1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    alas no, the sound of my Mexican Cerveza absorbing co2 (far too slowly for my liking) and the rustling of Friday pocket money as I hand out tenners!
    I remember only getting a pound pocket money and it lasting me all week.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I remember only getting a pound pocket money and it lasting me all week.
    a pound, wow, I remember Chelsea whoppers were a penny! a tenner hardly buys the kids a pizza these days.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 18:16
    a pound, wow, I remember Chelsea whoppers were a penny! a tenner hardly buys the kids a pizza these days.
    I remember the days when a shiny penny could buy a chap a new pair of pantaloons and still allow enough change for a toblerone and a short back and sides.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 19:53
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I remember the days when a shiny penny could buy a chap a new pair of pantaloons and still allow enough change for a toblerone and a short back and sides.
    Lol pantaloons, the kind that FMF talks, with extra frills, awesome. I remember handing over a sixpence for a game of table tennis. You could get on the trampolines and the putting for same.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 10:20
    But we need you man. It was your suggestions to reform the system that provided a glimmer of hope! It was like a small candle, flickering in a great darkness, the darkness tried to overcome the little candle, but it could not!
    Listen, robbie, I made a mistake, ok. When I was a youth, I played on a team in a league and had a lot of fun and cut my teeth on basic chess strategy. When I first looked at the clan system at RHP I thought it would be something like that. I was wrong. It's nothing like that. I misread the fine print: that's why they're called clans and not teams. So I'm going to butt out and let the clansmen do whatever they want to do however they want to do it. They'll be happier without me anyway. It's not sour grapes; it's just not my cup of tea, that's all. I'll join an OTB team in my local town and get my kicks that way.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 10:461 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Listen, robbie, I made a mistake, ok. When I was a youth, I played on a team in a league and had a lot of fun and cut my teeth on basic chess strategy. When I first looked at the clan system at RHP I thought it would be something like that. I was wrong. It's nothing like that. I misread the fine print: that's why they're called clans and not [i]teams. ...[text shortened]... not my cup of tea, that's all. I'll join an OTB team in my local town and get my kicks that way.
    Your suggestions were the only rational and reasonable way forward. I am not sure I understand the difference between a team and a clan. I am not asking you to play in clans or anything simply to make a strong case for the suggestions that you made to completely reform and overhaul the system. An ELO based system would be much much better.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 10:59
    ... I am not sure I understand the difference between a team and a clan. ...
    In a team-based league, there is a regular schedule of matches, which are overseen by the equivalent of a tournament director who adjudicates unclear situations (such as whether the same position has been arrived at three times, insufficient material to mate, illegal moves, kibitzing, etc.) and ensures a level playing field among the teams. The clan system is very much less organised than that, and I doubt whether anyone wants it to become that heavily organised.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 11:04
    Originally posted by moonbus
    In a team-based league, there is a regular schedule of matches, which are overseen by the equivalent of a tournament director who adjudicates unclear situations (such as whether the same position has been arrived at three times, insufficient material to mate, illegal moves, kibitzing, etc.) and ensures a level playing field among the teams. The clan system i ...[text shortened]... less organised than that, and I doubt whether anyone wants it to become that heavily organised.
    I have been trying for ages to find your post where you put forward your proposals, have you any inkling in what thread it was posted?
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 21:40
    This belen guy just picked up an open invite of mine while having the vacation flag on.
    Having read some of this topic i explained him that i hate sandbaggers and, after his second move, deleted the game.
    Thanks guys, you avoided me a game hanging forever.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 21:46
    Originally posted by Ravello
    This belen guy just picked up an open invite of mine while having the vacation flag on.
    Having read some of this topic i explained him that i hate sandbaggers and, after his second move, deleted the game.
    Thanks guys, you avoided me a game hanging forever.
    Well played! I hope he reads your profile.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 21:52
    Maybe he should rename himself belend rather than belen.
  12. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 21:52
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Well played! I hope he reads your profile.
    Hehe, i guess he hasn't 🙂 i already have a pair who avoid moving more than once in a day (just before timebank depletes), despite having played fairly fast when the game was equal.......i regret not playing 1 day timeouts with no timebank anymore.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree