1. RSA
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 07:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It's interesting that England and Wales had the courage to democratically push through when the Scottish, despite all the tartan waving, Banockburn chanting, and jingoism...didn't.
    It's important to note that the ravings of the SNP do not represent all Scottish people. We simply get that impression as they overstep their mandate for both brexit and another independence referendum.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 08:56

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 08:56

4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 08:57

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 09:33

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 09:384 edits
    Actually the SNP enjoy almost universal support its only on the issue of independence that some are hesitant. Its important to understand the shift from universal support for labour. Essentially in all the years of Labour government they did practically nothing for the people of Scotland itself, the people came to realise this and support shifted to the SNP. All are united in their distrust of Toryism though. Its kinda like reading the Guardian newspaper, its almost entirely about England with the occasional small column about Scotland. If Nicola puts forth an economic case for independence the people would go for it but to term the ideas as 'ravings', is disrespectful and inaccurate and to call it overstepping a mandate borders on lunacy.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 13:38
    Most "young" people didn't bother to vote and yet howled endlessly when the result came in. I've interested in why you think that is.
    Question dodging noted.

Even though I didn't ask you, I'll pretend that I care about your opinion.

So, Here it goes again: why do you think statistics show that having little school and being older suggest an inclination towards the Leave camp?
  8. RSA
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 14:474 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually the SNP enjoy almost universal support its only on the issue of independence that some are hesitant. Its important to understand the shift from universal support for labour. Essentially in all the years of Labour government they did practically nothing for the people of Scotland itself, the people came to realise this and support shifted t ...[text shortened]... vings', is disrespectful and inaccurate and to call it overstepping a mandate borders on lunacy.
    She is lying about Scotland's place in the EU repeatedly because there is no chance of it being allowed. She wants to call a referendum before brexit actually happens because it is becoming more and more evident that Britain will gain the deal it wants from brexit, and then she will have egg on her face.

We could get everything we want from the EU with the right strategy, and Nicola Sturgeon knows this perfectly well. That is why she is trying to make brexit a failure: because her primary goal is to make her own country, the UK, fail, so that she has a mandate for independence. It is a blatant desire to screw everyone else in the UK knowing full well that with the SNP's support the brexit negotiations would be easier and more likely to succeed that makes her hated.

I do not retract my statement about her raving as long as she tries to create a case for independence at the expense of the whole UK reaching a good brexit deal without already having one.

Consistently arguing about independence when it is supported by less than a majority especially after already holding one vote is the definition of overstepping a mandate.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 14:55

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 14:564 edits
    No chance of it being allowed by whom? the Europeans or the British? wouldn't independence solve that? her goal is to make the UK fail? really? To screw everyone over? Are you sure you are in your senses? hated by whom? certainly not the Scots. What I don't understand is why the SNP don't cut a deal with Labour to form a coalition and oust the Torys, they have far more in common with each other than they realise.

Nicola is a lawyer and as she has consistently pointed out the terms of Scotland remaining in the UK have materially changed and she therefore has every right to call another referendum especially if she deems it in Scottish interests to remain in Europe.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 14:58
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    There are distinct parallels between the Remainers view of Brexit and religious prophesy about the end of days etc.

So absolute was their faith in the coming of immediate economic crisis that, for some, rather than simply admit they were wrong, they are now in the process of imagining these predictions were never made, reinterpreting the predictions ...[text shortened]... ews over the next 5 years will now be chorused joyfully by a gaggle of 'I told ya so' Remainers.
    I can't remember exactly how much the £ was worth on the day before they voted to leave but it dropped in value quite considerably with the vote and hasn't recovered. It's at its lowest ever against the US$ so yoir chaos will come, give it time.

Soon prices will raise, retailers will blame the weak £ and a eryone will blame brexit.

When I moved from Belfast to Dublin the £ was worth €1.40, now it's sitting at €1.17... naturally it was going to go down a bit but the main question that everyone needs to ask themselves is. Will I have more money in my pocket by leaving the E.U.? The answer last June was no and the answer today is still no with a but, the but being you'll actually have less if you plan to travel or buy imported products when the prices begin the to raise due to the weak currency.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 15:07
    The BBC calling brexiters uneducated; whatever next 🙄
    The BBC and every other news agency and website... simple statistics, the vast majority who voted to leave were old and didn't go to university. That's just fact.

Had more of the younger, 'educated' people bothered to turn up and vote remain probably would have won. That's why elections in countries where you're free not to turn up are fundamentally flawed.

Give 3 options, remain, leave and no vote and make it a crime not to to show up or make a postal vote.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 15:091 edit
    No chance of it being allowed by whom? the Europeans or the British? wouldn't independence solve that? her goal is to make the UK fail? really? To screw everyone over? Are you sure you are in your senses? hated by whom? certainly not the Scots. What I don't understand is why the SNP don't cut a deal with :abour to form a coalition and oust the Torys, they have far more in common with each other than they realise.
    Jean Claude Juncker.
    Donald Tusk.
    Spain.

It has been stated numerous times by multiple eurocrats that it is not possible not for any other reason than that the membership in the treaty is the UK. Not the individual nations. Same as a region of France cannot negotiate its own deal with the EU.

When the UK gets the deal it wants from the EU, if Scotland votes for independence, you will lose that deal the the UK struck, as well as the UK market and have to forge your own agreement with the EU, which will get shot down by Spain and other EU nations. Don't get angry at the UK government because that is simply the nature of the treaties. The EU is, after all, obsessed with rules. You will be left with nothing and the SNP will have to impose austerity unlike any ever seen on the face of the earth.

Scotland's deficit is 10 percent. If you don't think that is bad Greece's is 7 percent.

Please don't be naïve. Of course Nicola Sturgeon wants the UK to fail. If it was a success she would have no case for independence. I never said she is hated by Scots, but she is hated by others for trying to sink the UK. Can't you see why it angers others that the SNP is trying the stop the UK from getting a good deal so they can have a case for independence? She is effectively trying to screw the other 92% of the UK's chances of getting a good deal.

Labour won't form a coalition with the SNP because while they disagree with the Tories on many things they are the only ones who have made a plan for brexit and are trying their best to get a good deal while the SNP are trying to scupper the deal, which is not in the interests of the other 92 percent of labours support.

Don't you understand it would be suicide for labour to ally with a party actively campaigning for the destruction of their nation? They would lose the support of other British remainers and brexiters alike whose primary allegiance is the to the UK first, not the EU.
  14. RSA
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 15:152 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I can't remember exactly how much the £ was worth on the day before they voted to leave but it dropped in value quite considerably with the vote and hasn't recovered. It's at its lowest ever against the US$ so yoir chaos will come, give it time.

Soon prices will raise, retailers will blame the weak £ and a eryone will blame brexit.

When I moved from B ...[text shortened]... to travel or buy imported products when the prices begin the to raise due to the weak currency.
    Why is the currency weak? Because the economy is weak or because people are speculating the economy will be weak despite no evidence of that?

Research released yesterday showed that brexit will not stop the UK from overtaking Germany and becoming the largest economy in Europe by 2030.

British growth remains one of the strongest on the continent.

The pound is set for a recovery in the next few months anyway, once uncertainty is put away.

A weaker currency isn't actually bad for the economy. It is simply an unforgivable dent in national pride.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '17 15:16
    No chance of it being allowed by whom? the Europeans or the British? wouldn't independence solve that? her goal is to make the UK fail? really? To screw everyone over? Are you sure you are in your senses? hated by whom? certainly not the Scots. What I don't understand is why the SNP don't cut a deal with Labour to form a coalition and oust the Torys, ...[text shortened]... to call another referendum especially if she deems it in Scottish interests to remain in Europe.
    Can't Scotland just leave already so it opens the door for a United Ireland and England and Wales can be left alone to play big spoon, little spoon all on their own?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree