1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 16:59
    On another thread, a particularly persistent poster perpetually pesters, pleading my response to the question: how far is the moon from the earth?

For my response, I will defer to the eminently-more-qualified experts at NASA and more specifically, to their outstanding presentation of the moon juxtaposing that oblate spheroid, our home sweet home, earth... taken from 1,000,000 miles away!

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth

Now, the answer is crystal clear.
    How far is the moon from earth?
    Pretty effing close.

In light of this stellar demonstration, a question bubbles up from the depths.
    If a cat were standing on the moon and, bored and indifferent, gazed up into the sky motivated by nothing more than curiosity, how large of a presence would the earth represent in that sky above the cat on the moon?

Things that make you go: "Meeeowwww!"
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:02
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Things that make you go: "Meeeowwww!"
    testosterone...
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:05
    Originally posted by rookie54
    testosterone...
    The essence, sexually, that orgasm-inducing stuff that every red-blooded organism needs... everyday.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:13
    I have so much testosterone that I can do gay stuff and still distill masculinity.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:24
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I have so much testosterone that I can do gay stuff and still distill masculinity.
    I've always wanted to open a distillery.
    Maybe we go halvsies?
    We can call it Manly Butt Stuff.
    Or Flat Earth, Flat Moon.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:49
    And you know that from experience.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:57
    On another thread, a particularly persistent poster perpetually pesters, pleading my response to the question: [b]how far is the moon from the earth?

For my response, I will defer to the eminently-more-qualified experts at NASA and more specifically, to their outstanding presentation of the moon juxtaposing that oblate spheroid, our home sweet home, ...[text shortened]... represent in that sky above the cat on the moon?

Things that make you go: "Meeeowwww!"[/b]
    THAT is your evidence as to how far away the moon is from Earth? What causes you to think that? Did you do a geometric analysis on the angles of the space craft being 1 million miles out and make a triangle that would touch the outer circles of both planets?

Just how do you expect to get distance measurements when the two bodies are almost lined up? If the angle was 90 degrees from the one shown with moon on right and Earth on right you could do a distance measure easily.

Also, since you are the doubter of NASA, it is up to YOU to prove altered images AND the motivation for that.

I already told you why there are no long term video's of astronauts on ISS due to changes in data stations around the globe and the fact that no communication system is 100% reliable.

But that is never enough for you so it is up to you to provide the proof you so desperately want.

So how far is the moon? Pretty frigging close is not an answer. It IS pretty frigging close compared to Mars but Earth? It is a quarter million miles away.

How many miles away is it in your fantasy world?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 17:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And you know that from experience.
    Is there some kind of disconnect that makes you repeat what others have already said?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 18:19
    THAT is your evidence as to how far away the moon is from Earth? What causes you to think that? Did you do a geometric analysis on the angles of the space craft being 1 million miles out and make a triangle that would touch the outer circles of both planets?

Just how do you expect to get distance measurements when the two bodies are almost lined up? If ...[text shortened]... t Earth? It is a quarter million miles away.

How many miles away is it in your fantasy world?
    Dearest Numbnutted Time Traveler:
    Prior to going off on a reciprocal rage, please observe the initial post and the link thereof.
    Thank you,
    The Management
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '16 18:33
    Dearest Numbnutted Time Traveler:
    Prior to going off on a reciprocal rage, please observe the initial post and the link thereof.
    Thank you,
    The Management
    So how far is the moon?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 18:36
    So how far is the moon?
    Did you look at the link?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '16 20:26
    On another thread, a particularly persistent poster perpetually pesters, pleading my response to the question: [b]how far is the moon from the earth?

"[/b]
    You must be a magician to calculate the Earth-moon distance based on those pics.
    You certainly cannot do it with trig.

You would need
    i) the diameter of Earth
    ii) diameter of Moon
    iii) distance from camera to either object
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 May '16 20:30
    Is there some kind of disconnect that makes you repeat what others have already said?
    He's drooling out of sheer, uncontrollable temptation.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 20:42
    He's drooling out of sheer, uncontrollable temptation.
    Stupid me: I figured it was unseasonably rainy.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 May '16 20:56
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You must be a magician to calculate the Earth-moon distance based on those pics.
    You certainly cannot do it with trig.

You would need
    i) the diameter of Earth
    ii) diameter of Moon
    iii) distance from camera to either object
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were just randomly posting without a second thought given to the content of that to which you reply.
    But that thought can be eliminated on the basis of these more recent threads and posts, as they stand testament to the meticulous amount of dedication you and others arguing from the objection stand-point have given to both detail and staying on point.
    Ha-ha, lol, jk, ai.

The purpose of this thread wasn't REALLY to ascertain the distance, moon to earth, silly
    It was intended, instead, to provide the otherwise convinced masses (I know you're out there, I can hear you breathing) how patently absurd the government agency known as NASA has become.
    Rod Sterling: Imagine if you will a cat on the dark earth-facing side of the moon.
    Bored as a cat could ever be, he looks skyward for a small distraction.
    What yonder planet might he see?
    How massive could said planet be?
    These are questions which can only be answered in...
    The Twilight Zone.

But let's set that aside momentarily
    You have the reported radius of both earth and its gravity-locked pardner, Da Moon.
    You have the distance of the view.
    Besides a solar-powered calculator, whatchewtalkinboutwillis?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree