1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 11:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How does 22 billion equal trillions of dollars? Do you figure they just scoop up money and launch it into space and like, what, dump it on the moon?

You act like that money can cure all the problems of the US in one fell swoop.

What about the ACTUAL trillions spent on the Iraq war started by president Cheney? If the cities and states had THAT money they wouldn't HAVE money problems would they?
    Yeah: nothing like that 25 year long "one fell swoop."

Read much?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 13:21
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Yeah: nothing like that 25 year long "one fell swoop."

Read much?
    You still think NASA has a trillion dollars?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 13:52
    You still think NASA has a trillion dollars?
    Do you still think I think they do?
    Your position is so specious, you are forced to attack the opposition on imagined points you ascribe to it.
    Do I think NASA has a trillion, or did they simply have the same at one point or another?
    They certainly couldn't have it now, as they've been paying CGI techs and other masters at the sleight of hand for services rendered.
    But they def have received a trillion, perhaps more.
    Back of the envelope figuring...
    ~$150B for the faking of the moon landing, a likely average $18B/year budget in excess of 50 years... yeah: they are in the trillionaire club, fo' sho'.
    But that's not the issue, is it?
    Had all that money gone to something actually useful--- i.e., city infrastructure, our cities would be thriving today, instead of being plagued by crime, blight.
    But hell!
    Maybe I'm being too hard on them there astro-nots.
    Maybe all that money has actually produced some good, you know, for all mankind.
    So let's do some trumpeting for good ol' NASA, shall we?
    Let's list the appreciable ways NASA has impacted man's overall betterment on a day to day basis, m'kay?
    In the spirit of sportsmanship, I'll even go first.

NASA'S TOP CONTRIBUTIONS TO SOCIETY --- by FreakyKBH and his little buddy, sonhouse

1. TANG (the drink mix, naturally. The other one has been around from the beginning)

2. VELCRO

okay, little buddy: take it from here!
    This is going to be fun!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:042 edits
    Do you still think I think they do?
    Your position is so specious, you are forced to attack the opposition on imagined points you ascribe to it.
    Do I think NASA has a trillion, or did they simply [b]have
    the same at one point or another?
    They certainly couldn't have it now, as they've been paying CGI techs and other masters at the sleight of h ...[text shortened]... the beginning)

2. VELCRO

okay, little buddy: take it from here!
    This is going to be fun![/b]
    There is a lot more than that but you are the one claiming they blew a trillion dollars, that is all I am talking about. You said somehow 61 mil a day turns into trillions. That was your post. And the Iraq war actually DID cost over a trillion dollars. So bitch about THAT if you are actually concerned about money spent.

BTW, where did you get the news NASA invented Velcro and Tang? Velcro was invented by a Swiss engineer by the name of George de Mestral. Of course for you that is a good thing, one less invention on NASA's side. Here is a list of stuff NASA actually DID invent:

http://www.businessinsider.com/everyday-items-developed-by-nasa-2012-8

I guess it means nothing that there is American pride in being able to beat the Soviets to the moon.

We didn't just beat them, we SMASHED them, all their rockets blew up.

But of course NASA AND the Soviets AND China AND India AND Israel are ALL lying about putting up satellites, according to you.

Funny you would expect for some countries to be putting up credible evidence of that lack of satellites, for instance the very first one, which happened before you were born most likely, a date I remember well, October 4, 1957 when I was in HS in Anchorage.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:05
    3. NON STICK SAUCEPANS.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:06
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    3. NON STICK SAUCEPANS.
    Anti-velcro🙂
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:19
    There is a lot more than that but you are the one claiming they blew a trillion dollars, that is all I am talking about. You said somehow 61 mil a day turns into trillions. That was your post. And the Iraq war actually DID cost over a trillion dollars. So bitch about THAT if you are actually concerned about money spent.

BTW, where did you get the news ...[text shortened]... ou were born most likely, a date I remember well, October 4, 1957 when I was in HS in Anchorage.
    Well, don't give up so easily!
    Just because Velcro is off the books doesn't mean we don't have a sizable amount of momentum with that one thing which man can thank NASA for.
    Go on, then!
    Add to that list the appreciable contributions to mankind as a result of NASA's work.
    Improvements to their lives, things like that.
    I am so pumped to see how many we can add to that first huge one, Tang.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:401 edit
    Well, don't give up so easily!
    Just because Velcro is off the books doesn't mean we don't have a sizable amount of momentum with that one thing which man can thank NASA for.
    Go on, then!
    Add to that list the appreciable contributions to mankind as a result of NASA's work.
    Improvements to their lives, things like that.
    I am so pumped to see how many we can add to that first huge one, Tang.
    I have nothing to prove about NASA. YOU are the one with the hard on against NASA and every other space faring nation. I will post nothing else and it is up to you to prove my link bogus since you are the one who thinks NASA lies about everything and every other nation in space. And I did notice you pointedly refuse to respond about the trillions NASA supposedly has. Could it be you find it impossible to ever say you were actually wrong about something?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 14:50
    I have nothing to prove about NASA. YOU are the one with the hard on against NASA and every other space faring nation. I will post nothing else and it is up to you to prove my link bogus since you are the one who thinks NASA lies about everything and every other nation in space. And I did notice you pointedly refuse to respond about the trillions NASA supp ...[text shortened]... dly has. Could it be you find it impossible to ever say you were actually wrong about something?
    Your list is of items which bring a sum total of exactly ZERO to the daily lives of people--- even assuming everyone of them true!
    Think on that: given that insane amount of money over the years, a nearly unlimited supply of funding, and even when given the latitude to present even imagined contributions, NASA meekly and weakly offers up...

Photoshpped pictures of nebula clouds light years away?

Are you kidding me??
    This is their contribution from all that money?
    Come on, sonhouse!
    You're not working very hard on our project.

So, we have Tang.
    What else?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:37
    Your list is of items which bring a sum total of exactly ZERO to the daily lives of people--- even assuming everyone of them true!
    Think on that: given that insane amount of money over the years, a nearly unlimited supply of funding, and even when given the latitude to present even imagined contributions, NASA meekly and weakly offers up...

Photoshppe ...[text shortened]... e on, sonhouse!
    You're not working very hard on our project.

So, we have Tang.
    What else?
    I already told you I am not playing your game. If you don't believe anything there is nothing I or anyone else can say that will convince you and NASA is not the only one launching telescopes in space. You know ZERO about optics yet pose yourself as some kind of expert able to criticize people with a thousand times your education and intelligence when in fact you have neither the education or intelligence to criticize a lawnmower much less anyone of genius able to design, build and launch into space long lasting space telescopes like Hubble or ESA's scopes.

Peddle your wares elsewhere, like on a soapbox in Hyde park in London, maybe THEY will fall for your gags.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 16:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 17:29
    So, we have Tang.
    What else?
    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 19:21
    I already told you I am not playing your game. If you don't believe anything there is nothing I or anyone else can say that will convince you and NASA is not the only one launching telescopes in space. You know ZERO about optics yet pose yourself as some kind of expert able to criticize people with a thousand times your education and intelligence when in f ...[text shortened]... r wares elsewhere, like on a soapbox in Hyde park in London, maybe THEY will fall for your gags.
    You won't "play the game" as you say because you know you have a losing hand.
    I am willing to ACCEPT every item in the link you provided without prejudice--- as though each and every item described and displayed is exactly as stated.
    The question comes down to...
    What do these accomplishments contribute to society.
    Asked to give an accounting for the inordinate amounts of money given to NASA, and you say: oooh, look at the pretty pictures!
    Who cares, exactly?

HandyAndy provided a link with 25 discoveries/accomplishments wrought from NASA which are used in industries both specific and broad, as well as in end-consumer use.
    Unfortunately, the majority of these advances are neither exclusively from NASA and in some cases, not at all.
    Of the 25, only four were a result of NASA's sole involvement, one aspect of which is related to programming which is highly non-exclusive.
    The remaining 21 innovations were a result of others' research and development.
    But let's give poor ol' NASA a fighting chance.
    Let's give them credit for ALL 25 innovations, and then throw in that extra special one, Tang to bring the total to 26.
    According to its own unassailable testimony, NASA has been an integral part of some 1,800 spin-offs, wherein they supplied the basic idea or some foundation and then granted another company to develop the same.
    So 58 years of budget receiving at least 1% of the national budget (4.4% during the heady days of chasing the moon), for around a trillion dollars.
    That's about $17.2B/year on average that entire time.
    Is it money well spent?
    Do we need Photoshopped pictures of distant galaxies when there are so many issues right here?
    If we gave credit to NASA for the entirety of the 26 innovations and the 1,800 spin-offs--- as though all the research was funded by us, which it was not--- could it come close to the monies received this entire time?
    The whole innovation field with which NASA has been involved doesn't amount to one year's average budget, let alone six decades of the same.
    It's big claim to fame, the alleged moon landing: what did this bring anyone?
    Appreciably?
    Zilch.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 19:43
    It's big claim to fame, the alleged moon landing: what did this bring anyone?
    Appreciably?
    Zilch.
    It's that old devil moon that you stole from the skies
    It's that old devil moon in your eyes
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:23
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It's that old devil moon that you stole from the skies
    It's that old devil moon in your eyes
    Thanks, Frank.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree