1. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 13:27
    @drewnogal said
    I read that having social contact with at least 5 different people each week during old age is important for brain stimulation to protect against dementia. I’m not sure whether a discussion on an internet forum counts as being as helpful as a regular chat with a local shop keeper mind?
    I read that as well and although it is natural to gravitate to people with similar mindsets that is really not good for brain activity. Certainly chatting on a forum like this is a help. I am fortunate in that regard as I own a restaurant and bar down here in the islands and I meet and chat with dozens of people every month from all over Europe and North America. They say playing a musical instrument, or learning a foreign language, are also good for the brain.
  2. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 14:22
    @the-gravedigger said
    Yes, fair comment. I hope to bypass the nursing home and go straight from the bar to my grave.
    Employee benefits?
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 14:24
    "I'd walk a mile for a Camel"
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 14:28
    @rajk999 said
    I read that as well and although it is natural to gravitate to people with similar mindsets that is really not good for brain activity. Certainly chatting on a forum like this is a help. I am fortunate in that regard as I own a restaurant and bar down here in the islands and I meet and chat with dozens of people every month from all over Europe and North America. They say playing a musical instrument, or learning a foreign language, are also good for the brain.
    Do you have Kosher food on your menu?
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 20:52
    @rajk999 said
    Sounds like a nice way of life.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 10:531 edit
    @drewnogal said
    Sounds like a nice way of life.
    It is but there are some serious drawbacks [healthwise] being on a small island as health care is limited. There very little variety in the seasons as the temp is blazing hot and humid all year. Vacations require flying. In your case youall can get in your car and drive across Europe. I wish I could do that. All I can do here is relax on the beach anytime I want with a cooler of beers.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 12:10
    @drewnogal said
    I read that having social contact with at least 5 different people each week during old age is important for brain stimulation to protect against dementia. I’m not sure whether a discussion on an internet forum counts as being as helpful as a regular chat with a local shop keeper mind?
    “Old age”. Exactly how old is old age? Is it a mindset or or an actual number?🤔
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 15:20
    @great-big-stees said
    I think she means 70+ or so.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 15:541 edit
    @torunn said
    I think she means 70+ or so.
    I know a lady up in her 80's who still drives her own car!

Come to think about it I knew a man who was 92 still driving with a clean record. How many can say that? Not even a speeding ticket!!!

-VR
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 16:11
    @very-rusty said
    I know a lady up in her 80's who still drives her own car!

Come to think about it I knew a man who was 92 still driving with a clean record. How many can say that? Not even a speeding ticket!!!

-VR
    Nobody should be allowed to drive at the age of 92, in my opinion.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 16:441 edit
    @torunn said
    Nobody should be allowed to drive at the age of 92, in my opinion.
    For the man I knew, good thing you don't make the laws. He was quite capable and a better driver than many half his age.

On the other hand I've seen 20 year old's that shouldn't even have a license.!!!

-VR
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 16:55
    @very-rusty said
    For the man I knew, good thing you don't make the laws. He was quite capable and a better driver than many half his age.

On the other hand I've seen 20 year old's that shouldn't even have a license.!!!

-VR
    Yes, he may very well be a better driver than many much younger people, but it doesn't change the fact that he should decide not to drive his car any longer - in my opinion. I know what growing old is like - our vision, hearing and reaction are not what they used to be.
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 19:371 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    I suppose I was thinking of an age when someone has retired and one’s siblings and contemporaries are starting to ‘disappear’? When life gets quieter with fewer social contacts.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 19:431 edit
    @drewnogal said
    I suppose I was thinking of an age when someone has retired and one’s siblings and contemporaries are starting to ‘disappear’? When life gets quieter with fewer social contacts.
    That sometimes happens while the child is still very young.

I took early retirement didn't make me old I was still in my 50's at the time. I know fortunate as not everyone can do that.

I have many close friends and relatives who have passed, but that doesn't mean I can't make new friends, which I've done. Of course it doesn't replace the ones gone!@

-VR
  15. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 19:54
    @rajk999 said
    It is but there are some serious drawbacks [healthwise] being on a small island as health care is limited. There very little variety in the seasons as the temp is blazing hot and humid all year. Vacations require flying. In your case youall can get in your car and drive across Europe. I wish I could do that. All I can do here is relax on the beach anytime I want with a cooler of beers.
    Must confess I only just realised where your island is. My sister worked on a Caribbean cruise ship many years ago. She had a fabulous time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree