1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 18:00
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Last time I shot a man was when he spelt defence with an "s".
    http://grammarist.com/spelling/defence-defense/

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world.

Looks like you'll be poppin' that pistol more and more.
  2. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 18:03
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Last time I shot a man was when he spelt defence with an "s".
    I never realised you could be so cruel.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 18:50
    Originally posted by Executioner Brand
    I never realised you could be so cruel.
    Just be grateful you spelt 'realised' with an S and not a Z.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 23:00
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://grammarist.com/spelling/defence-defense/

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defen ...[text shortened]... ghout the English-speaking world.

Looks like you'll be poppin' that pistol more and more.[/b]
    Hey - I was only joking, I never shot the guy!!!

Just messed him up a little.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 08:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    At least I'm not insisting that I have buddies in the yakuza.
    Well the me-and-the-yakuza thing was a joke, as you well know, so does that mean you losing count of how many homeless people's lives you've saved with CPR was a joke too?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well the me-and-the-yakuza thing was a joke, as you well know, so does that mean you losing count of how many homeless people's lives you've saved with CPR was a joke too?
    Looks like your whole life is a joke.
  7. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 14:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is what psychiatry is about. Immigrants spreading fake news and then stopping when they are drugged.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 15:18
    Are you upset about something?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 16:472 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Just so everyone here can see what kind of scumbag, cheap-shot used-car-salesman loser you are to people like me, who dare to disagree with you on nearly an everyday basis, here's the post I made, replying to Ghost of a Duke, that you have jumped on repeatedly, merely because somehow you think it showcases my motivations when it was an "off-the-cuff" comment talking about something completely different. And still you wonder why I do disagree with you on nearly everything. This was a discussion thread about whether people should give money to the poor or homeless or try to help them in other ways. It was a good thread, too, until you jumped in and started denigrating this post I made and ending up making the discussion all about you, as usual. Nearly five months ago now, and you still can't let it go.

27 Sep '16 04:01
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I have on occasion asked such individuals if I can get them anything from the bakery. (A sandwich or such). Although I agree with you to some extent that it is their responsibility how they spend the money (if you elect to give it to them) but by buying something for them I retain control of what that money is used for. (Perhaps this is for my own peace of mind that i am not helping to fuel a drug habit or the like).

Has it ever occurred to you that in asserting your control over what they spend it on, this disrespects their humanity? You control their spending, and so you retain authority over them. I'm sure that a lot of them might reject your help because of the strings that come with it. Why can't we just treat people like people, regardless what their social status is?? A man is already ashamed of being reduced to begging for help, but for people to exert their authority over him by providing conditions on their gift (I sometimes call it a loan, so we can both pretend that they'll pay me back), it reduces the man to less than a man (women seem to have less of a problem with it, men especially chafe at ceding control to another). These people have self-respect, too. They aren't usually in their situation because they want to be. I deal with homeless people nearly every day, and I can see the thankfulness in their eyes when I go beyond how most people treat them and treat them like actual human beings. It is indeed the least we can do for them. I ask their name and call them by their name. I don't patronize them by calling them 'sir' or 'ma'am' unless they're significantly older than me. I can't count how many I've had to drag into my car and take them to the hospital. I've had to give some CPR. Some make it, some don't. But I treat them all with respect. And when I do give someone money to buy food, I don't treat them like a child who can't be trusted with the money.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 17:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Just so everyone here can see what kind of scumbag, cheap-shot used-car-salesman loser you are to people like me, who dare to disagree with you on nearly an everyday basis, here's the post I made, replying to Ghost of a Duke, that you have jumped on repeatedly, merely because somehow you think it showcases my motivations when it was an "off-the-cuff" ...[text shortened]... someone money to buy food, I don't treat them like a child who can't be trusted with the money.
    And you really can't remember the number of lives you've saved (and how many people died despite your efforts) giving CPR in the street or in the back of a car? Is it dozens of people whose lives you saved? Is it more than 50? Is it hundreds of people? It must be an awful lot if you can't remember.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 18:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    And you really can't remember the number of lives you've saved (and how many people died despite your efforts) giving CPR in the street or in the back of a car? Is it dozens of people whose lives you saved? Is it more than 50? Is it hundreds of people? It must be an awful lot if you can't remember.
    Like she said, you can't let it go. She said her piece. You chose not to believe it just like that idiot Sietse responded when I mentioned a few of the places I worked around the world like that was supposed to be some kind of unique experience among people then he starts with the age prejudice bit, with pejoratives and such.

So here you are, she tells you of her work experience, make it like she is some kind of wonder woman for the homeless, selflessly going out and finding homeless people to help.

It was her job you frigging idiot. Get over it. But of course you won't, you will just come back with the same old MO.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 18:42
    So here you are, she tells you of her work experience, make it like she is some kind of wonder woman for the homeless, selflessly going out and finding homeless people to help.
    Who is making it seem like she is "some kind of wonder woman"? What are you on about?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 18:46
    You chose not to believe it just like that idiot Sietse responded when I mentioned a few of the places I worked around the world like that was supposed to be some kind of unique experience among people then he starts with the age prejudice bit, with pejoratives and such.
    What do Seitse's prejudices and pejoratives have to do with me?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 19:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do Seitse's prejudices and pejoratives have to do with me?
    You keep saying somehow Suz is what, lying when she says she helps homeless, like that is such a unique thing, NOBODY ever helps homeless, apparently, in your eyes so you are just a troll like Sietse.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '17 03:17
    You keep saying somehow Suz is what, lying when she says she helps homeless, like that is such a unique thing, NOBODY ever helps homeless, apparently, in your eyes so you are just a troll like Sietse.
    Where did I say 'nobody helps the homeless'? I'm not asking whether she helps the homeless and I certainly haven't suggested she is "lying" about that [can you quote me if you think I have?] I am enquiring about how one can possibly lose count of how many people one has effectively brought back from the dead on the street or on the back seat of a speeding car by giving CPR. Was it a joke perhaps?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree