1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 15:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You need to define your objective a bit better. For instance you can drop the scoff act, it doesn't fly here. One thing I didn't notice till I read it fully, it was not taken a million miles away in space. I can only guess for you 1 million is the same as 2 million and so forth. The craft was not 1 million miles away, it was THIRTY ONE million miles away, ...[text shortened]...

Oh I forgot, you don't know what time domain laser reflectometry is either. Too bad for you.
    One thing I didn't notice till I read it fully, it was not taken a million miles away in space. I can only guess for you 1 million is the same as 2 million and so forth. The craft was not 1 million miles away, it was THIRTY ONE million miles away, something you would have perhaps noticed if you had read the full article.
    Those crazy pranksters at NASA!
    Makes you wonder why they titled the page:
    "From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth"
    And they kept the fun going by describing just how the animation became available:
    "The images were captured by NASA’s Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC), a four megapixel CCD camera and telescope on the DSCOVR satellite orbiting 1 million miles from Earth." [emboldened from yours truly]

Then, just to put a cherry on top of the shenanigans and really get everyone laughing, they buried this little nugget several paragraphs in--- you know: just to throw some folks off who otherwise weren't paying the slightest attention:
    "In May 2008 NASA’s Deep Impact spacecraft captured a similar view of Earth and the moon from a distance of 31 million miles away."[more embolden work in the service of truth]

Google perspective, you probably don't know much about that either.
    On your advice, I Googled perspective.
    It said to consult you.
    So, here's my perspective question:
    In this animation of the moon passing between the sun and the earth from a million miles away, if Mr. Kitty looked up in the moon's sky, how much would the earth dominate his feline gaze?
    Thanks in advance for your timely response which is limited to only that question.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 16:59
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]One thing I didn't notice till I read it fully, it was not taken a million miles away in space. I can only guess for you 1 million is the same as 2 million and so forth. The craft was not 1 million miles away, it was THIRTY ONE million miles away, something you would have perhaps noticed if you had read the full article.
    Those crazy pranksters at N ...[text shortened]... ne gaze?[/b]
    Thanks in advance for your timely response which is limited to only that question.[/b]
    So you don't like my answers, which is on you not me. You want me to say, like the Viet Cong did to American prisoners of war, sign this paper denouncing the US and you can go free.

That is just about what you are about. You don't want a real answer, you want an answer that you like and if I don't provide that, too bad for me.

That is not how science works, although it is a stretch to even call what you are after by the term 'science'.

You want vindication and validation for your POV and you are not going to get it from me.

So tell me why Earth's magnetic field is the same strength in the north as it is in the south, something that cannot happen with a flat Earth because the field lines have to go somewhere and that somewhere on a flat Earth would be the edges like going to the edge of a pancake. So the field lines would be concentrated in the north and way weaker at those edges.

Is that too tough for you to visualize?

BTW, this is MY argument, I did not have to google or cut and paste from anywhere because this argument has never been put forward to the flat earth people.

It is in fact a valid argument and I would love to see you and your flatassbuddies to squirm trying to get around that one, desperately trying to find a rationale that would have a magnetic field we KNOW is strongest at both north and south pole.

Good luck figuring that one out. BTW, I am not stooping to name calling if maybe noticed.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 17:19
    So you don't like my answers, which is on you not me. You want me to say, like the Viet Cong did to American prisoners of war, sign this paper denouncing the US and you can go free.

That is just about what you are about. You don't want a real answer, you want an answer that you like and if I don't provide that, too bad for me.

That is not how science ...[text shortened]... le.

Good luck figuring that one out. BTW, I am not stooping to name calling if maybe noticed.
    So you don't like my answers, which is on you not me.
    I think your answers are incredibly precious, actually.
    They underscore exactly the issue with the topic: one side knows beyond knowing, beyond explaining that their perspective is the only one possible and this knowledge keeps them from hearing anything the other side says.
    Case in point, you.
    You go off on tangents completely off-topic, literally blathering at times, the entire time getting the whole thing wrong.
    For instance, the OP is, despite your insistence otherwise, a link to a NASA website which claims to be an animation of the moon passing between the earth and the sun... from a million miles away.
    This is not me just making chit up, or running to my Super Secret Flat Earth Club to get more half-baked ammunition.
    Anyone can verify what the website says about itself, and that same anyone will see it as I've described it.
    This is decidedly and emphatically NOT an animation from 30 million miles away as you claim you found out after more careful reading.
    But as bad as your blunder was, that's not the only one.
    You STILL refuse to answer the question raised in the OP, instead blathering on about something entirely unrelated.

The other side asks questions.
    Simple, easy to answer questions.
    Case in point, me.

You want me to say, like the Viet Cong did to American prisoners of war, sign this paper denouncing the US and you can go free.
    You can go free any time you wish, sonhouse.
    I think I've tortured you enough.

You want vindication and validation for your POV and you are not going to get it from me.
    I didn't say what my POV was for this awesome animation from a million miles away.
    I only asked a question related to the animation:
    If Mr. Kitty were sitting on the dark, earth-facing side of this moon, with zero atmosphere around him and his little catstronaut suit, gazing upward, how much of the sky above him would the earth cover?
    You're the expert on perspective, I your humble student.
    Learn me, ObiWan.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 17:34
    [b]So you don't like my answers, which is on you not me.
    I think your answers are incredibly precious, actually.
    They underscore exactly the issue with the topic: one side knows beyond knowing, beyond explaining that their perspective is the only one possible and this knowledge keeps them from hearing anything the other side says.
    Case in point, you ...[text shortened]... arth cover?[/i][/b]
    You're the expert on perspective, I your humble student.
    Learn me, ObiWan.[/b]
    Earth seen from the moon covers just about 2 degrees, 1 part in 188 of a circle using the distance to the moon as radius. It took me about 20 seconds to figure that one out.

Of course you can't accept that answer which is also on you not me.

360 degrees in a circle means you can slice the circle in to pie shaped wedges 360 equal slices apart, and if you slice the circle into 180 slices, each slice gets 2 degrees of that pie.

Is there something so esoteric about that you can't figure out? Do I need to draw a diagram to show you? Can you just use your own visualization powers to understand this extremely difficult concept? A radius is the distance from the edge of a circle to the center. So I use that radius to be the distance to the moon. Got me so far?

Double that and you have the diameter of a grand circle with the moon in the center and Earth at the edge. Still with me?

To get the full circumference you multiply the diameter times Pi, about 3.14, so 480,000 miles is a circle 1.5 million miles in circumference. Still with me with these almost impossible to understand concepts?

So we now have a circle 1.5 million miles around. Earth is at the edge of that circle. Earth is about 8000 miles in diameter. So divide 1.5 million by 8000. Come on, you can do it, maybe it takes a trip to Mathematica software but you can do it all by yourself I think anyway. No? Well it comes out to Earth occupying 188 parts in that 1.5 million mile circle. Or 2 degrees.

Are you still lost? If so, I can't do much more here except draw it out so a 5 year old can see it but I can't send images here so you will have to do with those pesky words.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 17:37
    Earth seen from the moon covers just about 2 degrees, 1 part in 188 of a circle using the distance to the moon as radius. It took me about 20 seconds to figure that one out.

Of course you can't accept that answer which is also on you not me.

360 degrees in a circle means you can slice the circle in to pie shaped wedges 360 equal slices apart, and if ...[text shortened]... year old can see it but I can't send images here so you will have to do with those pesky words.
    I made it so you don't have to draw any diagrams: I posted a link from NASA from one million miles away which shows the moon passing between the sun and the earth.
    Using the animation provided by the government agency known as NASA, can you tell me how much of the sky Mr. Kitty would see covered by the earth?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 17:461 edit
    I made it so you don't have to draw any diagrams: I posted a link from NASA from [b]one million miles away which shows the moon passing between the sun and the earth.
    Using the animation provided by the government agency known as NASA, can you tell me how much of the sky Mr. Kitty would see covered by the earth?[/b]
    So once again, I answered the question fully and explained my method in great detail, but you apparently didn't even read it. What part of Earth taking up 2 degrees as viewed from the moon do you not understand?

I know you need a Phd to suss all this stuff out but try real hard, even you can do it.

I don't need that image posted to tell you how much of the sky Earth would cover, that photo is totally irrelevant to your question.

What you really want is vindication of your buddy's flatasss fantasy and you are NEVER going to get that from me since I know full well it is just so much bullshyte.

I can't really believe you are so dense you can't even accept simple explanations like I just gave you.

If you think Earth DOESN"T cover 2 degrees, why don't you just say so and give ME a refutation involving actual math? I assume you want me to agree with your flatass bullshyte and say Earth covers 30 degrees of the sky from the POV of someone on Luna but that will never happen. I KNOW how big Earth is from the moon because I can do actual arithmetic. Something foreign to you no doubt. If I am mistaken, let me hear your story, in NUMBERS not bullshyte words.

So how far is the moon? A simple enough question, it bears directly on my analysis of how big Earth would look in the Lunar sky.

According your your flatasss bullshyte, the sun (and it is obvious YOU didn't come up with any of the crap on your own, you read about it and got sucked into it)
    is what, a thousand miles up rotating above the flat Earth so we see time zones.

So we know the moon comes between the sun and Earth at times so that implies the moon would be closer to Earth then your bullshyte sun distance.

So you can self justify all your paranoia as the entire world being wrong, 300 years of solid scientific research ALL bullshyte in your eyes since only YOU and your flatasss buddies know the REAL truth.

Does that about cover your stance?

You still have yet to provide me with ANYTHING about Earth's magnetic field. For instance do you even know what causes northern and southern lights?

You can answer that one can't you? It doesn't interfere too much with your flatasssness does it?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 17:48
    So once again, I answered the question fully and explained my method in great detail, but you apparently didn't even read it. What part of Earth taking up 2 degrees as viewed from the moon do you not understand?

I know you need a Phd to suss all this stuff out but try real hard, even you can do it.
    What part of using the animation provided by NASA do you not understand?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 17:58
    What part of using the animation provided by NASA do you not understand?
    I don't give a shyte if it was an animation or not. YOU asked ME what the POV of someone on the moon would be looking at Earth, how much of the sky Earth would cover. I said 2 degrees. Do you not agree with that? If not, show me YOUR analysis then. Don't worry, I won't steel it from you and make a million bucks on it, I am actually interested in truth and if you have something solid other than your bullshyte words, lets see them.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 18:061 edit
    I don't give a shyte if it was an animation or not. YOU asked ME what the POV of someone on the moon would be looking at Earth, how much of the sky Earth would cover. I said 2 degrees. Do you not agree with that? If not, show me YOUR analysis then. Don't worry, I won't steel it from you and make a million bucks on it, I am actually interested in truth and if you have something solid other than your bullshyte words, lets see them.
    For the last time:

LOOK AT THE ANIMATION AND THEN ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Stop answering the question using the given numbers and answer it from the animation shown.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 18:24
    For the last time:

[b]LOOK AT THE ANIMATION AND THEN ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Stop answering the question using the given numbers and answer it from the animation shown.[/b]
    Really? REALLY for the last time? I should answer a question based on what you think is an animation and that where the two bodies are shown one in front of the other?

Also for the last time, it is impossible for anyone not using laser time domain reflectometry to figure those numbers out.

AND I COULD GIVE A SHYTE LESS IF YOU DON"T LIKE THAT ANSWER.

If the images were at 90 degrees from one another and you knew the distances you can figure the angle of coverage. That image is where the bodies are all lined up and I am not the only one pointing that out. Someone else also posted the same thing, the impossibility of figuring anything out other than the fact one looks 1/4th the size of the other.

So drop the subterfuge and just tell us what you already 'know' about how far Luna is from Earth.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 19:03
    Really? REALLY for the last time? I should answer a question based on what you think is an animation and that where the two bodies are shown one in front of the other?

Also for the last time, it is impossible for anyone not using laser time domain reflectometry to figure those numbers out.

AND I COULD GIVE A SHYTE LESS IF YOU DON"T LIKE THAT ANSWER. ...[text shortened]... o drop the subterfuge and just tell us what you already 'know' about how far Luna is from Earth.
    We already have the numbers, numbnuts.
    Give the earth a 12,742 km diameter.
    Call the moon 3,474 km diameter.
    So the moon is roughly 27% of the earth's diameter.
    That's not exactly what we see in the animation, though, is it?
    Because the moon is closer to the camera, we would expect to see it appear as greater than 27% of the earth's diameter, but instead it appears was though it is smaller.
    As small as one sixth to possibly one eighth of the diameter of the earth, by my measurement.
    That being said, even without this phony animation, if a planet was only three times the size, it would appear as three times bigger.
    The moon is three times smaller than the earth and only covers a certain amount of the sky.
    Conversely, when viewed from the moon the earth should appear three times bigger than the moon's size when viewed in the earth's sky--- remember: it's the same distance there as it is back.

But what this animation does it show how absurd NASA has become with its productions.
    The earth of that animation in the moon's sky of that animation would completely dominate the entire sky: poor Mr. Kitty wouldn't be able to see anything but the Big Blue Marble and its Photoshopped cloud formation and widely varying land masses (assuming he'd seen some of the shots NASA has produced over the years for comparison, of course).
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 19:14
    We already have the numbers, numbnuts.
    Give the earth a 12,742 km diameter.
    Call the moon 3,474 km diameter.
    So the moon is roughly 27% of the earth's diameter.
    That's not exactly what we see in the animation, though, is it?
    Because the moon is closer to the camera, we would expect to see it appear as greater than 27% of the earth's diameter, but inst ...[text shortened]... ssuming he'd seen some of the shots NASA has produced over the years for comparison, of course).
    Why don't you get real? You take one image from and built a whole fantasy on that one series. So did you do an analysis on that image, I already said the moon is about 1/3rd of the diameter of Earth and that perspective shown is due to telescopic imaging and if you can't get that then take a class in photography and telephotos and telescopes.

I am not going answer your bullshyte paranoia, you do the math if you think it's wrong.

This is my last post, you are obviously going in circles unable or unwilling to respond to my objections to your POV.

You obviously are going to continue to ignore my POV so that is that. Goodbye and choke on your paranoia.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 19:17
    Why don't you get real? You take one image from and built a whole fantasy on that one series. So did you do an analysis on that image, I already said the moon is about 1/3rd of the diameter of Earth and that perspective shown is due to telescopic imaging and if you can't get that then take a class in photography and telephotos and telescopes.

I am not go ...[text shortened]... usly are going to continue to ignore my POV so that is that. Goodbye and choke on your paranoia.
    ...choke on your paranoia.
    Who told you to say that?
    Tell them I'm not afraid of their tactics and I'm not backing down!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 19:221 edit
    [b]...choke on your paranoia.
    Who told you to say that?
    Tell them I'm not afraid of their tactics and I'm not backing down![/b]
    Not backing down and not doing anything to further your cause except stupid, TRULY stupid words, more words and then more words. ZERO math. ZERO independent analysis of anything. You no doubt didn't even bother to look at the near earth ground stations I put up links for since you already 'know" everything NASA, ESA, the Russians, the Chinese, the Brazilians all those space faring nations lie through their teeth so nothing they put out can be real can it.

You are poster boy for paranoia. The truly sad part is you don't even know it.

BTW, I did something clearly you did not about that 'million mile image'.

There is a still of one of those images on that site and just took a metric ruler and measured it by hand, ruler on the screen. It doesn't matter what the actual size is, I am going for the ratio of sizes. I measured about 78 mm for Earth and 27 mm for Luna. That works out to about 2.8 to one. That makes the moon about 35% of the diameter of Earth, only about 7 percent off from your figure.

Imagine that. Just a bit of work with a ruler and figured out the ratio using my admittedly dim witted brain.

Why don't you try the same thing? Oh wait, I forgot, they lie so much that image is fake so we can't rely on those images to make measurements now can we.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 May '16 20:30
    For the last time:

[b]LOOK AT THE ANIMATION AND THEN ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Stop answering the question using the given numbers and answer it from the animation shown.[/b]
    WTF are you on about? Do you think science is done from a cartoon? Really?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree