Dyslexia stories

Dyslexia stories

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
79d

@kewpie said
"When the system here has auto spelling check"

Whatever gave you that idea? I see an abysmal level of spelling errors every day on this forum.
Because people ignore the subtle underlining in red.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
79d

@pettytalk said
Thanks Rusty. I'm certain Kewpie can back me up also, unless this person is a perfect speller 100% of the times he posts here. I imagine he was only trying to be humorous. I merely returned the compliment in code.

Since you know Dive more intimately than I do, since he's always at your heels a long time, do you rate him as material worthy of Oxford? Maybe as one of the plumbers there, since he likes water?
"He"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
79d

@very-rusty said
Is it honor or honour?

Honor and honour mean the same thing. However, the spelling tends to vary depending on whether you're writing UK or US English: In US English, “honor” (no “u&rdquo😉 is correct. In UK English, “honour” (with a “u&rdquo😉 is standard.Jan 23, 2023

This may be the answer as it is actually an English site.

-VR
British English is overly dependent on French.

Quite bizarre as they've been at war with them numerous times.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
79d

@moonbus said
I do not know to what 'malfunction' you are referring.
The mixing up of left and right which I talked about in my OP.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
79d

@suzianne said
Because people ignore the subtle underlining in red.
That is exactly what they do, I've done it myself on occasion. 🙂

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
78d

@divegeester said
The mixing up of left and right which I talked about in my OP.
Ah, right. I mean, now I understand. So, what about port and starboard? Just like the submariner? Can you keep those straight?

Australia

Moves
78d
1 edit

I am an elderly female with a lifelong interest in all things linguistic and grammatical. Of course I'm aware of spell-check and grammar-check indicator colours (red and green respectively). I type on an Android tablet which does not display either colour, but since I rarely use a laptop these days I can't speak for laptop users. Many people here use tiny phone keyboards and many more aren't fanatical about either spelling or grammar, so mostly I just ignore all the errors I see here. Dyslexia isn't within my own personal experience, but my retired engineer husband has a problem with left and right which must have made his job harder. He has problems with port and starboard too, and he's not colour-blind.

Moves
78d

@moonbus said
@divegeester

Dyslexia isn't an on-or-off thing, like diabetes. It is a psychologists' wastebasket description for a wide spectrum of character traits which have been commonly, and in my opinion wrongly, classified as 'deficits.' Similar to dyscalculia and autism, 'dyslexia' describes a bundle of abilities more or less strongly present in varying degrees in any given individual.
Hi moonbus, dive. I think this would depend on the degree, combination of, and level it controls someone’s life. I feel there are positive helpful traits with these yet also things like lifelong heavy anxiety, depression and some life controlling tendencies. I do feel the way the world is as you touched on, it’s not really, (I guess🙂) set up to how our brains mostly function making it difficult to fit in. I also think there needs to be more understanding of those with these instead of pre judging.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
78d
2 edits

@mike69 said
Hi moonbus, dive. I think this would depend on the degree, combination of, and level it controls someone’s life. I feel there are positive helpful traits with these yet also things like lifelong heavy anxiety, depression and some life controlling tendencies. I do feel the way the world is as you touched on, it’s not really, (I guess🙂) set up to how our brains mostly functi ...[text shortened]... t in. I also think there needs to be more understanding of those with these instead of pre judging.
The key is personal growth, to transform yourself into the realized self you were meant to be, instead of attempting to force the world to adhere to your selfish, unrealized but idealized, self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_self_and_false_self

https://evolutioncounseling.com/idealized-self-image/

https://www.psychotherapy.net/blog/title/reviving-the-real-self-why-we-should-all-be-reading-karen-horney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis_and_Human_Growth

This is exactly why I went into psychology.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
78d

@moonbus said
Ah, right. I mean, now I understand. So, what about port and starboard? Just like the submariner? Can you keep those straight?
Well I don’t even know which is which so I’ve got no chance!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
78d

@mike69 said
I think this would depend on the degree, combination of, and level it controls someone’s life. I feel there are positive helpful traits with these yet also things like lifelong heavy anxiety, depression and some life controlling tendencies.
I’ve not suffered with depression, although with some of the stuff I’ve been through in the last 5 years I do wonder how not. I have been susceptible to anxiety though, when work was a major stress some years ago. Neither of those impacted, nor were impacted by, the stuff in my OP about dyslexic traits.

My wife suffered from a bout of depression several years ago when her work was getting too much. Personal life adjustments, prioritisation and a doc recommended app on thinking therapy sorted it and she’s been fine ever since.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
78d

@divegeester said
Well I don’t even know which is which so I’ve got no chance!
I remember port is left because they both have the same number of letters. That's my mnemonic.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
78d

@suzianne said
I remember port is left because they both have the same number of letters. That's my mnemonic.
Ah-ha!

Nice.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
78d

@suzianne said
I always hold a bottle of port in my left hand (being left handed).

Moves
78d

@suzianne said
The key is personal growth, to transform yourself into the realized self you were meant to be, instead of attempting to force the world to adhere to your selfish, unrealized but idealized, self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_self_and_false_self

https://evolutioncounseling.com/idealized-self-image/

https://www.psychotherapy.net/blog/title/reviving-the-real-self- ...[text shortened]... tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis_and_Human_Growth

This is exactly why I went into psychology.
Are you listening to the words coming out of your mouth😉? Do you really think I don’t understand and do what you’re saying., I analyze everything?? I’m not sure why the attack, but I have nothing against you, but do try and help you with your unrealized potential and you’re way off, truth. Unless you’ve lived with these things your whole life and are talking from knowledge and experience or your links I’m not interested. I was also speaking in general and issues I’ve seen and tried to talk and help with. If you think the things I mentioned above are easily fixed try linking/comparing the mortality rate from su to those without Aspergers and the others as it’s very common to have more than one and those with and lifespan.