1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes I saw that too. It probably heralds the end of the movies for a while which is a shame as I much prefer them to the various series. I think the movie's success (especially the last two) is down to the re-characterisations of the original cast and the fast paced plot. This is something the TV producers could find difficult to compete with.
    I thought the "alternate-timeline" Trek story was horrible. The characters and actors are great, but the story blows dead bears. Blowing up Vulcan was ridiculous and I'm not ready to forgive them for that.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:371 edit
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    Who watched it for the storyline ! T'pol got hotter and hotter every episode. Couldn't even tell you what happened in the show.
    I loved Kira Nerys on DS:9. More than Dax, more than 7 o' 9.

I must have a thing for Bajorans.

Never saw much of Enterprise.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Wut?

Haven't heard this yet. Time to go looking.
    2017 apparently. Time for a final third movie, I hope.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:45
    Originally posted by Startreader
    It's of general interest. I hadn't thought of the Culture forum. I'll look in there later. Thanks! 🙂
    Your thread is fine here, I reckon.

Didn't watch much of DS9; it didn't grab me. I thought the prequel "Enterprise" was pretty good. Once I realized that "Voyager" had a cartoon quality that harked back to TOS, I quite liked it. My kids prefer it to TNG. I grew up on TOS but I think TNG is the flagship.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:483 edits
    I thought the "alternate-timeline" Trek story was horrible. The characters and actors are great, but the story blows dead bears. Blowing up Vulcan was ridiculous and I'm not ready to forgive them for that.
    The idea of "red matter" was awesome I thought and the planet imploding was terrific CGI and plot. But yes, that it was Vulcan showed a lack of empathy with the wider expectations of fans and a clumsiness with the timeline. But what really got me was when Kirk was dumped on that ice world and got chased by that creature over a cliff and miraculously found himself in a cave with an older Spock who just happened to be in that cave at that time. I forgave this though in the light that the movie was a superb spectacle and for the opening scene with child Kirk stealing his step father's sports car and ripping the soft roof off at speed. Classic Kirk moment.

PS not sure I like the sound of "blowing dead bears" 😕
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:54
    The idea on "red matter" was awesome I thought and the planet imploding was terrific CGI and plot. But yes, that it was Vulcan showed a lack of empathy with the wider expectations of fans and a clumsiness with the timeline. But what really got me was when Kirk was dumped on that ice world and got chased by that creature over a cliff and miraculously foun ...[text shortened]... f off at speed. Classic Kirk moment.

PS not sure I like the sound of "blowing dead bears" 😕
    It was really the only cogent comparison with how badly I hated them blowing up Vulcan. I almost walked out of the theater when I saw that. I have been so pissed at J.J. Abrams ever since, so much so that I was aghast when I heard he was doing SW:VII.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 10:591 edit
    CBS is going to make a new series of Star Trek!
    will they have sixties styling? I'll watch it if they do. I love sixties style. Best thread in the general forum and deservedly belongs here to provide edification to the forlorn members.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:043 edits
    It was really the only cogent comparison with how badly I hated them blowing up Vulcan. I almost walked out of the theater when I saw that. I have been so pissed at J.J. Abrams ever since, so much so that I was aghast when I heard he was doing SW:VII.
    SW:Vll will be fine as long as he can get Harrison Ford not to act as though he's on Prozac! I know he's getting on a bit but jeez, have some effort dude.

We all know that Lucas made a complete tool-bag of the last three movies [a testament to self funding and surrounding yourself with "yes-men"] so the franchise seriously needs a shake up. I hope he does mess with timelines as it need Vader back desperately, but not as that useless sack of petulance and no talent Christian whatshisname.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    will they have sixties styling? I'll watch it if they do. I love sixties style. Best thread in the general forum and deservedly belongs here to provide edification to the forlorn members.
    You want sixties? I'm sure there are plenty of episodes of Gunsmoke, The Rifleman and Dragnet to keep you busy. The sixties need to be buried out-of-sight in the litter box.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:13
    You want sixties? I'm sure there are plenty of episodes of Gunsmoke, The Rifleman and Dragnet to keep you busy. The sixties need to be buried out-of-sight in the litter box.
    I'm a huge fan of the original series, warts and all.

What have you got against the sixties?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:15
    SW:Vll will be fine as long as he can get Harrison Ford not to act as though he's on Prozac! I know he's getting on a bit but jeez, have some effort dude.

We all know that Lucas made a complete tool-bag of the last three movies [a testament to self funding and surrounding yourself with "yes-men"] so the franchise seriously needs a shake up. I hope he ...[text shortened]... ack desperately, but not as that useless sack of petulance and no talent Christian whatshisname.
    Yeah, Harrison Ford is kind of a statue these days.

And the best thing about Episodes 1-3 was that we finally got to see what a swordsman the young Obi-Wan was. The fight with Darth Maul was the best lightsaber fight of all six movies.

I don't think we'll miss Vader much by the time we get through VII. Vader was so yesterday, today is Kylo Ren's turn.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:18
    2017 apparently. Time for a final third movie, I hope.
    No need for it to be final!!!

Star Trek for ever, I say! 🙂
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:19
    I'm a huge fan of the original series, warts and all.

What have you got against the sixties?
    Well, let's see, it was 50 years ago, for starters.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:20

We all know that Lucas made a complete tool-bag of the last three movies [a testament to self funding and surrounding yourself with "yes-men"] so the franchise seriously needs a shake up. I hope he ...[text shortened]... ack desperately, but not as that useless sack of petulance and no talent Christian whatshisname.
    "We all know"?

Speak for yourself! 🙂
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Nov '15 11:541 edit
    "We all know"?

Speak for yourself! 🙂
    I've never met anyone who thought the other three were up to much. The terrible CGI, horrible characters like Binks, poor casting etc. McDermind was great as the emperor of course and the final scenes in part 3 were ok. Apart from the shot with Imperial battle cruisers lifting off from Earth, which was science joke I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree