1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 20:31
    @the-gravedigger said
    The GF has gone so far down the rabbit hole recently that you are starting to sound like the voice of reason.
    Look in the mirror when you say that and wonder why? 🙂

-VR
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 21:24
    @very-rusty said
    Look in the mirror when you say that and wonder why? 🙂

-VR
    I'm not complaining. I like being down the rabbit hole.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Sep '21 21:31
    @the-gravedigger said
    You seem like an odd fellow to me!

-VR
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 03:512 edits
    @shallow-blue said
    I only like posts, never posters. I even liked some - in fact, quite a few - of Her Who Shall Not Be Named's posts. And I downvoted some of... someone else...'s posts.

I don't claim to be impartial, but I am willing to swim against my own stream once in a while. Nullius in verba.
    “This above all: to thine own self be true
    And it must follow, as the night the day
    Thou canst not then be false to any man
    Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!” -- Polonius, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene III

"And to hell with what anyone else thinks." -- Suzianne
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 05:58
    @suzianne said

"And to hell with what anyone else thinks." -- Suzianne
    And yet you consistently seem to get most upset by what other people here think.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 06:051 edit
    @divegeester said
    And yet you consistently seem to get most upset by what other people here think.
    Who's upset? Maybe in your dreamland. Maybe you didn't read what I just said.

I'm thinking that you continually pontificating about my life shows that you're upset... about something.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 06:33
    @suzianne said
    “This above all: to thine own self be true
    -- Polonius, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene III
    Fair point.
    Unless you are a serial killer. Then don't be true to thy self and stop killing people.
    Strangely although widely quoted Polonius was a thoroughly unpleasant character.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 06:402 edits
    @suzianne said
    Who's upset? Maybe in your dreamland. Maybe you didn't read what I just said.
    I’m not saying you are upset now, as you know.

I’m pointing out that your self-quote about “to hell with what other people think” doesn’t resonate as something you personally internalise, because you are consistently the person here who gets the most upset at what (some) other people say.

However I do agree with the sentiment “don’t worry about what other people think”, but of course it is impossible to be completely free of that concern.

I concern myself about what other people think of me. Less so in here to be fair, because the personal consequences to me of what a poster here thinks of me, are very low. But what does that lack of concern do to me I wonder.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 07:21
    @the-gravedigger said
    I prefer my Badger set.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 12:221 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    Fair point.
    Unless you are a serial killer. Then don't be true to thy self and stop killing people.
    Strangely although widely quoted Polonius was a thoroughly unpleasant character.
    He got this part right, at least.

Too many people concern themselves with lying about themselves, even to themselves. So, even if you cannot be true to anyone else, at least be true to yourself. This is the way to mental health. Even if you're an abhorrent, morally ambiguous person, knowing and understanding the truth of oneself means that at least you won't be crazy. If you're ever on trial for your life, if you're morally ambiguous, you could fake being nuts, but at least you won't actually be nuts.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 12:283 edits
    @divegeester said

I concern myself about what other people think of me. Less so in here to be fair, because the personal consequences to me of what a poster here thinks of me, are very low. But what does that lack of concern do to me I wonder.
    I believe you see the results of what it says about what it does to you in the amount of red thumbs. You probably have as many or more red thumbs than I have in 15 years.

Even I noticed the amount of red thumbs you been getting. These are just random red thumbs no one went out and said lets give the gooster a bunch of red thumbs. They have been well earned. How has that affected your reputation on the site?

I just answered the part of your quote I had a comment on.

I don't think you could find anyone with a bad word to say about HandyAndy. Can you say that?

-VR
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 12:36
    @very-rusty said
    I don't think you could find anyone with a bad word to say about HandyAndy.
    I miss Andy too.

He has always been one of the more straight-up users on this site.

A compliment from him carries weight, IMO.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 16:411 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I believe you see the results of what it says about what it does to you in the amount of red thumbs. You probably have as many or more red thumbs than I have in 15 years.

Even I noticed the amount of red thumbs you been getting. These are just random red thumbs no one went out and said lets give the gooster a bunch of red thumbs. They have been well earned. How has that ...[text shortened]... I don't think you could find anyone with a bad word to say about HandyAndy. Can you say that?

-VR
    Unlike you I don’t care about thumbs; at least I don’t care enough to quickly delete one of my posts because it got a bunch of them.

As you hilariously did yesterday.

Sweet revelation
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 16:43
    @suzianne said
    I miss Andy too.

He has always been one of the more straight-up users on this site.

A compliment from him carries weight, IMO.
    An erudite and sharp witted poster. I hope he’s just on a break.
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    17 Sep '21 17:05
    Chess icon sues Netflix for Queen's Gambit portrayal
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58600453

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree