A game that is not Chess...

A game that is not Chess...

General

c

Moves
23 Oct 12

Hi,

Did I just make this account? Yes. Am I an interloper in your community? Yes. So, I am going to tread lightly, very lightly. I am working on a game for Linux and Windows, turn based strategy, it plays much like a table top war game, it could be described as "chess on steroids." I am not giving a link to the site or even mentioning the name of the game, because I know that unsolicited advertising is frowned upon, always. We are just starting to build a community for the game. We need skilled players to find game balance issues. In chess my Elo rating is 1596, decent but not great; as a play tester for the game I don't feel that I am capable of creating the dominant strategies and tactics that we need to find in case they create issues with game balance. I think that strong chess players can definitely take this game to a high level of play to test game balance. I also think that you might really enjoy this game. If this sounds interesting to anyone please let me know and I'll keep talking, otherwise I can take a hint and I'll just disappear myself back into the ether from whence I came.

Cheers,

Jordan Brock

c
¯\_(^.^)_/¯

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by carnator
Hi,

Did I just make this account? Yes. Am I an interloper in your community? Yes. So, I am going to tread lightly, very lightly. I am working on a game for Linux and Windows, turn based strategy, it plays much like a table top war game, it could be described as "chess on steroids." I am not giving a link to the site or even mentioning the name of t ...[text shortened]... ll just disappear myself back into the ether from whence I came.

Cheers,

Jordan Brock
I would be interested in such a game providing you can supply more information, would it be turn based between lots of players such as some PBEM strategy or more 1 vs 1, would it be a fee paying game or free? If it is fee paying what is the level and frequency of charges. Is it some sort of social network game(for the love of God I hope not). If it is not fee paying, why are you involved in such a project? As a war game would I control an army or just a warrior? You can PM me a link to the website if you so wish.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
23 Oct 12

Hi,

Did I just make this account? Yes. Am I an interloper in your community? Yes. So, I am going to tread lightly, very lightly. I am working on a game for Linux and Windows, turn based strategy, it plays much like a table top war game, it could be described as "chess on steroids." I am not giving a link to the site or even mentioning the name of t ...[text shortened]... ll just disappear myself back into the ether from whence I came.

Cheers,

Jordan Brock
I'd very much like to hear more, but I'm afraid you'll find it hard posting anything further detail here..I'd be happy to see and evaluate it, but in case this thread is pulled please forward any contact info' via the RHP messenger. Cheers, Dean.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
23 Oct 12

Hi,

Cheers,

Jordan Brock
[irishaccent]If I play the game, do I get to kill Englishmen?[/irishaccent]

c

Moves
23 Oct 12

@cadwah yes it is turn based 1v1 online multiplayer, no PBEM support at the moment, possibly not ever as although all actions are turn based, there are enough actions back and forth that PBEM would be interminably slow going. In order to simplify DRM, you can demo the game for free forever using a Default Deployment (army), which is a solid load-out, in no way crippled. By paying a one-time fee (purchasing the game) you unlock a Deployment Editor that allows you to customize to your heart's content. So, if we are comparing it to chess, imagine that the players demoing the game are using the standard 16 piece configuration, while the paid players have the ability to swap out 3 pawns for a bishop, start the game with both rooks on one side of the board, etc. Demoing for free lets us grow the community, and paying gets you all features (so its not "pay to win."😉 Yes you control a whole army configurable how you want, based on a point system (you get 5,000 points to spend), your units are split amongst 3 squads however you want. In addition to units you have a deck of "satellite cards" that are the only thing in the game that introduce any uncertainty. Combat in the game is strictly deterministic, as is chess, the card system allows there to be a bit of uncertainty (i.e. when you enter combat you don't know if your opponent is holding some defensive buff card that thwarts your attack). The card system provides for some uncertainty without the game being truly random like many turn based games (where there is dice rolling and such).

@RevRsleeker yeah I won't post a link or anything specific up here until several more venerated members of the community say it is ok to.

c

Moves
23 Oct 12

@ChessPraxis hah, braveheart is my all time favorite movie 🙂 shortly after this quote he saves wallace while hunting, the bagpipe music that plays right after is so freaking good. um, no, no englishmen, robots, you get to kill robots

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Oct 12

@cadwah yes it is turn based 1v1 online multiplayer, no PBEM support at the moment, possibly not ever as although all actions are turn based, there are enough actions back and forth that PBEM would be interminably slow going. In order to simplify DRM, you can demo the game for free forever using a Default Deployment (army), which is a solid load-out, in no ...[text shortened]... g specific up here until several more venerated members of the community say it is ok to.
Can I suggest you make a couple of moves first then it won't look so spammy also maybe have a private forum through a club or something 🙂

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by Silverstriker
Can I suggest you make a couple of moves first then it won't look so spammy also maybe have a private forum through a club or something 🙂
I'll play him, I think he's English. 😕

c

Moves
23 Oct 12

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
I'll play him, I think he's English. 😕
i'll play you but it says you are already playing ur max concurrent games. i'm american btw.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
23 Oct 12

i'll play you but it says you are already playing ur max concurrent games. i'm american btw.
I already sent the game. Look at the top right hand corner of your page for an EZ link to the game. You have white (I went random color) Best of luck and have a good time. 😀

c
¯\_(^.^)_/¯

Moves
24 Oct 12

yes it is turn based 1v1 online multiplayer, no PBEM support at the moment, possibly not ever as although all actions are turn based, there are enough actions back and forth that PBEM would be interminably slow going. In order to simplify DRM, you can demo the game for free forever using a Default Deployment (army), which is a solid load-out, in no way cr ...[text shortened]... g specific up here until several more venerated members of the community say it is ok to.
You could post the link to the game in your profile message, then only people interested enough to click on it are being spammed 😉

c

Moves
24 Oct 12

@cadwah okay i mentioned it on my profile page, if you view my profile u can see it. The game is not finished (if you see the website the not-finishedness will be readily apparent), but the game is very much playable in its entirety, it is just missing some paint here and there, a special effect here and there, etc. So, time to start building a community of players to see if it is actually fun/tactically interesting/balanced/etc. The community is tiny right now (like 0), so hit me up on the chat client for a match if you want to try it out (I am carnator there as well).

@ChessPraxis your move 🙂

C

Moves
24 Oct 12

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
[irishaccent]If I play the game, do I get to kill Englishmen?[/irishaccent]
Killing Englishmen has been a sport enjoyed by many for over a thousand years. Scandinavians, Normans, French, Spanish, Irish, Scottish, Germans...

...so many Englishmen, so little time...

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by cadwah
You could post the link to the game in your profile message, then only people interested enough to click on it are being spammed 😉
Now this is a good idea.

c

Moves
25 Oct 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
Now this is a good idea.
Yes, I mentioned the game and put a link in my profile. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.