1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:201 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I personally find it tiresome that people only care about themselves and their 401(k) and can't really be bothered to care about people (yes, they [b]are people, unlike corporations) on welfare, or SS, or disability, or living on the streets. I also find tiresome, in the extreme, people like you and whodey who cynically claim that programs that actual ...[text shortened]... similar excuse to not give to charities because you think these people should just "get a job".[/b]
    Could you be more selfish if you tried? We have an infinite number of programs for the disadvantaged. I certainly have a right to question the government when it takes my hard earned money and gives it to others. You can disagree with priorities but it's time that people take care of themselves and not simply decide that those who achieve should contribute more and more and more and more. It's laughable that you think I should changes my views simply because you wish for the government to help YOU more.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:21
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Was that the era or the error of big government?
    Government is bigger now than it was then.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:22
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Yup; the era of moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans.
    The only time you hear any inkling of concern regarding deficit spending is from the party out of power.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:23
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Was that the era or the error of big government?
    Yes.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:23
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The only time you hear any inkling of concern regarding deficit spending is from the party out of power.
    Because parties in power to increase their influence.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:28
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Because parties in power to increase their influence.
    Those in power have the power of the purse. At that point they don't want any limit on their spending.

Here is Obama saying that massive deficit spending is unpatriotic when Bush was in office.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/01/13/obama-called-smaller-bush-debt-rise-unpatriotic/

Then he gets in there and does the exact same things.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '18 16:40
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Those in power have the power of the purse. At that point they don't want any limit on their spending.

Here is Obama saying that massive deficit spending is unpatriotic when Bush was in office.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/01/13/obama-called-smaller-bush-debt-rise-unpatriotic/

Then he gets in there and does the exact same things.
    Part of the problem is that people is that everyone believes that money is best spent in the manner they wish to spend it. Obama believed that his programs were worth going into deficit for but someone else's program isn't. Trump believes the same about his programs.
    I personally believe we would all be better off if we had smaller government, even if it meant less services, so that we could have more money and then everyone could spend their money on the things they want.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 00:22
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Government is bigger now than it was then.
    Under Bill Clinton, taxes were raised on people with higher incomes and military spending was reduced as a percentage of GNP.

You want to cut or eliminate the deficit? Do so again.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 00:323 edits
    Part of the problem is that people is that everyone believes that money is best spent in the manner they wish to spend it. Obama believed that his programs were worth going into deficit for but someone else's program isn't. Trump believes the same about his programs.
    I personally believe we would all be better off if we had smaller government, even i ...[text shortened]... that we could have more money and then everyone could spend their money on the things they want.
    Smaller government?

Oh dear, an anarchist.

Oh the inhumanity 😛
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 02:02
    Could you be more selfish if you tried? We have an infinite number of programs for the disadvantaged. I certainly have a right to question the government when it takes my hard earned money and gives it to others. You can disagree with priorities but it's time that people take care of themselves and not simply decide that those who achieve should contr ...[text shortened]... you think I should changes my views simply because you wish for the government to help YOU more.
    Selfish?

I think you missed that train by a long shot.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 02:04
    I personally believe we would all be better off if we had smaller government, even i ...[text shortened]... that we could have more money and then everyone could spend their money on the things they want.
    Who's selfish now?

In this post, you JUST said that you wish there were fewer people getting the help they need just so you can have more money. This is entirely selfish.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 04:231 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Who's selfish now?

In this post, you JUST said that you wish there were fewer people getting the help they need just so you can have more money. This is entirely selfish.
    to want to keep that which you have earned is not selfish. Of course a stupid liberal thinks you should give part of your earnings to help support the lazy b***tards that wont work.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 06:09
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    to want to keep that which you have earned is not selfish. Of course a stupid liberal thinks you should give part of your earnings to help support the lazy b***tards that wont work.
    Saying they won't work is a conservative talking point, and it is simply not true.

Do you think homeless vets are "lazy bastards that won't work"? I think they would join me in saying, "F you, and the high horse you rode in on."
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 11:59
    Firstly you don't get paid half of what you have earned.
    Secondly not contributing to those less fortunate than you is selfish.
    Thirdly if you think unemployment is caused by laziness you are a dick.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jan '18 16:08
    Landlords don’t earn their income and insane people aren’t lazy

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree