1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 23:54
    There is the god thing, but let's be okay with that for now.

What? Okay fine I can drink too much, get over that and back to the thread.

Step one in AA is to admit you are powerless. OMFG could you design a bigger fail plan.
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 00:19
    Originally posted by apathist

Step one in AA is to admit you are powerless. OMFG could you design a bigger fail plan.
    So what's that about then?

Are you admitting you are an alcoholic?

If so, well done. Now you know you have a problem
    you can begin to solve it. We all have our shortcomings.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 00:37
    No, Johnny. Could you try harder to miss any points?

btw alcohol is not a problem, but meth is. I'm keeping that fact a secret tho, all right?
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 00:41

btw alcohol is not a problem, but meth is. I'm keeping that fact a secret tho, all right?
    Whatever you say........................................................................
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 01:222 edits

Glad you have come to this forum. Get some help. Try www.24houraddictionhelp.org
    I just found it on line. I am sure there will be understanding and caring people who will help you through this.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 04:32

It's rude to play with your phone during the meeting. 😕
  7. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 04:49
    so, you're saying that you're out of batteries?
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 23:54
    lol What a witty bunch.

I also have a problem with the serenity prayer. Its kinda cool, in its way, but has a built-in logic error that makes it hard for me to pretend that it isn't too stupid. Go look! I expect all you wits to easily find the flaw.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    13 Jun '13 23:56
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Glad you have come to this forum. Get some help. Try www.24houraddictionhelp.org
    I just found it on line. I am sure there will be understanding and caring people who will help you through this.
    But I don't want to stop eating chocolate.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Jun '13 21:16
    The success rate of recovery through AA is LOWER than spontaneous recovery. That fact meshes nicely with the op point.

Also, the vaunted 12 steps are nearly worthless. Eight of them bother-gods, two are debatable, and a couple make enough sense that of course you already include them in your mental landscape.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jun '13 06:241 edit
    The basic problem with AA is that after listening to people tell you about their battles with the drink, all you want to do is have one.

I've heard many who have tried to quit encounter this most obvious problem.

I've attended quite a few meetings myself, but always with a pinch of salt.

I had a friend who took their advice so literally that he actually cut off all contacts with his past, including non-drinking friends and even his children because he was told to disascosiate completely from his past. 🙄

Also some people are never going to quit, it's better to advise them to cut down. More realistic anyway.

Once again we find this one-size-fits-all approach to a problem does not work. This Christian attitude of being powerless is self-defeating, if you really think about it.
    I believe drinking in excess to be symptomatic of a greater problem.

Too much focus on drinking without any real creative solutions to the problem, actually without really identifying the real problem is going to lead one back to the drink or even if "succesful" the recovering alcoholic will be forced to admit that although they may not have had a drink in 20 years that they are still an alcoholic. Just ridiculous.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Jun '13 00:09
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I had a friend who took their advice so literally that he actually cut off all contacts with his past, including non-drinking friends and even his children because he was told to disascosiate completely from his past. 🙄
    Yeah, but if you have someone that is so gullible they will do everything an authority figure says without question, then whose problem is that?
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 01:13
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yeah, but if you have someone that is so gullible they will do everything an authority figure says without question, then whose problem is that?
    Yours. Ours. You do realize that, right? You don't need examples of the sorts of things the gullible might be told to do by authority figures that might upset you, right?

Btw, turns out Bill, the AA founder, maybe quit drinking, but his other addictions went into overdrive.

And another point: AA, which preaches the abstinence of mind-altering substances (and gave birth to NA and this-A and that-A) freaking enables tobacco and caffeine addictions.

Another btw: I wish someones would confirm or deny or question the op point. I do realize that when I think about a subject for a while and then try to share, I tend to boil it down till its a bit hard to chew, and also that this is merely a general forum, but good grief.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 15:20
    Yours. Ours. You do realize that, right? You don't need examples of the sorts of things the gullible might be told to do by authority figures that might upset you, right?

Btw, turns out Bill, the AA founder, maybe quit drinking, but his other addictions went into overdrive.

And another point: AA, which preaches the abstinence of mind-altering substan ...[text shortened]... down till its a bit hard to chew, and also that this is merely a general forum, but good grief.
    What can I say dude - your analysis was just so masterful, there was nothing constructive left to add. 🙄
  15. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 15:32
    I have friends who use a program through the local Unitarian Universalist church. It is not AA and I am sure there is NO prayer. Many UU's are atheists and agnostics. A few are theists but not believers in any sort of "My God is the only God and if you don't accept that you are bound for hell or maybe my sharp sword."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree