Moves
    15 Jan '21 19:03
    Boss scran
    Go head
    The bizzies
    Snowin Joeys
    A bevvy
    A bifter...

If you can get all six I'll leave the bottom two behind the bar at the Tavern on the Board for you.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 19:19
    @indonesia-phil said
    And of course we haven't got into cockney rhyming slang yet.
    Nor indeed Polari.

And then there's things like "tired and emotional", or "Arkell vs. Pressdram"; or "Mrs. Trellis from North Wales"; or "you may very well say that".
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 04:47
    @indonesia-phil said
    It would definitely help, and being able to trace the genetic lineage back to Queen Victoria is essential, otherwise they wouldn't count.
    I don't get it, Phil. I have to *assume* the King of Thailand has no lineage from Queen Vic, eh? Yet he is the respected King.

Hmmm.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 10:42
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I don't get it, Phil. I have to *assume* the King of Thailand has no lineage from Queen Vic, eh? Yet he is the respected King.

Hmmm.
    Yes, I'm sorry, I'm prone to saying things sometimes that should not be taken too literally. I've got in trouble before in these forums for doing this...It's true that Victoria married her various offspring into various royal European families, but I'll give you the king of Thailand.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 10:502 edits
    @relentless-red said
    Boss scran
    Go head
    The bizzies
    Snowin Joeys
    A bevvy
    A bifter...

If you can get all six I'll leave the bottom two behind the bar at the Tavern on the Board for you.
    Brass monkeys (cold enough to freeze the balls off . . . ).

Articulated lorry (that’s just a Mac truck).

The man on the Clapham bus.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 11:45
    @moonbus said

Apple Inc. notwithstanding, I do believe it is a Mack truck. 🙂

macktrucks.com
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 11:51
    US has “trash” (or used to).

In the UK we used to have “rubbish” and “rubbish tips”, now we have “recycling” and “recycling centres”.

Years ago we had “dustbins” which were metal cylindrical bins with a metal lid. These were for “dust” or actually “ash” from the fireplace. Over the years “dustbin” became synonymous with “rubbish bin” but has finally disappeared from general use.

Recycling Centres in the UK are complex places where the personnel can turn a chore of unloading a vehicle full of “waste” into a nightmare of jobsworthism or a relative pleasure. Experiences seem to vary across the country.
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 11:51
    @moonbus said

I think the man on the Clapham omnibus would prefer the traditional version old man (as the nesh southern jessies might say).

Well go to the bottom of our stairs (as you would hear in Yorkshire if you said something meant to surprise that was not felt to be surprising).
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 11:52
    @suzianne said

macktrucks.com
    America seems to have the best, or at least the biggest trucks in the world.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 12:31
    @suzianne said

macktrucks.com
    Oops. Touche.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 12:321 edit
    @divegeester said
    America seems to have the best, or at least the biggest trucks in the world.
    Australian road trains knock every other truck into a cocked hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 12:34
    A "rubber" (I don't mean in bridge) is a condom in American English, an eraser in British English.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 12:401 edit
    @relentless-red said
    I think the man on the Clapham omnibus would prefer the traditional version old man (as the nesh southern jessies might say).

Well go to the bottom of our stairs (as you would hear in Yorkshire if you said something meant to surprise that was not felt to be surprising).
    "The man on the Clapham bus" refers to any normal, sensible person, any John Doe, and what he would do or think in a given situation. Sometimes referred to in law as meaning what amount of due care and attention can be expected of any citizen going about his daily affairs.

An "average Joe", if you discount the coincidental reference to a certain RHP persona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_the_Clapham_omnibus
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 13:12
    @moonbus

Sorry, I was just being pedantic and pointing out that the traditional saying is omnibus not bus!
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '21 13:14
    @moonbus said
    Australian road trains knock every other truck into a cocked hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train
    Impressive length! I think they use those in the US.

I had in mind the truck itself, the engine. But I suppose Auz will have the same.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree