1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Sep '21 22:47
    @very-rusty said
    No, that is fast.

I've slowed down a bit over the years, takes me a few tries now! 🙂

Give it a try, not as easy as you may think.

-VR
    They’re too fast for me. I’m better at rescuing worms on the pavement by picking them up with a twig and putting them in the grass.
  2. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    11 Sep '21 00:17
    @very-rusty said
    I use to catch flies out of the air and then let them go. Helped me with my speed, try it sometime. 🙂

-VR
    One time at the packing plant during the summer, every now and then we'd see a fly. The floor superintendent said "watch this"... He took his knife and SWISH... cut the fly in half in mid air. The lead cutter said, "That's nothing"... Took his knife and SWISH SWISH cut the fly into 4 pieces. I said, "You guys ain't nothin"... Took my knife and made a little SWISH... The fly buzzed away. They all said, "You missed." I said, "No, that fly will never reproduce."
  3. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '21 06:47
    @rookie54 said
    swatted a common housefly so hard that it disappeared completely?
    and you got to thinking how the speed of the swatter thru the time continuum may have changed the course of the galaxy a tad and then yer relieved because you find the dead fly in the butter dish?

whew
    i thought we were all screwed
    and you got to thinking how the speed of the swatter thru the time continuum may have changed the course of the galaxy-

There is a fine line between an active imagination and lunacy.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Sep '21 12:44
    @drewnogal said
    They’re too fast for me. I’m better at rescuing worms on the pavement by picking them up with a twig and putting them in the grass.
    People think no problem grabbing a fly out of the air until they actually give it a try. 🙂

-VR
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 09:08
    @very-rusty said
    People think no problem grabbing a fly out of the air until they actually give it a try. 🙂

-VR
    I wonder if they’ll become a protected species with reduction of certain birds being related to the decrease of flying insects? On a 2k plus mile drive to Scotland there was hardly a blood splat on my windscreen.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 11:34
    @gambrel said
    One time at the packing plant during the summer, every now and then we'd see a fly. The floor superintendent said "watch this"... He took his knife and SWISH... cut the fly in half in mid air. The lead cutter said, "That's nothing"... Took his knife and SWISH SWISH cut the fly into 4 pieces. I said, "You guys ain't nothin"... Took my knife and made a little SWISH... The fly buzzed away. They all said, "You missed." I said, "No, that fly will never reproduce."
    LOL....Funny story, even if there is any truth to it! 🙂

-VR
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 11:36
    @drewnogal said
    I wonder if they’ll become a protected species with reduction of certain birds being related to the decrease of flying insects? On a 2k plus mile drive to Scotland there was hardly a blood splat on my windscreen.
    The thing here is did you hit the fly or did the fly hit you? He/she may have been just flying around minding its own business when it got splattered everywhere by an unsuspected object. 😉

-VR
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 11:44
    @drewnogal said
    the midge capital of the world
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 11:51
    @badradger said
    the midge capital of the world
    The midge capital of the world?

-VR
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 12:06
    @very-rusty said
    The midge capital of the world?

-VR
    A midge is a small blood sucking flying insect smaller than a mosquito whose bites can become infected...they are mosly found in northern england a scotland.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 12:08
    @badradger said
    A midge is a small blood sucking flying insect smaller than a mosquito whose bites can become infected...they are mosly found in northern england a scotland.
    Probably why I am not familiar with them. Sound like pest little pests!

-VR
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 13:12
    @very-rusty said
    Probably why I am not familiar with them. Sound like pest little pests!

-VR
    The amount splatted on our windscreens are a good measure of how healthy the flying insect population are. This year our blue-tits failed to breed as well due to them not finding enough caterpillars to feed their young.
  13. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 13:42
    @drewnogal said
    The amount splatted on our windscreens are a good measure of how healthy the flying insect population are. This year our blue-tits failed to breed as well due to them not finding enough caterpillars to feed their young.
    It can also be a measure of how often you top up the windscreen cleaning fluid in some instances. You have to test how long the midges have been stuck there using carbon dating.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 14:20
    @relentless-red said
    It can also be a measure of how often you top up the windscreen cleaning fluid in some instances. You have to test how long the midges have been stuck there using carbon dating.
    That requires further explanation for my tiny mind please.
  15. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    12 Sep '21 14:28
    @drewnogal said
    That requires further explanation for my tiny mind please.
    Ha, somehow I doubt your mind is tiny. I shall have to just do better jokes. 😳

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree