1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 04:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Merry Christmas to you too. I believe people should measure me, for example, by what I have posted in the past and - perhaps - how they see it changing, if that be the case. If I were to start a thread making some pronouncement about how my posting was going to be different in the future [whilst taking a swipe at "everyone"], then it'd be worthless attention-see ...[text shortened]... in to some meaningless mealy-mouthed reprimand aimed at "everyone". That's my penny's worth. πŸ˜‰
    Merry Christmas FMF.
    You are a jerk. I hope you realize that.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 10:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Merry Christmas to you too. I believe people should measure me, for example, by what I have posted in the past and - perhaps - how they see it changing, if that be the case. If I were to start a thread making some pronouncement about how my posting was going to be different in the future [whilst taking a swipe at "everyone"], then it'd be worthless attention-see ...[text shortened]... in to some meaningless mealy-mouthed reprimand aimed at "everyone". That's my penny's worth. πŸ˜‰
    I think you've misread the OP. It wasn't about "taking a swipe".

"I believe people should measure me,.."

I disagree. That's precisely the wrong thing to do. And that's the whole problem right there. There's far too much judgementalism going on about each other to the point of total distraction. It seems just about everyone is guilty of doing it.

We should keep our opinions about others to ourselves and focus on the topic of discussion.

A simple concept, and the main point of the OP. I'm curious to see how many will get on the bus that's going to get us anywhere.
  3. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 14:49
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm curious to see how many will get on the bus that's going to get us anywhere.[/b]
    Put it this way Jo.
    It wont be standing room only.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 15:20
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Put it this way Jo.
    It wont be standing room only.
    Never give up hope Captain. Just maybe everyone else is as tired of having the negative feelings that come with putting others down as we all are of reading it.

For example: It's one thing to say, "that's the most disgusting idea I've ever heard, and it could only have come from a demented and irrational mind void of knowledge and understanding".

Or;

"You're a perverted and disgusting little bastard without a shred of decency or common sense, and you smell really bad too, like your mother".

Anyone can hurl verbal abuse. It's too easy. It derails the debate, and it's immature. Personal references come from the insecure. Insecure people don't need a debate. They need counseling.

Aside from good natured jesting, name calling and vicious insults should be met with a ban. A day, week, month or more depending on how egregious is the post.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 16:09
    Greetings Joseph!

I am a clammer. I prefer white creamy chowder to tomatoey chowder.

Cheers,
    moonbus
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 17:09
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Greetings Joseph!

I am a clammer. I prefer white creamy chowder to tomatoey chowder.

Cheers,
    moonbus
    Oh, l see! A clambering, clamorous, clamouring, clammerer. πŸ˜‰

Cheers to you moonbus.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 19:13
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    clamber ???

I've not seen that word used like that before.
    Is that US usage or a regional thing?
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/clamber

It's actually a real word.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 20:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Clamber- : to climb or crawl in an awkward way.

Clamor- : a loud continuous noise (such as the noise made when many people are talking or shouting.

I think I should have checked before using the first spelling. But both will do. πŸ˜‰
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 21:021 edit
    Aside from good natured jesting, name calling and vicious insults should be met with a ban. A day, week, month or more depending on how egregious is the post.
    No. I hate police states. Let people vent and/or disgrace themselves as they need.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 22:32
    Originally posted by apathist
    No. I hate police states. Let people vent and/or disgrace themselves as they need.
    Everyone except those that control the state hates despotism, but I think that's a bit of an extreme analogy when referring to this forum.

The debate is governed by rules that apply to everyone equally. Those that violate those rules sabotage the debate. They should be banned so that the rest can enjoy a constructive and enlightening debate.

You know, like the one you and I are having right now. Surely you wouldn't want me to start pummeling you with insults just because I disagree with you would you?

Without a degree of mutual civility there is anarchy and chaos. That's not a debate. It's war.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 23:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Of course it's a real word.
    I said it was the usage I had not seen before.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 23:41
    Of course it's a real word.
    I said it was the usage I had not seen before.
    You were right to make the call. I used the wrong word.

Homonyms you know! πŸ˜›
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 23:51

... That's precisely the wrong thing to do.
    ... There's far too much judgementalism going on about each other
    ... We should keep our opinions about others to ourselves
    Interesting.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 02:361 edit
    Interesting.
    It will be if I can do it.

Or rather, not do it. πŸ˜‰
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 14:57
    Everyone except those that control the state hates despotism, but I think that's a bit of an extreme analogy when referring to this forum.

The debate is governed by rules that apply to everyone equally. Those that violate those rules sabotage the debate. They should be banned so that the rest can enjoy a constructive and enlightening debate.

You know, ...[text shortened]...
    Without a degree of mutual civility there is anarchy and chaos. That's not a debate. It's war.
    Josephw,

On an internet chess site...It can not be a war! Unless you are talking about a war or words, which is usually what ends up happening. Always was that way long as I can remember. I've been around for 10 plus years. Others have been around longer. Perhaps they can remember different times.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree