1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 07:40
    It sounds good but do we really want a government controlling our day to day choices? What will be next? Enforced exercise?

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2024/04/15/creating-a-smokefree-generation-and-tackling-youth-vaping-what-you-need-to-know/
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 08:29
    @Drewnogal

children blewo 15? In germayn it is illegal to buy smokes below 16.

In fact yes I think governament has an obligation to shield children and teens from developping harmful ways.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 08:531 edit
    @ponderable said
    @Drewnogal

In fact yes I think governament has an obligation to shield children and teens from developping harmful ways.
    I agree there - I think we all owe it to our children to avoid the destructive habit of smoking. It does great harm.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:051 edit
    @ponderable said
    @Drewnogal

That law already exists here. This new law will make it illegal for any child born after 2009 to EVER buy or smoke cigarettes ….. for the rest of their lives.
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:08
    @torunn said
    I agree there - I think we all owe it to our children to avoid the destructive habit of smoking. It does great harm.
    I agree with that and it also results in a great cost to our national health service but what would young people be banned from doing next? Perhaps a ban on buying sweets?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:211 edit
    @drewnogal said
    I agree with that and it also results in a great cost to our national health service but what would young people be banned from doing next? Perhaps a ban on buying sweets?
    From what I remember [I lived there for about a year or so in my younger days], the typical British adult woman was fat, and so were some men. Their diet was loaded with carbs and sweets. They all smoked and drank lots of beers.

What the govt should really do is, rather than telling people what is healthy and forcing them to have that, is to have a list of self-inflicted diseases for which will pay to have medical care. So eat and drink as you please, but when the time comes pay the doctors and hospitals.

What is going on is that because medical care is free, people are abusing the food which damages their health.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:42
    @drewnogal said
    It sounds good but do we really want a government controlling our day to day choices? What will be next? Enforced exercise?

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2024/04/15/creating-a-smokefree-generation-and-tackling-youth-vaping-what-you-need-to-know/
    We don't want the government poking their snouts into our lives.
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:43
    @rajk999 said
    From what I remember [I lived there for about a year or so in my younger days], the typical British adult woman was fat, and so were some men. Their diet was loaded with carbs and sweets. They all smoked and drank lots of beers.

What the govt should really do is, rather than telling people what is healthy and forcing them to have that, is to have a list of self-inflic ...[text shortened]... ing on is that because medical care is free, people are abusing the food which damages their health.
    True, we also spend billions of pounds 'treating' drug addicts.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:49
    @the-gravedigger said
    We don't want the government poking their snouts into our lives.
    Only when you get sick ...
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 11:50
    @the-gravedigger said
    True, we also spend billions of pounds 'treating' drug addicts.
    The drug addicts are smiling. If it cost them, they would think twice. Consequences and responsibility, they day people understand that their lives would be far better.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 12:27
    @rajk999 said

What the govt should really do is, rather than telling people what is healthy and forcing them to have that, is to have a list of self-inflic ...[text shortened]... ing on is that because medical care is free, people are abusing the food which damages their health.
    Oh to be perfect eh? There will always be and always have been people who overindulge in lots of things. Hey this really tastes good or hey this makes me feel really good. It’s hard not to try something that does that, we all do or have done it. Some just try it and move on, others can’t move on. We then have to deal with that. Too bad everyone can’t live by, “moderation”.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 12:36
    @great-big-stees said
    Oh to be perfect eh? There will always be and always have been people who overindulge in lots of things. Hey this really tastes good or hey this makes me feel really good. It’s hard not to try something that does that, we all do or have done it. Some just try it and move on, others can’t move on. We then have to deal with that. Too bad everyone can’t live by, “moderation”.
    Of course, I know, then pay for your medical care. Why should taxpayers pay for it.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 12:45
    @rajk999 said
    Of course, I know, then pay for your medical care. Why should taxpayers pay for it.
    We do, where I live…through those taxes.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 13:26
    @drewnogal said
    Enforced exercise?
    lol
    i'm just thinking out loud, please keep yer knives sheathed

let's MAKE EARTH GREAT AGAIN - MEGA
    what needs to be done is go back in time to the great days of yore when men hunted and women gathered and children shut the heck up
    no more machines!
    no more computers!
    no more silly games like chess and hide and seek!
    i don't advocate for forced exercise,
    BUT
    if you don't you go hungry and die
    life spans will go back to 40 years, total

oh dear
    i just reread my rant and now i must croak

cya
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 14:22
    @drewnogal said
    Too much sweets isn't good either, too much of anything in fact isn't good but cigarettes being so addictive and harmful are difficult to compare with other things.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree