1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 01:00
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Ever since our paths first crossed, you have posted hundreds, perhaps thousands, of copy/pastes in these forums. How many times during all these years did you secure written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property? My guess is never, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for your interest in this fascinating topic.
    "How many times during all these years did you secure written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property?"
    _____________________-

Have always read the fine print first; most recently this website's which prohibits Copy & Paste prior to obtaining the author's approval: Please access

http://www.readinggroupchoices.com/reading-groups/advice-tips/10-tips-on-starting-and-running-a-book-club

which I posted in reply to drewnogal on page sixteen of "Memo". ~Bob.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 01:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "How many times during all these years did you secure written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property?"
    _____________________-

Have always read the fine print first; most recently this website's which prohibits Copy & Paste prior to obtaining the author's approval: Please acces ...[text shortened]... nd-running-a-book-club

which I posted in reply to drewnogal on page sixteen of "Memo". ~Bob.
    The question remains: How many times have you sought written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property here at RHP?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 07:091 edit
    The question remains: How many times have you sought written permission from an author before quoting his or her intellectual property here at RHP?
    Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
    so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue..
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 11:59
    Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
    so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue..
    STAY ON TOPIC OR LEAVE!!! Damn hypocrite!
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 16:24
    I agree, it's not an emotional issue. It's just a simple question that seeks a simple answer: Have you ever, even once, sought explicit permission from an author before quoting his or her written or spoken material in one of your posts?
  6. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 16:401 edit
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 17:473 edits
    I agree, it's not an emotional issue. It's just a simple question that seeks a simple answer: Have you ever, even once, sought explicit permission from an author before quoting his or her written or spoken material in one of your posts?
    You don't need to get the explicit permission from an author or the copyright holder to use a portion of their work if its for 'fair use' and looking at Bobbys posts his use of any copy and pasted material fit with 'fair use', under US law.

they do not infringe upon or cause detriment in anyway to

the purpose and character of the use of the work
    the nature of the copyrighted work
    the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the work
    the effect of the use on the market for the original

Now that being the case why would he seek the authors express and explicit permission if his use of any material is considered 'fair use', under US law?
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You don't need to get the explicit permission from an author or the copyright holder to use a portion of their work if its for 'fair use' and looking at Bobbys posts his use of any copy and pasted material fit with 'fair use', under US law.

they do not infringe upon or cause detriment in anyway to

the purpose and character of the use of the wor ...[text shortened]... press and explicit permission if his use of any material is considered 'fair use', under US law?
    I agree with you.. we're on the same page. I raised the question when Bobby took me to task for not getting written permission from an author whose work I quoted.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 20:18
    I agree with you.. we're on the same page. I raised the question when Bobby took me to task for not getting written permission from an author whose work I quoted.
    I see, then Bobby has learned something and everyone's a winner 😀
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 02:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I see, then Bobby has learned something and everyone's a winner 😀
    Indeed, though Bobby never learned to admit he's wrong.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 02:25
    ~o-o~

"Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
    so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue.."
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 03:01
    ~o-o~

"Whenever a website contained wording similar to your quotation I aborted the site and pursued other search menu options,
    so there was never any need to do so. This is simply a precautionary internet procedure not an emotional issue.."
    Are you really that thickheaded, or is this just another one of your juvenile games?

Clean your eyeglasses and acquaint yourself with the fair use doctrine as it applies to the Internet.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 03:02
    Are you really that thickheaded, or is this just another one of your juvenile games?

Clean your eyeglasses and acquaint yourself with the fair use doctrine as it applies to the Internet.
    Noted.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 11:03
    Originally posted by Flower04
    best post on this thread up to here.
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    31 Dec '15 16:55
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    best post on this thread up to here.
    The silence of the lambs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree