1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 18:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is equally as confusing and not very helpful.
    Think of affect as being cause, or better yet related to cause.
    You already know the difference between cause and effect, so if said cause is the cause of an effect then it can be said a cause affects the effect... of...

... the cause.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 18:16
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Think of affect as being cause, or better yet related to cause.
    You already know the difference between cause and effect, so if said cause is the cause of an effect then it can be said a cause affects the effect... of...

... the cause.
    ?
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 18:25
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    ?
    Ya that's what I was going to say, just 'cause.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 18:561 edit
    this is equally as confusing and not very helpful.
    What I posted is a perfectly adequate explaination of what your OP was asking.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 19:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What I posted is a perfectly adequate explaination of what your OP was asking.
    No it wasn't, you're a rubbish teacher, Handy Andy has proffered the best explanation so far.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:101 edit
    No it wasn't, you're a rubbish teacher, Handy Andy has proffered the best explanation so far.
    What I posted was a perfectly good explaination of the differenciation between the two words. However, I didn't expect you to like my offering, because as usual you will allow your better judgment to be clouded by your dislike of me.
    It's fine 🙂
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:17
    What I posted was a perfectly good explaination of the differenciation between the two words. However, I didn't expect you to like my offering, because as usual you will allow your better judgment to be clouded by your dislike of me.
    It's fine 🙂
    and you think I have a liking for Handy Andy and yet I was objective enough to give credit where credit is due. My dislike of you is not enough to make me act out of spite, sorry but your text was not very helpful.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:21
    ...your text was not very helpful.
    Perhaps you can explain why?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:271 edit
    Perhaps you can explain why?
    yes sure,

The effect of doing X to Z was Y

Doing X may affect Z and the effect could be Y - divegeester

This is confusing, is a poor illustration of the use of the terms and is of little practical value.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:321 edit
    I always thought of affect as being like affection, a kind of emotion. He was affected because he lost twelve hundred pounds sterling at the races. The effect of this was that his wife chucked him out and bought a cat instead.

Is this correct usage?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:35
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    To make things easier I have put the wheels in motion to eliminate the word 'affect' from the English language.

It is possible the Queen will ignore my letter.
    you could climb up a drain pipe at the Palace and try to speak to her about it? I'd really appreciate it if you don't mind.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:431 edit
    yes sure,

The effect of doing X to Z was Y

Doing X may affect Z and the effect could be Y - divegeester

This is confusing, is a poor illustration of the use of the terms and is of little practical value.
    All you have done is copied a portion of my post and repeated your claim. You haven't explained why it is confusing, a poor illustration and of no practical use.

Are you sure you are not just upset with me Robbie? 😉
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:45
    I always thought of affect as being like affection, a kind of emotion. He was affected because he lost twelve hundred pounds sterling at the races. The effect of this was that his wife chucked him out and bought a cat instead.

Is this correct usage?
    If someone answers whom you don't like, will you believe them?
  14. In your face
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 20:57
    Can someone explain, illustrate and make a practical application of the difference between affect and effect. Honestly I have tried to look up articles on-line but still have trouble grasping the subtle differences. I remain capable of rational thought - thanks in advance - Robbie.
    One last free Ingerlish lesson before sweaty sockland sinks?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '16 21:261 edit
    All you have done is copied a portion of my post and repeated your claim. You haven't explained why it is confusing, a poor illustration and of no practical use.

Are you sure you are not just upset with me Robbie? 😉
    ok, it uses letters, X,Y and Z almost like a logic equation rather than focus on how the terms are used in a practical sense. Thus the illustration is poor and of little practical use. It would have been much better and less confusing if you had used the terms in a sentence that people use everyday as I had the good sense to do. Honestly I found your explanation almost intelligible and suspect that it was intended to be so. No I am not upset with you, not enough to dispense with reading your text about affect and effect.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree