1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 02:02
    @wolfgang59 said
    The natives did a much better job of looking after the Pilgrims than any god!
    And the natives believed their own god was helping to keep the wheels turning.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 03:491 edit
    @very-rusty said
    The event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in October 1621. This feast lasted three days, and—as accounted by attendee Edward Winslow—it was attended by 90 Native Americans and 53 Pilgrims.

The first European Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Newfoundland ...[text shortened]... ant date for it. 😉

According to history it Appears Canada had Thanksgiving Day first! 😉

-VR
    Why thanks for the education.

After all, it's not like anyone really is taught this stuff. You either learn about American history if you are an American, or when you go to a liberal university you learn bout some African heritage. You know, cuz white people suck.

Yep, Canadians are just left out in the cold. They are just too white and never get into any wars and just mind their own business. No one seems to care about your history.

No worries, I may start a movement to begin educating people about your heritage. The most Americans have learned about Canada comes from Dudly Do Right.

Say, have you ever met Dudly?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 05:59
    @divegeester said
    Ooh sorry, didn’t mean to touch your soft spot.
    That’s what you said when you copped a feel on Bronwen and got slapped for your naughtiness, tiger.

Grown women don’t like eight-year-old boys grabbing their boobs, tiger. It’s naughty behavior, and I think the pub trollop who kneed you in the groin told you that.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 06:10
    @handyandy said
    You didn't touch any facts either. Hypocrisy in early New England was a hallmark of the British invaders.
    I think it’s at the very least an odd and probalby a slightly offensive contemporary celebration of thanks considering what happened to the native Americans.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 06:121 edit
    For clarification then who is the “thanks” being “given” to?

Thanks...
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 16:29
    @divegeester said
    For clarification then who is the “thanks” being “given” to?

Thanks...
    The Pilgrims were a deeply pious group... they were thanking God (the God they
    worshiped) for his generous bounty.

They were thankful for a successful harvest.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 16:37
    @divegeester said
    Maybe it’s different in Canada to the the US, and apologies if it is, but I don’t I will ever understand what seems like the hypocrisy of celebrating the giving of thanks to people who’s land was stolen by your ancestors. Maybe I just don’t fully understand the whole concept of the celebration.
    any and I mean any excuse for a party is ok in my books.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 17:00
    @handyandy said
    The Pilgrims were a deeply pious group... they were thanking God (the God they
    worshiped) for his generous bounty.

They were thankful for a successful harvest.
    Well if that's true then my use of "hypocritical" was indeed misplaced. Somehow I was under the impression that the "thanks" was being given to the natives. Hence my initial comment.

Apologies.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 18:37
    @wolfe63 said
    So what are some of the Thanksgiving Day traditions in Canada.

I'm fairly certain that you're not being encouraged to eat a huge meal of turkey meat and then to go sleep it off in your local, neighborhood Wal-Mart parking lot. ("Black Friday" - some suckers are so stupid!)
    We eat turkey and all the fixins (prepared, lovingly by "the women"😉 after which we (the men) retire to the man cave and fall asleep (all the Melatonin from the turkey) watching a CFL game while the women do the dishes.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 18:39
    @wolfgang59 said
    The natives did a much better job of looking after the Pilgrims than any god!
    That is a True Fact!!!

-VR
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 18:42
    @whodey said
    Why thanks for the education.

After all, it's not like anyone really is taught this stuff. You either learn about American history if you are an American, or when you go to a liberal university you learn bout some African heritage. You know, cuz white people suck.

Yep, Canadians are just left out in the cold. They are just too white and never get into any wars and jus ...[text shortened]... people about your heritage. The most Americans have learned about Canada comes from Dudly Do Right.
    Most Americans don't know ANYTHING about Canadian history and aren't interested. We know more about your history here in Canada that most Americans is my bet. 😛 😉
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 18:43
    @great-big-stees said
    We eat turkey and all the fixins (prepared, lovingly by "the women"😉 after which we (the men) retire to the man cave and fall asleep (all the Melatonin from the turkey) watching a CFL game while the women do the dishes.
    That is pretty much the truth for the most part of your statement. 😉

-VR
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 12:54
    @very-rusty said
    That is pretty much the truth for the most part of your statement. 😉

-VR
    When we men tried that at our home this Thanksgiving, the "women" had other ideas. Once we were done doing the dishes they did, however, let us watch the game. God luv 'em.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 12:59
    @great-big-stees said
    When we men tried that at our home this Thanksgiving, the "women" had other ideas. Once we were done doing the dishes they did, however, let us watch the game. God luv 'em.
    YOU did the dishes?...LOL...OK so did I! 😉

-VR
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 13:03
    @very-rusty said
    YOU did the dishes?...LOL...OK so did I! 😉

-VR
    We have an "understanding" in our home. Whoever cooks the meal the other does the dishes (those which are not put in the dishwasher of course).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree