1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 May '23 06:321 edit
    @divegeester said
    If you are indeed a “completely new person” then you would no longer be the person who did the bad thing and therefore not culpable.
    So, it's like a confession in church. You apologize and that's it. Or like criminals do - they get drunk, do things and can't remember what they did.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 May '23 06:35
    @torunn said
    So, it's like a confession in church. You apologize and that's it.
    In church confession you are the same person, not a biologically regenerated “completely new person”.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 May '23 06:38
    @divegeester said
    In church confession you are the same person, not a biologically regenerated “completely new person”.
    Agree, it's not quite the same, but changing cells every seven years and expect to be forgiven every time you do it for things you did in the meantime as a totally different person - no, it's not right.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 May '23 06:40
    @torunn said
    Agree, it's not quite the same, but changing cells every seven years and expect to be forgiven every time you do it for things you did in the meantime as a totally different person - no, it's not right.
    If you were a “completely new person” then you would no longer be the person you were in any way whatsoever and therefore you would not need to be forgiven as you would have never done the bad thing in question.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 May '23 06:47
    @divegeester said
    If you were a “completely new person” then you would no longer be the person you were in any way whatsoever and therefore you would not need to be forgiven as you would have never done the bad thing in question.
    But the consequences of your previous actions would still be there. You killed somebody and that person is gone. You live as a new being with your new cells but what you did is still a fact. I say no to this.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 May '23 07:06
    @divegeester said
    What if the criminal acts were committed by an atheist who subsequently found God and was 'born again.' Is being born again not analogous with becoming a completely new person?

“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Cor. 5:17).
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    31 May '23 07:09
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    What if the criminal acts were committed by an atheist who subsequently found God and was 'born again.' Is being born again not analogous with becoming a completely new person?

“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Cor. 5:17).
    All criminals would suddenly find God.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 May '23 07:18
    @the-gravedigger said
    All criminals would suddenly find God.
    Apart from dyslexic criminals, who find dog.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 May '23 07:251 edit
    @torunn said
    I think most people would agree with your position, but the premise is an interesting one.

As an aside, they say a dog's year is equivalent to 7 human years, so on that basis we would need to forgive our dogs on a yearly basis, even if they destroy our slippers.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 May '23 09:211 edit
    @torunn said
    But the consequences of your previous actions would still be there. You killed somebody and that person is gone. You live as a new being with your new cells but what you did is still a fact. I say no to this.
    But if you are a “completely different person” as stated in the OP, then the consequences would not be yours to bear.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 May '23 11:43
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Although not entirely true, let's assume you are a completely new person every 7 years (where all your cells have been replaced and regenerated). Would one therefore be able to claim that anything bad we did 7 years ago was not done by us?

Asking for a friend.
    I remember watching a documentary about following the lives of people at 7 year intervals. Was it “7 Up”?

NO NOT the soft drink.😡
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 May '23 15:34
    @yo-its-me said
    Do you feel you are representative of all Canadians VR?
    Only the good ones yo. 🙂

-VR
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '23 16:03
    @torunn said
    I think cells are relevant only to a body and its continuing functioning and existence.

Meanwhile, a "person" is a literally unique thought- and behaviour-forming narrative that can be accessed exclusively [and added to] as long as the body that enables that "person" to exist doesn't perish.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 May '23 20:35
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Why not start a thread on this different scenario.
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 May '23 20:44
    @divegeester said
    But if you are a “completely different person” as stated in the OP, then the consequences would not be yours to bear.
    It's too hypothetical for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree