1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 13:03
    Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy Thanksgiving. Try not to kill any of the relatives if you have a get together it is only for a few hours. 😉

-VR
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 16:23
    @very-rusty said
    Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy Thanksgiving. Try not to kill any of the relatives if you have a get together it is only for a few hours. 😉

-VR
    Some of us give thanks that you're not one of our relatives.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 16:301 edit
    @handyandy said
    Some of us give thanks that you're not one of our relatives.
    Andy just speak for yourself and others can do the same. Too bad you can't tell me that in person, would be great to meet you and have a nice friendly discussion old nemesis. 😛 😉

Actually you don't have your Thanksgiving until next month you can give thanks then as I do today thinking about you! 😉

-VR
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 16:36
    @very-rusty said
    Andy just speak for yourself and others can do the same. Too bad you can't tell me that in person, would be great to meet you and have a nice friendly discussion old nemesis. 😛 😉

Actually you don't have your Thanksgiving until next month you can give thanks then as I do today thinking about you! 😉

-VR
    Thanks again.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 16:40
    @handyandy said
    Thanks again.
    No Problem.

-VR
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 21:18
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Canadians have Thanksgiving?

Stealing US holidays again, eh?
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 21:231 edit
    @whodey said
    Canadians have Thanksgiving?

Stealing US holidays again, eh?
    The event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in October 1621. This feast lasted three days, and—as accounted by attendee Edward Winslow—it was attended by 90 Native Americans and 53 Pilgrims.

The first European Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Newfoundland when English explorer Martin Frobisher landed there in 1578 in his quest for the Northwest Passage. ... In 1957, the second Monday of October was set as the consistent date for Thanksgiving Day in Canada.

It just took us a little while to make a constant date for it. 😉

According to history it Appears Canada had Thanksgiving Day first! 😉

-VR
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 22:331 edit
    Maybe it’s different in Canada to the the US, and apologies if it is, but I don’t I will ever understand what seems like the hypocrisy of celebrating the giving of thanks to people who’s land was stolen by your ancestors. Maybe I just don’t fully understand the whole concept of the celebration.
  9. Playing with matches
    Moves
    08 Oct '18 22:411 edit
    @divegeester said
    Maybe it’s different in Canada to the the US, and apologies if it is, but I don’t I will ever understand what seems like the hypocrisy of celebrating the giving of thanks to people who’s land was stolen by your ancestors. Maybe I just don’t fully understand the whole concept of the celebration.
    Canadian Thanksgiving just celebrates the start of the hockey season.

...and the distribution of small pox blankets to the idiginous population.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 00:371 edit
    @divegeester said
    The first Thanksgiving here (in the U.S.) was a Pilgrim harvest festival to thank God, not the Indians.

And my ancestors were still in Europe at the time. The Pilgrims were more likely your ancestors.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 13:161 edit
    @hand-of-hecate said
    Canadian Thanksgiving just celebrates the start of the hockey season.
    LOL....You been away too long! Hockey Season starts before thanksgiving! 😛

-VR
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 19:201 edit
    @handyandy said
    And my ancestors were still in Europe at the time. The Pilgrims were more likely your ancestors.
    Ooh sorry, didn’t mean to touch your soft spot.
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    09 Oct '18 20:461 edit
    So what are some of the Thanksgiving Day traditions in Canada.

I'm fairly certain that you're not being encouraged to eat a huge meal of turkey meat and then to go sleep it off in your local, neighborhood Wal-Mart parking lot. ("Black Friday" - some suckers are so stupid!)
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 01:15
    @divegeester said
    Ooh sorry, didn’t mean to touch your soft spot.
    You didn't touch any facts either. Hypocrisy in early New England was a hallmark of the British invaders.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 01:23
    @handyandy said
    The first Thanksgiving here (in the U.S.) was a Pilgrim harvest festival to thank God, not the Indians.

The natives did a much better job of looking after the Pilgrims than any god!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree