1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 10:04
    @the-pickled-walrus said
    I cut chicken breast into strips and cooked it in bacon grease.

😮 It was soft and tender and tasted great 🤗
    Excellent choice imo. Pieces of chicken wrapped in bacon also and even a bit of cheese under the bacon. It's a bit like coating a Turkey with strips of bacon to keep the meat succulent. Also put the Turkey in the oven upside down so it doesn't get dry.
  2. Joined
    01 May '20
    Moves
    24 May '20 13:49
    @petewxyz

I have yet to tackle the turkey 🤔
    I have been thinking about it though.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 May '20 15:08
    @petewxyz said
    Excellent choice imo. Pieces of chicken wrapped in bacon also and even a bit of cheese under the bacon. It's a bit like coating a Turkey with strips of bacon to keep the meat succulent. Also put the Turkey in the oven upside down so it doesn't get dry.
    Does the flavour of the bacon get into the turkey, sounds like something to try.

-VR
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    24 May '20 15:33
    @petewxyz said
    Love making up different coleslaws. This week had red onion, white cabbage, little bit of carrot, yoghurt and mayonnaise (half/half) salt and pepper. Had that one mixed up with boiled rice, hoisin sauce and tinned crab meat. Loved it. Love rollmop herrings! Mixing up sweet corn with crab meat, hoisin and rice works for me as well.
    Thanks for the ideas. I have a couple tins of crab meat that I didn't know what to do with, plus the other ingredients you mentioned.

Do you put any vinegar in your coleslaw?
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 15:39
    @very-rusty said
    Does the flavour of the bacon get into the turkey, sounds like something to try.

-VR
    You don't get much flavour from the bacon, but if you don't like dry white turkey meat this will make it moist and succulent. Makes a big difference.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 15:48
    @caesar-salad said
    Thanks for the ideas. I have a couple tins of crab meat that I didn't know what to do with, plus the other ingredients you mentioned.

Do you put any vinegar in your coleslaw?
    Personally I think you either go with half and half yoghurt and mayonnaise or half vinegar and oil. The two don't mix. If you go with the latter I just add Herbs de Provence but it's an opportunity to try different herb mixtures. If you do mayo and yoghurt just salt and pepper imo.

I am into reducing ocean plastic by reducing demand for plastic products. If you buy ready made coleslaws regularly you would be surprised how many plastic tubs you use compared to a big cartoon of natural yoghurt, ideally not plastic if that is available where you are. Also fresh white cabbage and red onions is crisper, fresher and better!
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 May '20 15:521 edit
    @petewxyz said
    You don't get much flavour from the bacon, but if you don't like dry white turkey meat this will make it moist and succulent. Makes a big difference.
    I was thinking some of the bacon flavour would get into the turkey. I've been turning my Turkey upside down for years now, learned that from my Mother. Seems to keep it pretty moist, thinking of trying the bacon next time to see if it makes any difference.
  8. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 May '20 16:26
    Dry Turkey is a major drag. I'm learning the art of baking bread (better than my current chess form), pork chipolatas, smothered in an aged English Mustard.

This of course requires large amounts of alcohol... All good with the digestion so far...🚬
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    24 May '20 16:31
    I have tried to bake bread a few times. I might have missed a career in masonry.
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 16:432 edits
    @caesar-salad said
    I have tried to bake bread a few times. I might have missed a career in masonry.
    I have a friend who ran a community bakery so I used to go down there and bake. They kept a wild yeast culture going for sourdough but basically the difference seemed to me that they had a tent in the building with a humidifier in it so really carefully managing the humidity and temperature when the bread was rising which you just can't reproduce at home. For a while I went on their rota of bakers, mixing and shaping and so on. Group of local people making bread for the group made a nice place to go, but you also got a cheap loaf of decent bread that wasn't in a plastic bag!

I also know somebody who got a bread machine. That bread was decent but they were going some way to get good quality flour.

Edit: I should add they weren't purist about it and added shop bought yeast as well to get the best mix. Making the best bread is way more important than whether entirely sourdough!
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 May '20 17:18
    @petewxyz said
    anybody else stumble on any interesting combinations?
    i need to feed the dogs
    and then i can feed me
    since the dog food can is already open
    feeding me is simplicity
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 May '20 17:35
    I made a nice dish yesterday on chicken breast, double cream, crème-fraiche, chicken broth, soya, rhubarb chutney, eaten with rice. Nice.
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    24 May '20 17:53
    @torunn said
    I made a nice dish yesterday on chicken breast, double cream, crème-fraiche, chicken broth, soya, rhubarb chutney, eaten with rice. Nice.
    Rhubarb chutney! I would never have imagined such a thing. But that sounds great.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    24 May '20 17:55
    @rookie54 said
    i need to feed the dogs
    and then i can feed me
    since the dog food can is already open
    feeding me is simplicity
    Yer such a wag.
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    24 May '20 18:24
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Would you mind dressing yourself in bacon for a day and we'll let you know?

Sorry, sir -- you must have known that was coming. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree