1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 12:34
    Yes - we like to shorten our words too. Just lazy, I guess. Barbie, prezzie, lots of words get the "ie" treatment, and I'm sure you all know tinnie. 🙂
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 19:40
    I am interested in so-called bogan culture. Is it much different from the average Australian scene?

I am also interested in Holden cars. Is it true that Australians abandon these vehicles in the bush as sacrifices to the ancestors?
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Nov '12 23:40
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I am interested in so-called bogan culture. Is it much different from the average Australian scene?

I am also interested in Holden cars. Is it true that Australians abandon these vehicles in the bush as sacrifices to the ancestors?
    What we call bogan culture is still quite common in low-priced outer suburbs, but inner-urban Melbourne has none of it. Out here in the wilds people are much more individual, probably because there aren't big urban shrines like cinema complexes. concert halls and shopping malls. Immigrants tend to settle in the cities in particular areas, so there are quite different environments and cultures even within a city. There simply isn't an "average Australian scene".

Holden cars, produced by GM entirely in Australia since WW2, were our biggest seller for decades, because every bush mechanic could work on them, spare parts were available even at Woop Woop (our term for any place remote from civilisation), and you could take them almost anywhere you could take a 4WD. Since they were petrol guzzlers, most of them ended up eventually in the hands of poor country people who could afford the few hundred dollars they were worth by then. Some of them do millions of miles, developing more and more rust and oil leaks, but when they break down for the last time it's not worth the cost of a towtruck so they're just left there. Same goes for wrecked caravans, and trailers from big truck rigs, which you see occasionally in fields along outback roads. It's just litter, no ancestor sacrifices involved.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:37

Bogans are the real Aussies if you ask them. and in a way they are.
    Mullet hair do's
    Cars
    Pictures of semi-naked girls but no actual girlfriends.
    Thinks Bathurst (car race) is the best thing on all year.
    Crosses over with the AC/DC crowd
    Talk funny
    Always know a biker if things get heated
    Dont comment on mullets, keep to cars, women and sport (in that order, and you'll be right with bogans,mate)
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:38
    onya
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:41
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Yes - we like to shorten our words too. Just lazy, I guess. Barbie, prezzie, lots of words get the "ie" treatment, and I'm sure you all know tinnie. 🙂
    or stick 'o' at the end of people's names , Davo,Dicko,Stevo,Johno,etc.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 15:42
    What we call bogan culture is still quite common in low-priced outer suburbs, but inner-urban Melbourne has none of it. Out here in the wilds people are much more individual, probably because there aren't big urban shrines like cinema complexes. concert halls and shopping malls. Immigrants tend to settle in the cities in particular areas, so there are quite ...[text shortened]... onally in fields along outback roads. It's just litter, no ancestor sacrifices involved.
    I've sacrificed a few Fords 🙂
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 19:40
    Have you ever met a nice South African?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 19:48
    I watched a video of a fire tornado out hear Woop Woop today. Beautiful but not a little scary.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:23
    You can't get back from Woop Woop that quickly, it takes days ... 🙂
    What have you got against South Africans?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:521 edit
    Have you ever met a nice South African?
    Who me?
    Yeah I met a nice young chap who I worked with fruit picking.
    We used to drive to work in a car 'ute' with no windscreen.

Before that I must admit to being a prejudiced towards the South Africans - mind you I could've easily had been one if my parents decided to go there.

When it comes to sport - especially cricket,Sth Africa is definately my most hated team - even more so than England.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:55
    You can't get back from Woop Woop that quickly, it takes days ... 🙂
    What have you got against South Africans?
    Bosse is Sth African, aint he?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 20:57
    Bonza
    Little Ripper
    Big ashtray
    Shiela (for a female)

And of course if you want to fit right in straight away just say "G'day mate". Works in the whole country.
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Nov '12 21:34
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Bonza
    Little Ripper
    Big ashtray
    Shiela (for a female)

And of course if you want to fit right in straight away just say "G'day mate". Works in the whole country.
    Hate to say this, but I was born in Australia, lived in two states (one was Queensland), city and country, and am 68 years old, and I've never heard either "big ashtray" or "sheila". Care to translate "big ashtray" for me?

On South Africans: I've met two, one was nice, the other was a pig, so not enough information to hang a stereotype on you. Start a South African thread and I'll come and read. 🙂
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Nov '12 02:56
    Hate to say this, but I was born in Australia, lived in two states (one was Queensland), city and country, and am 68 years old, and I've never heard either "big ashtray" or "sheila". Care to translate "big ashtray" for me?

On South Africans: I've met two, one was nice, the other was a pig, so not enough information to hang a stereotype on you. Start a South African thread and I'll come and read. 🙂
    I'm not starting a Sth African thread - no way... out of my depth.

You've never heard of a woman referred to as a "sheila"? (not sure of spelling), I dont think they write that word much. It just an uncouth way of saying "woman", but nothing untoward or derogatory. Much like 'wench' was used to describe young women in olden days,(In English parts of the world). It is only now derogatory.
    The big ashtray was introduced to me at a party in a big warehouse, which was the residence of some 5 or 6 people. There was a stage with plenty of music. Joints were rolled and all the couches that could be mustered were brought over.
    It was easy to forget you were in someones place. I was looking for an ashtray when some one said why not use the big ashtray? (They just meant ash on the ground 🙂 )

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree