with their uniforms and insignia.

It's the ones who don't have the balls to show themselves who are the ones cowering.
  6. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Jun '09 22:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    I got to thinking the other day, where are the cries to leave Iraq? Where are the Cindy Shennans of the world? Are they simply resigned to the fact that "W" is gone and assume Obama will leave?

If Obama spent half his time trying to leave Iraq as he is on these other massive issues such as cap and trade, it seems to me we would be gone by now. Heck, I ...[text shortened]... orists have been appeased by the Messiah's appearence just like that of the average liberal.
    Well whodey I think you know what is going on with that. It isn't up to Obama.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 00:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Cowering! At least they show themselves. They aren't ashamed to say "we are warriors here to fight" with their uniforms and insignia. It's the ones who don't have the balls to show themselves who are the ones cowering.
    You want U.S.'s opponents to stand out in the open? Wearing insignia? Do the uniforms have to be noticeably different from the ones the U.S. uses - like predominantly a different colour?
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 00:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    You want U.S.'s opponents to stand out in the open? Wearing insignia? Do the uniforms have to be noticeably different from the ones the U.S. uses - like predominantly a different colour?
    I would prefer the enemies of the US armed forced to wear uniforms that are pink with purple poka dots. Glow in the dark too. Can you arange it?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Obama never said the US military would be out of Iraq by June 2009. Tomorrow US troops will leave the cities of Iraq as per his plan which also has a scheduled date for all US combat troops to be out of Iraq. Why should people be upset when he does exactly what he says he was going to do?
    True, but he still faces a quandery. If he pulls out like he says he needs to do so before the next election. However, if it then all blows up in the face of the US he will get blamed.

You know, the odds are not too good for him to fare well in this, but I suppose they can then blame Bush once again.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 04:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    As long as they identify themselves instead of cowering in disguise behind old women and babies.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 04:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    As long as they identify themselves instead of cowering in disguise behind old women and babies.
    Still reading your World War 2 comics.
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 05:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Still reading your World War 2 comics.
    your the one who foolishly called american servicemen cowards.what comic book did you crawl out from? American military men cower to no one! We have the greatest military in history.Where have you been?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 06:09
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    your the one who foolishly called american servicemen cowards.
    As it so happens, and for what it's worth, I did not.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 06:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    As it so happens, and for what it's worth, I did not.
    "cowering in its bases" is calling them cowards
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 06:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    What's this got to do with the U.S. military's poor performance since 1945?

The Indonesians secured their own independence from the Japanese, as you well know. Two days after the Japanese surrender in the Pacific, Indonesia declared independence on 17th August 1945. More Indonesians died in WW2 than Americans. The British came for a while and tried to res ...[text shortened]... ans had won their liberty at considerable cost. Got to be a story to make American patriots proud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Indonesia#Japanese_occupation

The Japanese invasion and subsequent occupation during WWII ended Dutch rule,[23] and encouraged the previously suppressed Indonesian independence movement. In May 1940, early in World War II, the Netherlands was occupied by Nazi Germany. The Dutch East Indies declared a state of siege and in July redirected exports for Japan to the US and Britain. Negotiations with the Japanese aimed at securing supplies of aviation fuel collapsed in June 1941, and the Japanese started their conquest of Southeast Asia in December of that year. That same month, factions from Sumatra sought Japanese assistance for a revolt against the Dutch wartime government. The last Dutch forces were defeated by Japan in March 1942.

In July 1942, Sukarno accepted Japan's offer to rally the public in support of the Japanese war effort. Sukarno and Mohammad Hatta were decorated by the Emperor of Japan in 1943. However, experience of the Japanese occupation of Indonesia varied considerably, depending upon where one lived and one's social position. Many who lived in areas considered important to the war effort experienced torture, sex slavery, arbitrary arrest and execution, and other war crimes. Thousands taken away from Indonesia as war labourers (romusha) suffered or died as a result of ill-treatment and starvation. People of Dutch and mixed Dutch-Indonesian descent were particular targets of the Japanese occupation.

In March 1945 Japan organized an Indonesian committee (BPUPKI) on independence. At its first meeting in May, Supomo spoke of national integration and against personal individualism; while Muhammad Yamin suggested that the new nation should claim Sarawak, Sabah, Malaya, Portuguese Timor, and all the pre-war territories of the Dutch East Indies. The committee drafted the 1945 Constitution, which remains in force, though now much amended. On 9 August 1945 Sukarno, Hatta, and Radjiman Wediodiningrat were flown to meet Marshal Hisaichi Terauchi in Vietnam. They were told that Japan intended to announce Indonesian independence on 24 August. After the Japanese surrender however, Sukarno unilaterally proclaimed Indonesian independence on 17 August.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree