1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Jan '16 22:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    My brother in law, a pipe smoking, real ale sipping chat-about-anything-with-anybody conversationalist, and a well read, thoughtful, shrewd barrister (QC), got asked to stay away from his village pub after he said - out loud, in front of two or three other customers (who did not respond or react), one slow and sleepy weekday evening, about a week after the sad e ...[text shortened]... baffled by the intensity of the outpouring of public grief in the wake of Diana Spencer's death.
    I'd like to buy your brother-in-law a pint!
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 01:41
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I know. The Lard's influence on this forum can be overwhelming
    sometimes. Hang in there. He promised to unsubscribe and eventually
    leave us in peace.

Maybe this time it will be true. Oh wait...
    Thread 166701 (Page 23)
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 02:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'd like to buy your brother-in-law a pint!
    You'd have to do it in the pub that has the sideline in Chinese takeaway food and not the one next to the village green.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 20:01
    I hate it when you have shows such as The X-Factor where the main part is the sob story and not the actual talent.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 22:23
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    I hate it when you have shows such as The X-Factor where the main part is the sob story and not the actual talent.
    Give me Strictly any day.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 22:59
    Originally posted by Startreader
    Give me Strictly any day.
    But sadly it gets in there as well occasionally. I'm waiting for the episode when "im dancing this dance in honor of my postman who sprained his ankle 3 weeks ago"
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 23:33
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    But sadly it gets in there as well occasionally. I'm waiting for the episode when "im dancing this dance in honor of my postman who sprained his ankle 3 weeks ago"
    LOL! Ah, but the sparkle of Strictly will defeat such cynicism every time! 🙂
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 05:221 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 10:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    One that trusts her man?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '16 14:25
    Grief is competitive.
    "Victimhood" is sensitive, as immigrant related violence in Scandinavia and Germany showed (they covered up sexual assaults!).
    Outrage is subjected to Political Corectness.

But grief is competitive indeed.
    There are professional obituary writers (as they are column-writers).
    Some times Death takes celebrities' lives as on assembly line, so we get impression it is something unusual.

Here comes competitiveness.
    On level 1, an ordinary man who happened to lose their dearest may feel underrated. Those deaths are so anonymous

On level 2, the recently died celebrities are in a secret silence race for First place.
    Who will be mourned more?!

And there is a sad gradation between the dead.
    A Grisley Adams actor passed away.
    He got the place No 3 after Bowie and Rickman.

About Rickman I wrote something on my blog - I loved his movies ("Close my eyes", "Judas Kis" "Snow Cake"😉.

But if I expressed my feelings about everyone who dies, I would to mysell look like a morbid obituary writer, who is keeping in advance prepared templates (and perhaps half.finished or finished obituaries for still living people) and who is enjoying dancing around others' graves.

Reveal Hidden Content
    When we mourn others, we express our own fear for ourselves, we mourn ourselves in the future.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 02:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    My brother in law, a pipe smoking, real ale sipping chat-about-anything-with-anybody conversationalist, and a well read, thoughtful, shrewd barrister (QC), got asked to stay away from his village pub after he said - out loud, in front of two or three other customers (who did not respond or react), one slow and sleepy weekday evening, about a week after the sad e ...[text shortened]... baffled by the intensity of the outpouring of public grief in the wake of Diana Spencer's death.
    Whatever our previous (and future) disagreements may have been (and might be), I feel your pain in this situation.

That scenario is without question, criminal and downright insidious.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 04:041 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Whatever our previous (and future) disagreements may have been (and might be), I feel your pain in this situation.

That scenario is without question, criminal and downright insidious.
    That you think that completely unrelated disagreements you've had with me on this message board need to be mentioned before you can express your distaste about what happened to one of my relatives says a lot about what a silly Mr Angry persona you've turned yourself into in the last few years.

My brother-in-law obviously thought 'good riddance' after discovering the true nature of his pub's landlord and the regulars he was trying to protect. And nor did I feel anything akin to "pain" about the episode.

If your petty reference to "previous disagreements" between us was a sidelong attempted apology for you being a caustic cyber-punch-throwing twit in the past, then I accept. 😉
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 04:051 edit
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Jan '16 14:31
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    ...some reamrkable thoughts...[hidden]When we mourn others, we express our own fear for ourselves, we mourn ourselves in the future.[/hidden]
    A well put Quote!
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 20:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    That you think that completely unrelated disagreements you've had with me on this message board need to be mentioned before you can express your distaste about what happened to one of my relatives says a lot about what a silly Mr Angry persona you've turned yourself into in the last few years.

My brother-in-law obviously thought 'good riddance' after discove ...[text shortened]... tempted apology for you being a caustic cyber-punch-throwing twit in the past, then I accept. 😉
    Yeah.
    So let's get back to those completely unrelated disagreements again.

Outside of your penchant for consistently being on the wrong side of the argument, one of the reasons you have become a persona non grata pariah of a poster in literally every forum you present your toxic bile is on exhibit in your response to my condolences.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree