1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    07 May '17 19:42
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    Seems Macron has pulled it off. He wasn't my first choice, but I guess he beat Le Pen so oh well...

I hope you do a good job, Mr Macron, otherwise I don't think we have seen the last of the Le Pen dynasty.
    Well done France.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 May '17 21:04
    It seems like European nationalism has taken another kick to the teeth.

Must be making our American Europeans (the English) feel very isolated...
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 May '17 01:281 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Obviously he supports the least rational choice possible.

A real hero.
    Proving that even heroes can have small hands and no brains.
    You're funny dude. Next time your in Australia come and look me up... I'm in serious need of some well humoured company. Cheers, Charlie
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 May '17 01:32
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Macron won. 65%. Le Penn 35%. 74% voter turn out.
    Pretty conclusive.

To me France stands for more than just another country in the world.
    The French have shaped much of the world in all areas. Viva la France
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 May '17 04:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    You're funny dude. Next time your in Australia come and look me up... I'm in serious need of some well humoured company. Cheers, Charlie
    Will do Charlie!
    Got family down there (or over there if you're Freaky and his flat-Earth gang of 1), they've been nagging me to "pop by" for years.

3 main things refrain me though, truth be told:

- I'm scared it's a lie to lure me to fall of the edge of the world.
    - no Alps (and I love the Alps).
    - everything down under is poisonous or has teeth and claws... even the cuddly koala is supposed to be vicious...

Damn...
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    08 May '17 04:44
    Will do Charlie!
    Got family down there (or over there if you're Freaky and his flat-Earth gang of 1), they've been nagging me to "pop by" for years.

3 main things refrain me though, truth be told:

- I'm scared it's a lie to lure me to fall of the edge of the world.
    - no Alps (and I love the Alps).
    - everything down under is poisonous or has teeth and claws... even the cuddly koala is supposed to be vicious...

Damn...
    You are absolutely correct about point number 3, but the antidote for all that danger is dispensed in any of the many pubs the land over...
  7. RSA
    Moves
    08 May '17 04:53
    It seems like European nationalism has taken another kick to the teeth.

Must be making our American Europeans (the English) feel very isolated...
    Hardly. We don't want the endorsement of someone who denied the French role in the holocaust, vowed to repeal gay marriage and wants to remove already ghettoed immigrants. Her support was an embarrassment to brexit. That's why Theresa May refused to meet her.

Kind of like Trump, who commented that "Belgium is a beautiful city". If the man doesn't even know that the EU capital is Brussels, he obviously doesn't understand enough about how the EU works to justify his support for brexit. He is only trying to destroy something he sees as competition for America rather than actually thinking it will be beneficial for the UK. His support undermines those of us who know perfectly well what we want.
  8. RSA
    Moves
    08 May '17 04:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Macron won. 65%. Le Penn 35%. 74% voter turn out.
    Pretty conclusive.

To me France stands for more than just another country in the world.
    The French have shaped much of the world in all areas. Viva la France
    Yes, the land of cultural refinement before cultural refinement was a thing.

Plus, Napoléon was just awesome.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    08 May '17 04:541 edit
    Originally posted by kmax87
    You are absolutely correct about point number 3, but the antidote for all that danger is dispensed in any of the many pubs the land over...
    There are too many weird and not so wonderful creatures in Australia for me to go there.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    08 May '17 06:35
    There are too many weird and not so wonderful creatures in Australia for me to go there.
    It's a bit exaggerated like 'Oh you're from South Africa, don't you like have lions and tigers roaming the place?' I've lived here for 39 years and I've yet to see a red back or a funnel web spider or a brown snake. I've seen plenty of huntsmen spiders, one even lived in a car of mine and used to get my heart going every time I dropped the sun visor, but it was pretty harmless.
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    08 May '17 06:45
    Well I suppose their is one critter you can never be to sure about. Dropbears!

This from Australian Geographic

DROP BEARS TARGET PEOPLE with foreign accents more often than those who are Australian-born, according to new research.

The study, conducted in a drop-bear hot-spot in New South Wales, aimed to gather data around the behaviour and ecology of the elusive species.

There has been relatively little scientific research into the drop bear (Thylarctos plummetus), which the Australian Museum describes as a "large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the koala." Populations are thought mainly to exist in forested coastal regions of eastern and southern Australia, stretching from the Cape York Peninsula to Tasmania.

Tracking drop bear behaviour

Dr Volker Janssen, a research associate at the University of Tasmania, led a research team into Morton National Park, 120km south-west of Sydney, in search of drop bears.

Given that ordinary GPS tracking is difficult to apply to tree-dwelling animals, Volker came up with a new approach to study the animal’s behaviour. “It involves tracking the prey, rather than the predator. The location and timing of attacks is then used to map the animal population,” he says.

Members of the research team were tracked using GPS devices, and dispersed in the study area. The findings, published in the journal Australian Geographer, have revealed that six drop bears inhabit the study area.

"Drop bears are known to be very territorial," says Volker. "They do not stray far from a relatively small number of trees in close proximity that are used as hunting ground."

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/04/drop-bears-target-tourists,-study-says/
  12. RSA
    Moves
    08 May '17 08:48
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39842424

Article summarizing why this has no effect on brexit.
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    08 May '17 15:19

From the article ...."They may feel a little less fearful that Brexit could presage the breakup of the EU. And a less vulnerable EU may feel less determined to make an example of Britain in the negotiations. And that can only be good for Brexit, however hard or soft you want it."

There's a lot of ifs and maybe's in that statement and presumes there will be no rancor, bitterness or score settling as the UK cuts itself free of its Euroshackles. And if Macron follows through on his promise that the UK will not reap an improved, optimized relationship with the EU post Brexit, then the going will get tougher for the poms in the long run.

And before all your British lovelies think to start crawling back up the arse of your Commonwealth bum chums, think again, because over the past 20 years Australia for one has learned to diversify its trade and throw its lot in with China and the emerging South East Asian markets.

So if the boring bunch of old farts who dreamed up Brexit think their olde Empire will drop everything and ride in to their rescue, they should think again.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '17 01:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 May '17 04:06

From that article:

Some Conservative ministers had been quite open in their preference for Francois Fillon, the former centre-right candidate with whom they had more natural, partisan commonalities. But they know they can live with Macron.

The new president is not going to be as Brexit obsessed as some imagine. He has other fish to fry.
    He has to build support and coalitions in the National Assembly where polls suggest his new party may struggle to form a majority in next month's elections.
    He has huge economic problems to deal with at home. And his efforts in Brussels will be focused on gaining support for his own proposals to reform the EU and the eurozone.

Brexit is just one issue on his to-do list. His priority is dealing with France's difficulties and stopping Marine Le Pen winning in 2022.

Now, of course, when President Macron does focus on Brexit, he will naturally be tough on Britain. But that is already the position of the French government. Whitehall has long ruled out any favours from Paris. In many ways, Macron represents continuity.

So the election of President Macron will of course send shivers of relief through the corridors of Brussels. But it won't make the challenge of Brexit any more enormous than it already is.
    And just perhaps, it might make the task a little easier.

Yeah... so.... it doesn't actually summarize anything but one reporter's strung out hope that the new French president might not make matters worse than they already are.

Ending with a typical BBC evening news bit of optimisism.

One sentence a whole article does not make.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree