1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 01:214 edits
    "Basic guide to a good/bad thread

Enigmatic Entity:
    We've all seen good and bad threads; and while that may be somewhat subjective, here's the general consensus on things that make for a good thread.

Informative: People like to learn things. I find facts and current news interesting, even fascinating. I'm sure many others do too.

Entertaining: Whether it be through humour or otherwise like competitions/contests, challenges or games (bonus points for prizes), we love to have fun.

Easy to read and understand: People shouldn't have to strain to understand what you're trying to say, make it easy for them. It means that more people will bother to read what you've worked hard (or not so much) to create. Try to structure it well and if it needs one, give an intro.

Interaction with whoever comments & involvement of other members: Check the comments every so often, reply to the messages to keep in touch with other users. Also, try to keep an open mind about things even if others don't agree with what you're saying. There's not much of a point in making the thread on a public forum if you're not interested by what people have to say in response. Appreciate humour and other people's creations and ideas (even that guy you don't like).

Purposeful: It's nice for a thread to have a purpose, rather than just making a post for the sake of it. Pretty basic.

Helpful Tutorials, helpful tips and going out of your way to help fellow forumgoers deserve some kudos.

Original: There's nothing better than your own creation. Show yourself and don't be afraid to share your ideas with the rest of us. Try not to blatantly rip off others for your own glory or recognition.

Thought provoking/Engaging: Food for thought, our minds get bored and we need to exercise them.

Posted in the correct section Know who your target audience is and in which part of the forums the post should be in.

Unbiased: Self-explanatory. Nobody likes a stubborn fool and it's nice to keep your mind open to other interpretations.

Discriminating: This is just disrespectful and usually unwarranted.

Making the post all about yourself unless it's about an experience you'd like to share: (Otherwise known as 'attention whoring' )

Flamebait/Bait in general: (exceptions can be made for the very clever/funny)

Spamming: (Obviously, this is just childish and annoying)

One word titles/Misleading titles/Clickbait: No quality.

"Discuss": A body consisting of just 'discuss' isn't very engaging, and is generally unappealing to a reader.

Beating a dead thread: Once your thread has had its time, let it go. If there is no interest in it, it just wasn't meant to be. Please do not bump a million times to artificially increase its life or post count. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Quality always trumps quantity. Having more of the 'good' in threads and less of the 'bad' makes our home a more enjoyable place. Most of you are very capable of making good threads. This is only a quick rushed thread, please feel free to add more in the comments and I'll try to edit them into the OP with credit. This is the first draft and I know it's not refined. I am in no way claiming to be a good poster, these are just some thoughts. Enjoy."

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/157743663/0/0/1

Request: Please review these statements; then comment on the do's and don'ts in terms of relevance to RHP's Public Forums in 2015-16. Thanks,
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 01:49
    I would generally class threads featuring large amounts of material copy pasted from other web sites as being "bad".
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 02:20
    DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 02:58
    Originally posted by Seitse
    DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.
    Ditto.
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 03:11
    First of all, the FORUM RULES should be FOLLOWED

What's inside:
    HOW TO MAKE A THREAD
    HOW TO MAKE A GOOD POST
    HOW TO ASK A GOOD QUESTION
    HOW TO MAKE A GOOD POLL

HOW TO MAKE A THREAD

THINK OF A GOOD TOPIC
    The best web forum threads are the ones that resonate with forum members. Shoot for something that hasn't been said before.
    This will draw their attention, and bring them into your forum thread. The search function is your friend, to double check that your
    idea, question, opinion, etc has not already been posted recently.

If you have a unique thread with unique content, you will get a much better response. Also remember that an illiterate thread,
    such as "C4n u guyz halp mmeh, i got br!cKd.", will simply scare people off, or cause them to flame.

ADD A CATCHY/ATTRACTIVE TITLE
    Your forum thread's title is your one shot at getting forum members interested in your topic. Being able to create an
    interesting title is a basic marketing strategy. Titles that work well are often humorous, extremely clever, or just flat out blunt.
    Titles should also explain the content of the thread. Creating titles such as "Problem!" or "Sigh..."
    do not let members know what the problem is, or what you are sighing about. Make sure your post explains it.
    also, you can check Better Titles and Thread Tags! for further details 😛

INCORPORATE A POLL (if necessary)
    Everyone has an opinion, and everyone also loves letting their voice be heard. By adding a poll to a thread,
    you will encourage people to express their opinion. This often leads to debate, which is always good for the lifespan
    of a forum thread, as long as it stays friendly.

Make sure your poll consists of plenty of options. Sometimes a Yes and No aren't enough.
    Adding an "Unsure/Undecided" option will help keep a poll 'clean', as it gives members a third choice.
    Often when unsure, they will simply pick one, but when given the option of "Unsure",
    they will be able to chose what they really feel.

PARTICIPATE IN YOUR THREAD
    People often create threads and forget about them. If you are active within your forum thread,
    that will help keep it on the first page. This might inspire people to contribute to the thread if
    they see the creator still involved with it. This does not in any way mean you should bump or
    spam your thread, as that will simply scare or annoy some people away. Make sure your posts
    further the constructive discussion, so as to continue on topic.

PICTURES/CODES
    Everyone loves pictures. If the cake is a lie, then this fact is the opposite of cake. Are you posting
    a support thread, regarding a bug? Post a picture/codes showing the bug! Add a picture that would
    simplify/help us understand your problem or thread. Pictures attract people, as long as it keeps on topic.

MAKE READERS INTERESTED
    One way to make readers want to continue reading your post is humor. Humor can go a long way, as long
    as it makes sense and stays on topic. Pictures also keep interest, as well as a well-organized unique thread.

ORGANIZATION
    An organized thread is a good thread. Using quotations, lists, and many paragraphs can make a large
    wall of text seem much less intimidating. No one, I'm sure you will agree, wants to read a giant wall of text
    with only two paragraphs and three periods. Commas, periods, lists, quotes, paragraphs,
    and using clear English will make any thread a winner.

DOUBLE CHECK
    Does this thread need to be created? Does it have a point? Have I mentioned everything I need to?
    Has a similar thread already been created recently?

ADD TAGS
    At the end of a thread, you can see "EDIT TAGS". Add tags to make your thread searchable!
    also, you can check Better Titles and Thread Tags! for further details 😛

...Last Step
    So, now you're ready to hit that button at the bottom, and post your magnificent beauty, correct? Wrong.
    Hit that preview button next to it! Do you have everything mentioned that you wanted to mention?
    Is their anything else to add, or unneeded sentences to remove? Is there any typos to be fixed?
    Is the thread readable, with paragraphs, periods, commas, and so on? Does the thread look good,
    clean and organized? Would >you< want to read this thread, if you were in the shoes of another member?

Now, once you have done all that, it is time to post that wonderful thread of yours for others to see.
    Congratulations, you just made a good thread!
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 04:112 edits
    Originally posted by rookie54
    First of all, the FORUM RULES should be FOLLOWED

What's inside:
    HOW TO MAKE A THREAD
    HOW TO MAKE A GOOD POST
    HOW TO ASK A GOOD QUESTION
    HOW TO MAKE A GOOD POLL

HOW TO MAKE A THREAD

THINK OF A GOOD TOPIC
    The best web forum threads are the ones that resonate with forum members. Shoot for something that hasn't been said b ...[text shortened]... ost that wonderful thread of yours for others to see.
    Congratulations, you just made a good thread!
    "[HOW TO] make a substantial THREAD, POST, QUESTION and POLL

2,904 posts Thanks: 1,599 By saywhatt, Recognized Contributor on 6th September 2012, 02:17 PM

HOW TO ASK A GOOD QUESTION.....

Now, once you have done all that, it is time to post that wonderful thread of yours for others to see.
    Congratulations, you just made a good thread!"

Last edited by saywhatt; 10th September 2012 at 01:28 PM."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1873094...

Note: When Copy & Pasting an author's intellectual property, in this instance from another website, please provide the website link. Thank you.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 04:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    When Copy & Pasting an author's intellectual property, in this instance from another website, please provide the website link. Thank you.
    Good threads rarely start with the copy pasting of another author's intellectual property from another web site and it would be better to post something original and provide a link to another web site if you think it necessary.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 23:55
    "[HOW TO] make a substantial THREAD, POST, QUESTION and POLL

2,904 posts Thanks: 1,599 By saywhatt, Recognized Contributor on 6th September 2012, 02:17 PM

HOW TO ASK A GOOD QUESTION.....

Congratulations, you just made a good thread!"
    ...[text shortened]... lectual property, in this instance from another website, please provide the website link. Thank you.
    @rookie54, second request: "please provide the website link. Thank you."
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 23:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Good threads rarely start with the copy pasting of another author's intellectual property from another web site and it would be better to post something original and provide a link to another web site if you think it necessary.
    You're entitled to an opinion as is every other mother's son and daughter contributing to this online public forum
    as long as it complies consistently with site forum guideless and terms of service.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 00:04
    You're entitled to an opinion as is every other mother's son and daughter contributing to this online public forum
    as long as it complies consistently with site forum guideless and terms of service.
    Telling me I am entitled to post on this forum is not an insight into - nor an engagement of - the point I put to you. Don't you agree that extensive copy pastes of material others have written - when a link to their web site would suffice - is just a form of spamming? Saying "You're entitled to an opinion" is evasion, not discussion.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Telling me I am entitled to post on this forum is not an insight into - nor an engagement of - the point I put to you. Don't you agree that extensive copy pastes of material others have written - when a link to their web site would suffice - is just a form of spamming? Saying "You're entitled to an opinion" is evasion, not discussion.
    Perhaps the culture and mores are a tad different in "Windbagsville" and its environs
    than on Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums since February 21, 2001.

"[Reply].......... [Reply & Quote].......... [Edit]"
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '15 00:35
    Perhaps the culture and mores are a tad different in "Windbagsville" and its environs
    than on Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums since February 21, 2001..
    It's as if you have no sincere interest in discussing the thread topic ~ and prefer copy pasting things here that other people have written on other web sites.

Do you think your threads - when they involve copious copy pasting - constitute "good" threads or "bad" threads? What is your defence against the suggestion that all you are doing is spamming?

I think you insinuating that you represent "the culture and mores" of the "Red Hot Pawn's Public Forums since February 21, 2001" as opposed to - or more so than - others, is a bit rich - to put it mildly.
  13. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    16 Oct '15 00:54
    the good thread is the one who brings one to the forum and thus to the site and thus money to russ.

learn to see the real world,.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '15 01:36
    Originally posted by mister moggy
    the good thread is the one who brings one to the forum and thus to the site and thus money to russ.

learn to see the real world,.
    Do you really think 'so that the web site owner makes more money' is one of the motivations for people starting threads or posting on them in this community? If not, do you think it should be?
  15. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    16 Oct '15 01:501 edit
    the good thread or post is one which returns discussion. it is the post which brings about the most people possible to want to read what is posted. it is the post which creates the desire to return to the forum, hence the site, thus the reason to be at the site, thus the opportunity to spend money on the site.

carpe diem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree