1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:23
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    That never occurred to me, but I believe you're right. He didn't have a problem with me, even though our personalities seemed to be polar opposites. He was someone I could trust. Too many people in this world ready and able to be your good buddy and "friend" in order to get something from you. He wasn't feigning friendship for a purpose.

By the ...[text shortened]... ting like a couple of cool tough guys our approval rating will go up... what do you think?
    "By the way, what's your take on those thumbs-up thumbs-down icons on the upper right hand corner of messages, where people can express their pleasure/displeasure?"

Feature does provide 'busy' people the satisfaction of posting anonymously. "Posturing and acting like a couple of cool tough guys" insures high Down Totals. Approvals go up when readers aren't agitated. Socrates and Plato would have Net -12s.
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 13:34
    Does anyone else find Grampy Bobby comparing himself to Socrates and Plato more than slightly hilarious?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 14:541 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    WTF???

Keep that kind of talk for the bedroom! 😛 😉
    That "kind of talk" has nothing to do with the bedroom, cretin.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 17:08
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Does anyone else find Grampy Bobby comparing himself to Socrates and Plato more than slightly hilarious?
    Nah, gb's modus operandi more closely reflects the minority points of view and unpopular status quo questioning style of Diogenes. Here's the site link to his interesting biography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope

Zamboner, you may also enjoy a few of Diogene's observations: "As a matter of self-preservation, a man needs good friends or ardent enemies, for the former instruct him and the latter take him to task."... "I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."... "Stand a little less between me and the sun." (Diogenes) Which these men resembles you? -Bobby

"Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/diogenes.html#UBw4vVrYmFR75mK1.99
  5. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 18:29
    After reading these posts for the past few minutes, it occurred to me that the only bullies mentioned are males. Females use a different type of bullying and it usually occurs first in the early teens. I was the victim of one such type of bully in my senior year of high school. It extended into our two years of college. Perhaps the common word would be "cattiness", but it was designed to humiliate me and cause the loss of other friendships.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 18:34
    Originally posted by ale1552
    After reading these posts for the past few minutes, it occurred to me that the only bullies mentioned are males. Females use a different type of bullying and it usually occurs first in the early teens. I was the victim of one such type of bully in my senior year of high school. It extended into our two years of college. Perhaps the common word would be "cattiness", but it was designed to humiliate me and cause the loss of other friendships.
    Do "females" employ different strategies and/or tactics than those already identified with males?
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 19:29
    Originally posted by ale1552
    That's what I meant when I said the sly ones were the scariest. And they aren't always females... 😕
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 19:56
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Nah, gb's modus operandi more closely reflects the minority points of view and unpopular status quo questioning style of Diogenes. Here's the site link to his interesting biography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope

Zamboner, you may also enjoy a few of Diogene's observations: "As a matter of self-preservation, a man needs good friends ...[text shortened]... more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/diogenes.html#UBw4vVrYmFR75mK1.99
    If he thinks you were comparing yourself to a few philosophers then I doubt he will understand your explanation.

Actually, I had to read it twice (and then a third time) before I realised what you were saying. You understood my meaning (the intent) and were able to respond as though it was a private message... invisible to some, but not invisible to everyone.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact I'm thinking of starting another thread and calling it "Hiding in plain sight"... 😀
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 20:32
    If he thinks you were comparing yourself to a few philosophers then I doubt he will understand your explanation.

Actually, I had to read it twice (and then a third time) before I realised what you were saying. You understood my meaning (the intent) and were able to respond as though it was a private message... invisible to some, but not invisible to ev ...[text shortened]... in fact I'm thinking of starting another thread and calling it "Hiding in plain sight"... 😀
    "Nothing wrong with that, in fact I'm thinking of starting another thread and calling it "Hiding in plain sight"..."

Hey, lemon lime, run with your brilliant idea to daylight! Goodness knows this faltering forum needs an infusion of new blood, even if it turns out to be yellow and green in color. Maybe your lemon lime Blood Type is O+ the Universal Donor.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 20:46
    Do "females" employ different strategies and/or tactics than those already identified with males?
    Of course, Bob, that is precisely what she was saying. Have you never seen any of these movies about "mean girls"? Hmmm, scratch that, of course you haven't. Girl bullying is a lot different from boy bullying. Boy bullying tends to stress the physical threats, while girl bullying stresses the attempt to take away other things more dear to girls, like social access, your reputation, your friends, etc. Of course, girls do fight like the boys on occasion, but it usually only happens out of frustration after the bullied girl has run out of options.

I'm not even going to spend time wondering why you place quotes around the word females but not around the word males.
  11. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 20:491 edit
    If you don't think he was, even sub-consciously, then you don't know Grampy Bobby.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Of course, Bob, that is precisely what she was saying. Have you never seen any of these movies about "mean girls"? Hmmm, scratch that, of course you haven't. Girl bullying is a lot different from boy bullying. Boy bullying tends to stress the physical threats, while girl bullying stresses the attempt to take away other things more dear to girls, like d time wondering why you place quotes around the word females but not around the word males.
    Hi, Suzi. Placed the quotes in deference to the word chosen by Ale1552 and because it's my custom to respect the notion of verbatim. Otherwise, I would have written, "women". Chose not to quote men because the post's topic introduced Bullying by females. I love reading your posts; most always they have depth and breadth, attitude and edge. Please post more...
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 20:59
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    If you don't think he was, even sub-consciously, then you don't know Grampy Bobby.
    Hey, ZB, when's the last time you introduced your own thread to this forum? Next one, soon I hope. gb
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:11
    Hi, Suzi. Placed the quotes in deference to the word chosen by Ale1552 and because it's my custom to respect the notion of verbatim. Otherwise, I would have written, "women". Chose not to quote men because the post's topic introduced Bullying by females. I love reading your posts; most always they have depth and breadth, attitude and edge. Please post more...
    I'm guessing she used the word females for the same reason I used the words girls and boys. It's because bullies in general are stunted and have not grown up at the same rate as their peers, emotionally. I'd hesitate to use the word women or the word men when discussing bullies. Bullies often have a bit more growing up to do, again, emotionally, whether male or female.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm guessing she used the word females for the same reason I used the words girls and boys. It's because bullies in general are stunted and have not grown up at the same rate as their peers, emotionally. I'd hesitate to use the word women or the word men when discussing bullies. Bullies often have a bit more growing up to do, again, emotionally, whether male or female.
    Good point. My preferences are girls and boys for youngsters; males and females within a clinical or analytical context; men and women, when names are unknown or irrelevant; ladies and gentlemen for formal occasions. Ladies I try to say or write whenever it's not cumbersome or distracting to do so in lieu of women. Bullies of either gender are to be pitied.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree