1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 10:15
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    The next demand could well be government-funded research into possibility of allowing the catamite partner in the 'marriage' to bear offspring.
    Equal parts hysteria, prurience and misanthropy.

Stir-fried homophobia.
  2. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 11:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Equal parts hysteria, prurience and misanthropy.

Stir-fried homophobia.
    Stir-fried? You are getting more rabid and less rational as time goes by.
    Your epithets do nothing to counter the suggested possiblity.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 13:30
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    there is no comparison between gay marriage and the activities you just listed, furthermore, nobody is making any of these things official.
    but nobody is discriminating against people doing any of these things either.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 13:561 edit
    The fact remains that the coupling of the term 'bestiality' with that of 'sodomy' occurs in the URL you directed me to read in support of your notion of the meaning of the latter term.
    When I pointed this out to you you reacted by suggestting that I had a 'fix' on bestiality, a suggestion which is not only a gratuitous insult but also a logical fallacy of which you are evidently ignorant.
    The fact remains that forms of sex, engaged in routinely by homosexuals and heterosexuals alike, is sodomy according to the dictionary (which the URL linked to) and until fairly recently many state laws. This whole side trail of yours into bestiality is a pretty poor attempt to dodge this truth and redirect the dicussion.
  5. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 15:45
    Originally posted by telerion
    The fact remains that forms of sex, engaged in routinely by homosexuals and heterosexuals alike, is sodomy according to the dictionary (which the URL linked to) and until fairly recently many state laws. This whole side trail of yours into bestiality is a pretty poor attempt to dodge this truth and redirect the dicussion.
    You posted the URL which referred to bestiality and linked it to sodomy.
    I do not know whether you are deliberately being obtuse or whether you cannot help it. I have no more time to waste on you in any case.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:413 edits
    I do not know whether you are deliberately being obtuse or whether you cannot help it. I have no more time to waste on you in any case.
    From the link telerion provided, there are a number of definitions of "sodomy".

At the broadest level, it means any kind of sexual intercourse that isn't the traditional "procreative" act. At the most narrow level, it means bestiality.

It seems to me that Sartor was using the definition that refers to homosexual sex, and that Telerion was focusing on the definition that refers to heterosexuals engaging in non-procreative sex. It is extremely obvious that NEITHER was using the term to refer to bestiality.

Given the large scope of the various definitions, the term "sodomy" seems to be a worthless term that serves no real purpose beyond being an epithet aimed towards people whose sexual practices one disapproves.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 16:541 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    In the United States, gay marriage has now been put to a popular vote in 31 states, all in the last few years. It's record?

0-31.

That's right.

0-31.

Chew on that for a moment.

0-31.

Yes, some of those states have been the Mississippis and Arkansas of the World. But other have been Ohio, California, Michigan and now Maine, all Obama states.

ventually anyway; but it will happen faster if they take my advice. Book it.
    i doubt gay marriage gets much foothold nationwide anytime soon, unless the US supreme court says so.

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition_8#Proponents

Proponents
    Official ProtectMarriage.com "Yes on 8" campaign sign.[34]

The ProtectMarriage.com organization sponsored the initiative that placed Proposition 8 on the ballot[35] and continues to support the measure. The measure also attracted the support of a number of political figures and religious organizations.
    [edit] Political figures

Republican presidential nominee and U.S. Senator John McCain released a statement of support for the proposed constitutional amendment.[36] Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich released a video in support. Both characterized the court ruling requiring recognition of same sex marriage as being against the will of the people.[37] Other notable supporters include Republican State Senator Tom McClintock and 20 other Republican State Senators and Assemblymembers.[38]
    [edit] Religious organizations

The Roman Catholic Church,[39] as well as a Roman Catholic lay fraternal organization, the Knights of Columbus,[40] staunchly supported the measure. The bishops of the California Catholic Conference released a statement supporting the proposition,[41] a position met with mixed reactions among church members, including clergy.[42][43]
    Rally for Yes on Prop 8 in Fresno

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,[44][45][46] whose members are commonly known as Mormons, also publicly supported the proposition. The First Presidency of the church announced its support for Proposition 8 in a letter intended to be read in every congregation in California. In this letter, church members were encouraged to "do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time." Local LDS leaders set organizational and monetary goals for their membership—sometimes quite specific—to fulfill this call.[47][48] The response of the LDS membership to their leadership's appeals to donate money and volunteer time was very supportive,[49] such that Latter-day Saints provided a significant source for financial donations in support of the proposition, both inside and outside the State of California.[50] About 45% of out-of-state contributions to ProtectMarriage.com came from Utah, over three times more than any other state.[51] ProtectMarriage, the official proponents of Proposition 8, estimate that about half the donations they received came from LDS sources, and that "eighty to ninety percent" of the early volunteers going door-to-door were LDS.[52] The LDS Church produced and broadcast to its congregations a program describing the opposition to the Proposition, and describing the timeline it proposes for what it describes as grassroots efforts to oppose the Proposition.[53][54]

Other religious organizations that supported Proposition 8 include the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America,[55] Eastern Orthodox Church,[56] a group of Evangelical Christians led by Jim Garlow and Miles McPherson,[57] American Family Association, Focus on the Family[58] and the National Organization for Marriage.[59] Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church, also endorsed the measure.[60]
    Others

The Grossmont Union High School District in San Diego County, California, publicly voted on a resolution endorsing Proposition 8. The Governing Board voted 4-0 to endorse the amendment of the California State Constitution.[61]

The Asian Heritage Coalition held a rally in support of Proposition 8 in downtown San Diego on October 19, 2008.[62]

During the November 2008 election campaign, Porterville's City Council was the only City Council in California that passed a Resolution in favor of Proposition 8.[63]
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 17:182 edits
    I have a proposal.

It is clear that the majority of Americans currently do not want gay people to marry. So the whole concept of limiting sex to only one person for the rest of your life is clearly something that only heterosexuals should consider doing.

With this in mind, the gay population should consider finding alternatives to traditional marriage that the public at large might consider to more acceptable. The gay population could be pioneers in the effort to find something better than the current approach to heterosexual marriage that fails almost half the time.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 17:23
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I have a proposal.

It is clear that the majority of Americans currently do not want gay people to marry. So the whole concept of limiting sex to only one person for the rest of your life is clearly something that only heterosexuals should consider doing.

With this in mind, the gay population should consider finding alternatives to traditional marri ...[text shortened]... thing better than the current approach to heterosexual marriage that fails almost half the time.
    greco-roman orgies!
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 17:302 edits
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    greco-roman orgies!
    So you would be in favor of a government program that created incentives for gays to engage in greco-roman orgies? 😀

At least this would make it less likely for them to get married.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 17:35
    doesn't seem fair to restrict them to gays ... discrimination!
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 18:04
    doesn't seem fair to restrict them to gays ... discrimination!
    The whole point here is to prevent ONLY the gay people from marrying. That's what the American people want. We don't want to also be discouraging heterosexuals from marrying.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 18:22
    dunno ... is adultery still illegal anywhere in the USA?
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 18:433 edits
    dunno ... is adultery still illegal anywhere in the USA?
    adultery? -- not the sort of thing an advocate of traditional marriage would tolerate. Perhaps legal, but definitely taboo. (Well...it at least it should be taboo). So it sounds like something gays should be encouraged to do. I'm sure they can be given a tax break to promote more of it. Anything as long as they're not trying to copy traditional marriages.

Then again....adultery is a part of most traditional marriages...(just don't tell the conservatives about this.)
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 19:55
    I have not ruled out bestiality as falling under the the word sodomy. It's in the the dictionary after all, however sodomy also includes many other sexual acts, many of which heterosexuals engage in. These are included in the very same English dictionary that you are appealing to to include beastiality. They are also enshrined in the now antiquated laws of many US states. For some reason you insist on ignoring these facts.

I would copy and paste the definitions in the link so that your dishonesty could be revealed to even the laziest RHP reader, but I understand that children may frequent these boards so I think it best not to be so explicit.

In the end I think Mel is right. You want to use the word sodomy as an insult and care little for the proper meanings of the word.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree