1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 May '16 06:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey, that only happened once๐Ÿ™‚
    Never fancied seconds? Bus stations are trashier but easier to navigate ๐Ÿ˜›
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 May '16 06:27
    Originally posted by josephw
    At least you know the difference between right and wrong.
    How do you know?

Some of us have a moral compass that mimics a Caribbean brothel ceiling ventilator, buddy.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 May '16 06:30
    Here is an interesting quote attributed to Aristotle, born in 384 BC:

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    He didn't say that.

Everybody knows Aristotle said

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a
    sloth without losing it.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 09:22
    Originally posted by Seitse
    He didn't say that.

Everybody knows Aristotle said

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a
    sloth without losing it.
    Yeah, right.
    Sloths weren't invented until much, much later than 349 BC.
    I think it was around 4,000 BC.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 May '16 09:491 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Yeah, right.
    Sloths weren't invented until much, much later than 349 BC.
    I think it was around 4,000 BC.
    I still insist that you MUST be pulling our collective leg with all this and the Flat-Earth thread. No one is that stupid.

You know that 4000 BCE is earlier than 349 BCE, but you include this just to get someone to post about it so you can enjoy reading about someone raging about it. This is what trolls do. Enough said.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 12:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I still insist that you MUST be pulling our collective leg with all this and the Flat-Earth thread. No one is that stupid.

You know that 4000 BCE is earlier than 349 BCE, but you include this just to get someone to post about it so you can enjoy reading about someone raging about it. This is what trolls do. Enough said.
    I'll be gentle, what with your mind being blown and all.
    Unequivocally and without reservation, I contend my fervent and emphatic conviction that the shape of the earth is not as presented by the government space agencies.
    Flat is likely the best description, all things considered, but I'm not fully convinced that we can accurately describe the earth's shape, except in the negative.
    Although my conclusion is based on nearly two years of study and research, I find two questions succinctly encapsulate foundational issues which, when answered, either shut the door on the question of the earth's shape... or open up an entire new line of inquiry.
    The beauty of the questions lies in their simplicity: anyone in possession of the mental capacity of a fifth grader or above is able to answer both questions with a modicum of effort.
    The first requires basic math ability while the second calls for an ability to navigate the internet.
    If I am trolling, as you insist, putting the questions to bed is child's play.
    Literally as simple as filling in a blank.

For the math problem, it has been established that, indeed, objects which would otherwise be below the horizon for a distant observer are clearly visible... so we know that math is correct.
    Following several objections wherein counter examples were offered as proof of curvature, I don't believe there are any left who deny the math supports a problem with curvature.
    As a possible remedy, a few offered refraction of light, or more specifically, looming.
    So math enters the discussion again.
    If it's a reality in the physical world, we ought to be able to quantify it with numbers, predict outcomes with the application of appropriate formulas.
    Anything less objective is the equivalent of the creationist's 'and then a miracle happened' or the evolutionist's 'meteor and/or planetary pinball-inspired bio-genesis.'
    As of this writing, no one has come forth with a formula for looming, nor even described the conditions necessary for such an occurrence.
    That's not trolling: that's a failure to launch.

The second question is ridiculously, nearly trivially simple to answer: provide a picture produced by NASA which depicts the earth, with one caveat... no alterations, no CGI.
    As with the first question, no one has been able to find a single picture.
    Plenty of images exist, yet all are altered, Photoshop or otherwise.
    Another failure to launch.

So, is that trolling?
    Is that stupidity?
    If it helps you sleep at night, call it whatever you need.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 12:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 12:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Out of curiosity, did you open the link?
    If so, what do you think that silly kitty would see relative to the size of the earth in the moon's "sky?"
    If not, why not?
    It's from NASA, so you should be safe.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 13:00
    I'll be gentle, what with your mind being blown and all.
    Unequivocally and without reservation, I contend my fervent and emphatic conviction that the shape of the earth is not as presented by the government space agencies.
    Flat is likely the best description, all things considered, but I'm not fully convinced that we can accurately describe the earth's ...[text shortened]... s that trolling?
    Is that stupidity?
    If it helps you sleep at night, call it whatever you need.
    Show us your digital analysis done by a professional digital guru. That can't be all that hard, you must have the evidence ready to go.

I also know full well no matter the evidence we provide to show you how wrong you are, you are coming from a religious POV and thus not able to reason about it any more, and you will just reject any evidence or POV of anyone else.

You are unable to answer my question about the magnetic field of Earth, why is it the north and south pole have equal field intensity.

You are unable even to process my own analysis of what size the moon would appear from 3/4 million miles away, you scoff, you accuse me of copy and paste some other dude's work when in fact it is my own idea on how to calculate the size of a body at X distance, just knowing the diameter of the body and the distance.

You cannot imagine people here have actual intelligence and can think independently
    and all you have to offer is more scoffing with no backup.

Slow clap indeed.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 13:04
    Show us your digital analysis done by a professional digital guru. That can't be all that hard, you must have the evidence ready to go.

I also know full well no matter the evidence we provide to show you how wrong you are, you are coming from a religious POV and thus not able to reason about it any more, and you will just reject any evidence or POV of an ...[text shortened]... k independently
    and all you have to offer is more scoffing with no backup.

Slow clap indeed.
    Did you open the link?
    It's from NASA, so, as stated, you should be safe.
    These aren't my animations: they're from a respected, reliable government agency.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 13:20
    Did you open the link?
    It's from NASA, so, as stated, you should be safe.
    These aren't my animations: they're from a respected, reliable government agency.
    Are you talking about the one taken from a million miles away from Earth? The one showing the moon going in front of Earth?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 13:28
    Are you talking about the one taken from a million miles away from Earth? The one showing the moon going in front of Earth?
    Not sure.
    What is the OP, anyway?
    Are we on that thread?
    Is today right now, or does that happen tomorrow?
    Am I typing this or are you?
    I'm so confused.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 13:311 edit
    Not sure.
    What is the OP, anyway?
    Are we on that thread?
    Is today right now, or does that happen tomorrow?
    Am I typing this or are you?
    I'm so confused.
    So, just more scoffery, it figures, you don't really want a dialog, you just are a preacher standing on a soapbox saying NASA IS FAKE NASA IS FAKE and any words by anyone else with a different POV is just crazy or part of the vast conspiracy.

So how far is the moon?

Why is the magnetic field of Earth the same strength in the north as in the south?

Surely a man of your vast educational achievements can answer those two simple questions.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '16 13:441 edit
    So, just more scoffery, it figures, you don't really want a dialog, you just are a preacher standing on a soapbox saying NASA IS FAKE NASA IS FAKE and any words by anyone else with a different POV is just crazy or part of the vast conspiracy.

So how far is the moon?

Why is the magnetic field of Earth the same strength in the north as in the south?

Surely a man of your vast educational achievements can answer those two simple questions.
    I'll gladly answer your questions when you finally answer mine.
    Surely a man of your vast educational achievements can answer these two questions.

But let's set the two questions aside, since you have no intention of addressing either one beyond sticking your fingers in your ears.

Let's just have you answer ONE question, totally related to the thread we are in right now.
    How big would the earth appear to Mr. Kitty in the animation found in the opening post?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '16 14:091 edit
    I'll gladly answer your questions when you finally answer mine.
    Surely a man of your vast educational achievements can answer these two questions.

But let's set the two questions aside, since you have no intention of addressing either one beyond sticking your fingers in your ears.

Let's just have you answer ONE question, totally related to the th ...[text shortened]...
    [b]How big would the earth appear to Mr. Kitty in the animation found in the opening post?
    [/b]
    You need to define your objective a bit better. For instance you can drop the scoff act, it doesn't fly here. One thing I didn't notice till I read it fully, it was not taken a million miles away in space. I can only guess for you 1 million is the same as 2 million and so forth. The craft was not 1 million miles away, it was THIRTY ONE million miles away, something you would have perhaps noticed if you had read the full article.

I made the stupid mistake of just going with your bogus numbers and now I see the size of the image would be a LOT smaller if viewed by naked eyes, you might not even SEE the moon from that far away.

You also cannot process what is going on in the spacecraft that gave those images. It has a good telescope onboard but high magnification means longer times to capture an image, something you would know if you ever bothered to study optics.

So they don't have 30 frame per second imaging like a camcorder, it is once a minute or some such so they can't make a nice movie like you seem to want.

You don't understand the first thing about optics so I am not the one to educate you on simple telescopes and the limitations they run under.

So you are just back to scoffing. The numbers I ran was going with your million mile mark. From 31 million miles the true size of the moon Vs would be clearly shown in the image since perspective would be pretty much gone from such an image at such a huge distance.

Google perspective, you probably don't know much about that either.

From that image there is no way to calculate how far the moon is from Earth, only that the relative size is accurate. 8000 odd miles, diameter of Earth V about 2100 miles for the moon, about 1/4th the size of Earth. That is ALL you can say about that image without some very sophisticated time domain laser reflectometery which that space probe clearly does not have.

Oh I forgot, you don't know what time domain laser reflectometry is either. Too bad for you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree