... being liked

... being liked

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
19 Feb 13

How did that show up in bold typeface???

Z

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
It was agreed by Grampy Bobby and the Traits of Man Committee.

They had a vote and it was an overwhelming show of one hand.

The rest of us mortals didn't have a vote because
we are not permanent members of the Council.

We only have observer status. 🙂
Makes me wonder where Bobby views himself on this "respectrum", as a threatener or threatenee?

Read a book!

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by Zamboner
Makes me wonder where Bobby views himself on this "respectrum", as a threatener or threatenee?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Feb 13
1 edit

Forbes/Maloney

1. Politics are everywhere.
" Whether we want the people on our team to collaborate more effectively or to persuade the CFO to expand our budget, we must influence and persuade others to get what we want. Even situations that don’t appear to include traditional politicking do involve relationships and how we maneuver them. Maloney’s anecdote: She is a body-builder who shows up at the gym every day before 5am. At first she bluntly asked the staffers to let her in early, and got no response. Then she started making personal inquiries about the staffers’ lives. Four out of five of them responded and welcomed her inside.

2. Great leaders aren’t liked very much.
Making changes in an organization can make people mad. So do performance evaluations and decisions made without a consensus. Great leaders “sacrifice being liked in order to focus on achieving concrete goals,” Maloney writes. When she was just 28, she was promoted into an executive position at a nonprofit. Before her promotion, she had lunch every day with colleagues, but found they didn’t want her company once she became the boss. There are plenty of leaders who are adored by their subordinates. From everything I’ve read, most of Obama’s staff likes him, and I think the same was true for both Bush presidents. Still, Maloney believes that leaders should be prepared to lose friends as they move forward.

3. Nobody will find you as interesting as you do.
Great leaders keep their stories short. They express curiosity about the people around them. They are genuinely interested in what other people do and think. They listen and they learn. Maloney illustrates this lesson with a story about going to a baseball game with one of her husband’s colleagues who asked her numerous questions about her life and her interests. She found herself liking him a great deal. Leaders get people to follow them by editing themselves and expressing interest in others.

4. Every single person, even the greatest leader out there, is afraid.
All leaders are afraid of failing, of screwing up, of looking stupid, writes Maloney. So are we all, she says. But what sets great leaders apart is that they act anyway, despite their fear. Anecdote: an accomplished foundation executive who worked with Maloney admitted to her that he was afraid of misspending the foundation’s money, of letting something of vital importance slip through the cracks. But he moved forward anyway, awarding grants, taking actions. He was an effective leader, despite his fear.

5. Someone is always watching.
Great leaders know that they have to contain their emotions and not act out, even if they have just received terrible news or had a fight with their spouse. They are always being watched by someone, which is why it’s important to have a small group of trusted friends and family, to whom you can vent. Maloney tells about meeting in the lobby of an office building with a colleague on a project. The colleague suddenly lost his temper and heads started to turn. Maloney kept her composure and later, a woman who had been in the lobby reached out to her and said she admired how Maloney kept her cool. The two have become trusted colleagues.

6. Great leaders diligently protect their energy.
Which tasks in your daily schedule give you energy, and which leave you drained or beaten down? “Great leaders know what gives them energy and they increase it,” Maloney writes. They free themselves of obligations that sap their drive. Example: When she lived in Denver, Maloney sat on the board of her homeowners’ association. She dreaded the 7 am monthly meetings and the squabbling over the shade of green to paint the new fence. Then she realized no one was forcing her to stay on the board. She quit and her energy got a boost.

7. Great leaders possess supreme, undying confidence.
I tripped up on this lesson because it seemed to contradict the notion that everyone is afraid (lesson #4). On the other hand, it’s possible to be frightened while also knowing you are good at your job. Maloney says great leaders “know how to stand up for themselves,” and don’t take it personally if someone levels an attack. Her anecdote: Long ago, when she worked at a family restaurant, the charming boss often infuriated employees by switching their schedules so that some workers had to come in late and start early the next morning. His employees complained, but the boss stuck to his guns and was soon promoted to an executive position in the restaurant chain.

8. Great leaders never, ever talk trash
This lesson dovetails with lessons #3 and #5. Most people would rather talk about themselves than hear about you, and if you gossip about others or your company, they will remember. It’s always better to keep your criticisms to yourself. Example: Maloney ran into an acquaintance at a networking lunch and noticed on the woman’s name badge that she had a new job. Maloney congratulated her and the woman immediately started bad-mouthing her former employer and even added that her new bosses had recently cleaned out some poor performers in upper management. For Maloney, this was a red flag. She would never trust the woman to keep a confidence.

9. Great leaders know what they want and go after it relentlessly.
Top leaders take risks because they know what they want. They fill out a report once and then realize it’s more effective to do it a different way, so they change the report. They also tell others explicitly what they want and how to achieve goals. Maloney describes her stint in broadcast news and how she was promoted onto the assignment desk, which she hated. So she went to her boss, the station manager, and proposed she work on the desk four days and spend the fifth shadowing a producer. The boss said yes, soon the producer quit, and Maloney had a new job.

10. Great leaders insist on excellent, pristine communication
Emails should be short, friendly, and get directly to the point. Verbal communication should be focused, not rambling. Great leaders also proofread, and make sure every document is attached before hitting “send.” Maloney evokes her father, who she says was a great communicator. He wrote logical, succinct emails, and when he communicated verbally, he always smiled. He worked in sales and he used brief, clearly written reports to make his pitch."

('Maloney concludes the book with a “bonus lesson:” Great leaders have a life. They realize their jobs aren’t the center of the world. In other words, they keep perspective on what they do.'😉

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/10/04/10-tough-truths-about-leadership/

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
should be short, friendly, and get directly to the point.
oooops...

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
19 Feb 13

Originally posted by rookie54
oooops...
Yes it looks like he's writing another United Nations Charter
complete with Resolutions and Sanctions.

Very soon now there will be a press conference from
the Head of NATO to discuss how the words will be
translated into actions.

Far from getting out of Afghanistan, the west, and in particular America,
shall LIBERATE Afghanistan and the rest of the Middle East.

Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait and Dubai shall become the new playground
for Pro Golf. Benghazi in East Libya to become the new Summer Residence
of the new Pope...Susan Rice.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Feb 13

8. Great leaders never, ever talk trash

"This lesson dovetails with lessons #3 and #5. Most people would rather talk about
themselves than hear about you, and if you gossip about others or your company,
they will remember. It’s always better to keep your criticisms to yourself."

(This Girl hits home)

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
19 Feb 13

[b]8. Great leaders never, ever talk trash

"This lesson dovetails with lessons #3 and #5. Most people would rather talk about
themselves than hear about you, and if you gossip about others or your company,
they will remember. It’s always better to keep your criticisms to yourself."

(This Girl hits home)
.[/b]
Great leaders never talk trash!
They never tell lies or stash the cash!
They want to be seen to be as you or me.
No Swiss bank account or art from Italy.

They don't bully women or use dirty tricks.
No odd sexual habits or need for a fix.
No links to big business and enterprise,
shares in Glock? What a surprise.

Guess I'll just have to step aside,
my career carries on don't break my stride.
Behind the scenes I'll pull some strings.
Invest in diamonds, gold and other things.

I retired early, spend time with family.
Where else would a man rather be?
Well guess what you've all been conned.
I'm in a motel with a dubious blonde.

The forces of law they can't touch me.
Won't go to court, won't cop no plea.
Not for me no prison suit,
Take your best shot, go on, shoot!

While you're struggling hard with job and house,
I'll still be acting like a dirty louse.
On some golf course far away,
even richer now than yesterday.

So just you remember when you vote for me.
What you see is what you get, no ride is for free.
Watch your future turn to ash.
Great leaders never talk trash.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Zamboner

clever, i mean, cute, almost too cute...
but not quite

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
... and the ?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Feb 13
2 edits

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody

Great leaders never talk trash!
They never tell lies or stash the cash!
They want to be seen to be as you or me.
No Swiss bank account or art from Italy.

They don't bully women or use dirty tricks.
No odd sexual habits or need for a fix.
No links to big business and enterprise,
shares in Glock? What a surprise.

Guess I'll just have to ste et, no ride is for free.
Watch your future turn to ash.
Great leaders never talk trash.
as you and rookie already know, poetry's made down in the 'foul rag and bone shop of the heart' as william butler yeats observed. why? for it's own sake, to 'lodge in the minds of future generations and, hopefully, to please', as robert frost said at boston's ford hall forum on that rainy sunday night a few months before young president john fitzgerald kennedy died. it's made less for approval, especially when it has legs and flys; so, keep those #2 pencils and pretty crayons at the ready, johnnylongwoody. never know quite when your muse and mouse and mistress may beckon or call...

Read a book!

Moves
20 Feb 13

... and the ?
The question is whether a person aloft in a hot-air balloon can feel the wind.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
20 Feb 13

themselves than hear about you.......

(This Girl hits home)
I believe you can redefine that statement to, "Most Americans would rather........ about you."

The reserved Europeans and Asians prefer to involve all, and not self - if that means anything to you, Bobby?

-m.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by mikelom
I believe you can redefine that statement to, "Most Americans would rather........ about you."

The reserved Europeans and Asians prefer to involve all, and not self - if that means anything to you, Bobby?

-m.
Mr. Shrink, hello and welcome to this wonderful debate.

It is my belief that there are very few if any great leaders
in the world today. Most political leaders are cowards and just
follow 2 simple rules.

1. Stay within the rules of the system you have entered.

2. Do just enough to solidify your profile and position so that you are a
popular candidate for re election.

Apart from these 2 rules, nothing else matters.

Great leaders think outside the box and depart from these 2 rules.
Unfortunately we don't see that species of statesman too often.
Like the Chinese Giant Panda or the fussy little sea horse
they are rare and in decline.

The majority if not the totality of what exists at the moment
are merely self serving narcissistic egocentrics who have no
clue as to what to do to move a society forward in a just and
equal manner.

They do little and retire early on big fat pensions and perks
and live behind high walls in guarded gated communities far
removed from those they claim to represent.

I suppose some might say who could blame them?
They are only human after all and if you were in that
situation yourself it is possible that given human
frailties you would succumb to temptation too and
revel in your new found status.

Moves
20 Feb 13

Originally posted by mikelom

-m.
We don't even mind your substitution of "American" into every critical comment you can find, as long as you are talking about us. 🙂