Standard memberogb
General 04 Jun '17 13:58
  1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 03:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    2nd amendment - "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

"Well regulated militia", not so much anymore. Originally intended, to the best of my knowledge, to prevent government tyranny. Perhaps one of the more astute American history buffs can verify that.
    The right applies to defense against federal, state or local governments.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 04:121 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    2nd amendment - "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

"Well regulated militia", not so much anymore. Originally intended, to the best of my knowledge, to prevent government tyranny. Perhaps one of the more astute American history buffs can verify th ...[text shortened]... ot be infringed".

As a non-American I don't expect you to agree, or understand what it means.
    It's not just a matter of being a non-American. I'm sure you've heard of wide spaces with not many people we have over here (Australia) . A lot of the legal law does not apply to many areas where there is simply no one to hear you if someone does something.
    Travelling in the country I may well have a good reason for personal defence.
    That is not my style however. I'm sure in the U.S. I wouldn't have a gun either. Always trusted my fists.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, "
    .. so you do know what I'm talking about.
    Does this not seem outdated to you?

"Not so much anymore" Was it ever?

It seems to keep your country safe you have armed the populace who has done much more damage to U.S. citizens than any foreign invaders have.
    9/11 = about a third of all homicides a year.
    You're killing yourselves and you are justifying it
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I don't worry over what other people do, I can't do anything about that. All I can do is make sure they don't do it to me or the ones I love.
    Not with a gun, you can't. With a gun, at best you can make him not do it again. Guns are offensive weapons, not defensive ones. That's no good to your children if the burglar shot first.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 23:28
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Guns are offensive weapons, not defensive ones.
    Not in her hands.
    Suzi shoots bullets out of the air!