Buy my new book

Buy my new book

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 Mar 18

Originally posted by @great-big-stees
And that shocked many a parent, who had grown up in the depression years, and were, for the most part, not "liberal".
The big disappointment for me was how quickly the "hippies" sold-out to the "greed is good" movement of the 1980's.

I am demographically a "Baby-boomer" having been born in 1963...but I've always aligned myself with the philosophies of those whom suffered the Great Depression as adults (Great War Generation).

Sadly, they're all gone now...and most have been for over 20 years. I was a Paperboy in the 1970's...and loved hearing their recollections. Their stories of the Roaring 20's, Prohibition, and how it was to suffer without complaint during hardships...will always inspire me.

Gothenburg

Moves
05 Mar 18

Originally posted by @wolfe63
The big disappointment for me was how quickly the "hippies" sold-out to the "greed is good" movement of the 1980's.

I am demographically a "Baby-boomer" having been born in 1963...but I've always aligned myself with the philosophies of those whom suffered the Great Depression as adults (Great War Generation).

Sadly, they're all gone now...and most h ...[text shortened]... ohibition, and how it was to suffer without complaint during hardships...will always inspire me.
The 20's, that's a long time ago - those are times I read about in books and watch on TV.

Moves
05 Mar 18

Originally posted by @torunn
The 20's, that's a long time ago - those are times I read about in books and watch on TV.
Yes... I was speaking only from my American perspective.
I do respect that those were vastly different experiences for those in other countries. Those times were filled with unrest and turmoil...especially in Central Europe.

Gothenburg

Moves
05 Mar 18

Yes... I was speaking only from my American perspective.
I do respect that those were vastly different experiences for those in other countries. Those times were filled with unrest and turmoil...especially in Central Europe.
Those decades have affected all of us of course in different ways.

Moves
05 Mar 18

Sadly, they're all gone now...and most h ...[text shortened]... ohibition, and how it was to suffer without complaint during hardships...will always inspire me.
I am one of the "baby boomers' born shortly after VE day. My dad (100 this past Aug and still going, physically though not so much mentally, strong) would tell me about his growing up in the depression and how, for him and his "nuclear family", things were not as hard as it was for others less fortunate. My grandfather "had money" (earned through years of hard work, not inherited) would buy food stuffs and give them to the places that fed the not so lucky. He instilled in my dad and my dad, likewise, in me, the value of, pay for what you need and save for what you want and always help those in need. I continue to live by hat "mantra".

Gothenburg

Moves
05 Mar 18
1 edit

I am one of the "baby boomers' born shortly after VE day. My dad (100 this past Aug and still going, physically though not so much mentally, strong) would tell me about his growing up in the depression and how, for him and his "nuclear family", things were not as hard as it was for others less fortunate. My grandfather "had money" (earned through ye ...[text shortened]... ed and save for what you want and always help those in need. I continue to live by hat "mantra".
You could almost write a book about that, being a 'baby boomer'. I was a baby boomer too, 'after-war-child'.

Moves
05 Mar 18

Originally posted by @torunn
You could almost write a book about that, being a 'baby boomer'. I was a baby boomer too, 'after-war-child'.
There are many of us due, in no small part, to "The War" and the "celebrating" 😉 of it's end. 🙂

Gothenburg

Moves
05 Mar 18
1 edit

There are many of us due, in no small part, to "The War" and the "celebrating" 😉 of it's end. 🙂
Although we were never directly involved in the war, and didn't have much catching-up to do, there were consequences which my parents were well aware of. I have no recollection though, other than what people told me about.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Mar 18

I am one of the "baby boomers' born shortly after VE day. My dad (100 this past Aug and still going, physically though not so much mentally, strong) would tell me about his growing up in the depression and how, for him and his "nuclear family", things were not as hard as it was for others less fortunate. My grandfather "had money" (earned through ye ...[text shortened]... ed and save for what you want and always help those in need. I continue to live by hat "mantra".
We should be called the "Over the hill Gang"!!!

-VR

Moves
06 Mar 18

Originally posted by @very-rusty
We should be called the "Over the hill Gang"!!!

-VR
VR. Once again you "forgot" to acknowledge the source of the name. Will you not learn from previous experience? 😉

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
07 Mar 18

VR. Once again you "forgot" to acknowledge the source of the name. Will you not learn from previous experience? 😉
GBS,

Bite me! 😛

-VR

Moves
08 Mar 18

Originally posted by @very-rusty
GBS,

Bite me! 😛

-VR
My partner, ONCE, said that to me so I did. She was shocked.😲😀

Moves
08 Mar 18