1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 23:21
    What phrases or words do or don’t translate?

US: Give me a boost

UK: Give me a leg up
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 00:09
    uk - cherrio! (have a nice day)
    us - cherrios (breakfast cereal)
  3. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:21
    “Don’t over-egg the pudding”

I had not heard that one until a British friend admonished me
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:24
    knackered...I like this one a lot!

We can say “exhausted” but it doesn’t quite have the same meaning.

It amuses me that it started out having sexual connotations and now still sort of does but it’s acceptable for a child to say (at least, that is what I have been told.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:25
    4:20
  6. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:25
    chuffed

I have actually felt this pleased, yet have not found another word quite like it to express this level of pleasure.
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:29
    @trev33 said
    4:20
    We use this one. When I was looking for an apartment in the Pacific Northwest (where it’s legal), my nearly 80 year old mother was assisting my search looked it up because so many adverts mentioned “4:20 friendly”...
  8. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:35
    Pronunciations are another thing. Ask an American to say

glacier

schedule

Shropshire

Ask a Brit to say

Aluminum (try as I might I can’t get this pronunciation but I LOVE hearing it)
  9. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:40
    Cricket...I spent the wee (another word not commonly used here) hours very confused whilst (still, another word) receiving remedial explanations until someone told be it was a sport that involved the consumption of beer by spectators for its five day duration, starting at breakfast. Now, it doesn’t matter how confused I am.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 02:53
    @hakima said
    We use this one. When I was looking for an apartment in the Pacific Northwest (where it’s legal), my nearly 80 year old mother was assisting my search looked it up because so many adverts mentioned “4:20 friendly”...
    I had never heard this until a couple of months ago and I used to smoke a little, I think it's an American term.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 07:24
    Shall I knock you up in the morning?
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 07:32
    @hakima said
    Cricket...I spent the wee (another word not commonly used here) hours very confused whilst (still, another word) receiving remedial explanations until someone told be it was a sport that involved the consumption of beer by spectators for its five day duration, starting at breakfast. Now, it doesn’t matter how confused I am.
    Ya, cricket. Ask certain Englishmen, myself included, what is the finest (summer) sport in the world (Rugby Union in the winter) and they'll say cricket; non cricket playing countries will quite understandably not have a clue why we would say this. We're born to it, I guess. I have a theory (not shared by many, I confess) that 'Brexit' was nothing about economics, self - governance or any of the other oft quoted reasons, but rather that none of the other EU countries play cricket to any serious degree.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 08:12
    @hakima said
    knackered...I like this one a lot!

We can say “exhausted” but it doesn’t quite have the same meaning.

It amuses me that it started out having sexual connotations and now still sort of does but it’s acceptable for a child to say (at least, that is what I have been told.
    It started out with the knacker's yard where horses were taken to be castrated. So if you are knackered you are done in, but now in a less specific way!

Obviously I find it easier to announce that I am going out the back for a fag than my American equivalent. Mind you times are changing (I would now be judged for having the cigarette 😂).
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 08:39
    The Spy Who Shagged Me.
  15. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:21
    Home run

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree