1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 12:30
    In Enfield, North London (near the B&Q) there was for a long time a rather dodgy looking burger van proudly displaying the sign 'Ambience.'

It always made me chuckle to read this, as more often than not builders would be seated at the table in front of the van, tucking in to their greasy burgers and hotdogs. I was never quite sure if the chosen name for the van was British sarcasm at work, or if the owner sincerely believed the presence of his van did indeed deliver a mood of ambience to the area.

How sad I was on a recent trip to B&Q (leaky pipe, long story) to discover that the sigh of 'Ambience' had been painted over in bright orange. Had the sarcasm worn thin? Had the owner woken up one morning and simply no longer felt the ambience?

In the interest of giving this pointless thread a shot at longevity, are there any other businesses you have encountered with curiously chosen names?

(Apologies if I posted this previously. Meant to a while ago but memory fails me........Maybe too many burgers).
  2. The World
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 12:33
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    In Enfield, North London (near the B&Q) there was for a long time a rather dodgy looking burger van proudly displaying the sign 'Ambience.'

It always made me chuckle to read this, as more often than not builders would be seated at the table in front of the van, tucking in to their greasy burgers and hotdogs. I was never quite sure if the chosen n ...[text shortened]... posted this previously. Meant to a while ago but memory fails me........Maybe too many burgers).
    Not quiet the same concept, but am I the only one to be irritated by 'Nu' being int eh names of businesses, rather than the 50% longer 'New'?

Probably just me, but I saw a business sign saying "Nu Yu", it was some sort of beauty parlour type of affair, so not designed for old men like me, but I would refuse to go in regardless. Was the sign signigficanly cheaper by having less letters?

Sorry, I'll go back an hibernate now!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 12:40
    Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts
    Not quiet the same concept, but am I the only one to be irritated by 'Nu' being int eh names of businesses, rather than the 50% longer 'New'?

Probably just me, but I saw a business sign saying "Nu Yu", it was some sort of beauty parlour type of affair, so not designed for old men like me, but I would refuse to go in regardless. Was the sign signigficanly cheaper by having less letters?

Designed to appeal to young folks who like alternate facts🙂
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:10
    Originally posted by @paul-a-roberts

I personally dislike shop names that seem to instruct me how to behave. An example would be a local cafe called 'Enjoy Cafe.'

I'd prefer to withhold judgement on the enjoyment, until sampling the quality of their full English breakfast.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:27
    In the interest of giving this pointless thread a shot at longevity, are there any other businesses you have encountered with curiously chosen names?
    Red Hot Pawn
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:412 edits
    www.penisland.net

They specialize in wood :/
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:47
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    www.penisland.net

They specialize in wood :/
    Could that be Pen Island?
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 15:52
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Red Hot Pawn
    Too ridiculous. You lie.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 16:44
    Originally posted by @russ
    Too ridiculous. You lie.
    As the legal owner of this thread sir, one instructs you to explain your thinking process in coming up with the name for this site.

(Curious if any other names were in the running).
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 17:153 edits
    How about this Blog Post 1
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 18:12
    Originally posted by @russ
    How about this Blog Post 1
    Ah interesting. The things we learn when we ask.
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 18:27
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Red Hot Pawn
    A strategically placed "r" and you could have yourself a seafood truck. 😀
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 18:33
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    A strategically placed "r" and you could have yourself a seafood truck. 😀
    The Ghost sees potential in your humour, young padawan.
  14. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    20 Oct '17 20:52

It always made me chuckle to read this, as more often than not builders would be seated at the table in front of the van, tucking in to their greasy burgers and hotdogs. I was never quite sure if the chosen n ...[text shortened]... posted this previously. Meant to a while ago but memory fails me........Maybe too many burgers).
    The guy had high hopes for his roach coach.

Came across an ironing service called ' Iron Maiden.'
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 04:10

John Waters was remarking in a dvd commentary how Baltimore was covered in these big ads saying simply "believe" and how he thought that these billboards actually helped the overall morale in the place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree