1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 11:43
    Has the public expression of things like mourning, anger and victimhood become increasingly competitive?
  2. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 12:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    Has the public expression of things like mourning, anger and victimhood become increasingly competitive?
    Yes.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 13:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Most definitely.

Look out for the upcoming Grief World Cup.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 13:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    That sounds like something Hitler might ask. 😛
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 23:14
    It's almost getting to be a celebrity thing. Die in a terrorist attack or a school shooting and you'll get tributes, memorials, and lots of public outpourings of grief. Die because your parent went nuts and drove the family car into the sea and the same thing happens but on a smaller scale. Die because your teenage child went nuts and shot you and none of that will happen. It all started with Diana ...
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 01:562 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 02:13
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I know what you mean but I was more thinking along the lines of how some people in the public eye might nowadays sometimes consciously or unconsciously fear being seen as not grieving enough, not exhibiting enough outrage, not being seen as sufficiently angry and so on.

Did any journalists and celebrities - talking to each other on camera or in front of microphones recently - perhaps fib when asked "Did you cry when you heard that David had died?" when they answered "Yes"? Did they really all cry? Or was there some perceived risk in them answering "Actually, no, I didn't"? Was a fib necessary to keep their 'grieving credentials' intact?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 03:25
    drewnogal, I share your concerns and know that you will conquer them because you're a survivor with a focus on family and a keen sense of priority.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 03:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    drewnogal, I share your concerns and know that you will conquer them because you're a survivor with a focus on family and a keen sense of priority.
    Aside from perhaps inadvertently illustrating the kind of thing I am talking about, do you have anything on-topic to offer this thread?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 04:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Aside from perhaps inadvertently illustrating the kind of thing I am talking about, do you have anything on-topic to offer this thread?
    Yes. The prevalence of political manipulation and victimhood which have impregnated the media news replacing "grief & outrage" as individual private issues to be resolved. The dialectic has moved 180 degrees resulting in the abnormal becoming normal due to the emblematic motif of a herd mentality. imo
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 04:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yes. The prevalence of political manipulation and victimhood which have impregnated the media news replacing "grief & outrage" as individual private issues to be resolved. The dialectic has moved 180 degrees resulting in the abnormal becoming normal due to the emblematic motif of a herd mentality. imo
    Do you feel somehow in competition with others here over expressing sympathy in public for drewnogal and the rough patch she's going through?
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 06:201 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 06:42
    My brother in law, a pipe smoking, real ale sipping chat-about-anything-with-anybody conversationalist, and a well read, thoughtful, shrewd barrister (QC), got asked to stay away from his village pub after he said - out loud, in front of two or three other customers (who did not respond or react), one slow and sleepy weekday evening, about a week after the sad event - that he was uncomfortable and baffled by the intensity of the outpouring of public grief in the wake of Diana Spencer's death.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 18:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you feel somehow in competition with others here over expressing sympathy in public for drewnogal and the rough patch she's going through?
    No; never have and ever will.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 19:27
    I know. The Lard's influence on this forum can be overwhelming
    sometimes. Hang in there. He promised to unsubscribe and eventually
    leave us in peace.

Maybe this time it will be true. Oh wait...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree