1. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 19:43
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I'm by no means wealthy, but it's not difficult to see the fairness in that idea. If some people are required to carry most of the tax burden then why shouldn't they have more voting power? In time it would have the effect of evening out the tax burden and making it more fair. Overhauling the system by instituting a straight flat tax would do the same thi ...[text shortened]... ll claim to understand the complexities of life, but the simplest matters seem to confound them.
    This makes me wonder at your score on the sandy bidet test... have you taken it?
  2. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 20:29
    The happier nations in the world, such as Scandinavia, have a lower poor/rich divide.

Awarding the number of votes to either class, for whatever reason, would only serve to compound social problems and tension.
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 22:21
    Originally posted by neilarini
    The happier nations in the world, such as Scandinavia, have a lower poor/rich divide.

Awarding the number of votes to either class, for whatever reason, would only serve to compound social problems and tension.
    We know that, we are discussing the implementations if one of the scenarios had to be put in place.
  4. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 22:221 edit
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    [b]I will refrain from posting anymore as I will leave you to give your own opinion.[/b]
    The ignorant boob doesn't even know the meaning of his own statements.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 23:39
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    This makes me wonder at your score on the sandy bidet test... have you taken it?
    Probably. I was tested several times when I was in school. No one told me what my IQ was and I didn't ask. I frankly don't care. If anyone asks I usually tell them my average bowling score... it exceeds 200.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 02:45
    Originally posted by Tygert
    That is a good point for the poor living in more wealthy countries as they are not nearly off as bad. You see, in South Africa, a lot of the poor support people who I can tell you straight are NOT GOOD. Here in South Africa, those leaders who get voted for by the poor take the contents of portaloos and throw them over cars, houses and white people. They encou ...[text shortened]... ow ignorant some of them are, our president, Jacob Zuma, said that taking a shower prevents HIV.
    Yeah, that's a more severe level of poverty than what many western nations have. Still, there's one thing to consider: the "rich" would no doubt go out of their way to educate the "poor" in your country, if they have more votes. It would be in the best interests of the rich to show the poor why they should vote for a particular candidate. Many forms of education would follow, even much of it would (at least at first) be propaganda.

If the poor had more votes than the rich, then rich people would find a benefit in educating the poor, which further works out for them, and the nation as a whole.
  7. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 03:54
    Probably. I was tested several times when I was in school. No one told me what my IQ was and I didn't ask. I frankly don't care. If anyone asks I usually tell them my average bowling score... it exceeds 200.
    I've never tested a sandy bidet, I just decide not to use it if it's got sand in it.
  8. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 03:57
    Originally posted by vivify
    Yeah, that's a more severe level of poverty than what many western nations have. Still, there's one thing to consider: the "rich" would no doubt go out of their way to educate the "poor" in your country, if they have more votes. It would be in the best interests of the rich to show the poor why they should vote for a particular candidate. Many forms of edu ...[text shortened]... nd a benefit in educating the poor, which further works out for them, and the nation as a whole.
    I don't think thats a simplistic enough world view for him, after all he only scored 161 on the sandy bidet test.
  9. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 05:46
    In fact I think the whole question is posed the wrong way.
    Ther have been examples of worling societies with a vote based on wealth. The classical Greek democracies haven't been that democaratic by todays standards.

MY question would be: Should there be a entrance exam to allow voting at all?

This would check if people knew what they were doing. Of course it would be unfair from the start, so would have to be done by a superior being.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 05:54
    toilet humor 😕
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 10:37
    toilet humor 😕
    explanation?
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 12:081 edit
    Originally posted by Tygert
    That is a good point for the poor living in more wealthy countries as they are not nearly off as bad. You see, in South Africa, a lot of the poor support people who I can tell you straight are NOT GOOD. Here in South Africa, those leaders who get voted for by the poor take the contents of portaloos and throw them over cars, houses and white people. They encou ...[text shortened]... ow ignorant some of them are, our president, Jacob Zuma, said that taking a shower prevents HIV.
    The fact that S Africa is a troubled and divided country is hardly an argument for letting the rich get their snouts even further in the trough by disenfranchising the poor.

The poor argue that they should have more votes than the rich because they are more likely to be adversely affected by incompetent government and thus treat the electoral process with more gravitas.
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 18:451 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    explanation?
    I was referring to the sandy bidet test.
  14. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 21:26
    I was referring to the sandy bidet test.
    Nobody really outgrows toilet humour. 😀
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 21:33
    The wealthiest 20% and the poorest 20% of society should be ineligible to vote.

(Work it out yourselves)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree