1. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 18:34
    @torunn said
    I made a nice dish yesterday on chicken breast, double cream, crème-fraiche, chicken broth, soya, rhubarb chutney, eaten with rice. Nice.
    Sounds great, is that full fat cream or would that work with reduced fat?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 May '20 19:131 edit
    @petewxyz said
    Sounds great, is that full fat cream or would that work with reduced fat?
    It is, I think, what you call full fat cream, and there is also crème fraiche with less fat. Try it. This is my own recipe and there are also other chutneys that would work just as well.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 21:18
    @torunn said
    It is, I think, what you call full fat cream, and there is also crème fraiche with less fat. Try it. This is my own recipe and there are also other chutneys that would work just as well.
    I'll give that a go. Possibly also with caramelised onion chutney as that is a favourite!
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 May '20 21:18
    @petewxyz

The yeast (no pun intended) I get from the supermarket, from the bakery - a guy I know. No Idea about types & differences. Nice one, some homework🚬
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    24 May '20 21:321 edit
    @hells-caretaker said
    @petewxyz

The yeast (no pun intended) I get from the supermarket, from the bakery - a guy I know. No Idea about types & differences. Nice one, some homework🚬
    Same as the community bakery where I was working, they just got a solid block from the bakery in the supermarket. Don't know if they would generally do that or whether they just got to know them!

First day you get a starter going with the sourdough and some flour and water. By the next day there was enough of that to get five big tubs mixed by adding it to more flour, water, supermarket yeast and some salt. That all went in the fridge then next morning shaped up about 70 loaves for the humid tent for about an hour, before baking and use the scraps off the table in a little tub with flour and water to keep that culture going for the following week.

The guy running it converted a garage then steadily got more and more people into doing it with him. You call it a community group rather than a shop and you accept donations to cover costs rather than making sales and its basically free bread for everybody in the group plus a small donation!
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 May '20 21:521 edit
    A pity, without space & garden, greenhouse etc. Eureka, human ingenuity, I envy those who have an allotment or greater but that's is..... I wonder what's better cooking Meth or Broth? Maybe I should save that one for another thread.🚬

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree