If I had a time machine...

If I had a time machine...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Dec 12

If you had a time machine, and wanted to make our world better, what would you do?

Readers are encouraged to shoot down the wishes. For example, killing Hitler when he was not yet empowered may result in USA not becoming a super-power (we'd miss out on owning those awesome scientists that gave US the a-bomb).

Good clean fun.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
10 Dec 12

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Dec 12

I'd keep the Alexandria library from burning down.

(thx sonhouse)

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU8TbLza3qY
I remember thinking, a long time ago, that Peabody needed kicked in the nuts. Some time later I thought the same about Sherlock Holmes. Thx for the memories!

Australia

Moves
10 Dec 12
2 edits

I'd grant complete religious freedom to all the world's populations - in 1700, or even earlier.

t

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by apathist
If you had a time machine, and wanted to make our world better, what would you do?

Readers are encouraged to shoot down the wishes. For example, killing Hitler when he was not yet empowered may result in USA not becoming a super-power (we'd miss out on owning those awesome scientists that gave US the a-bomb).

Good clean fun.
The US was arlready a super power. There is a reason we've never been invaded (minus pearl harbour which was a massive blunder by the japs) and thats because it would be a strategical nightmare to attempt such a thing... You would have to invade Canada or get them in bed with you to come in from the North but that would never happen and if it did would be impossible to conceal any such dealings which would allow the US to launch a preemptive strike. It just wouldn't be pretty... ask the Brits how they fared with their massively overwhelming units and better training!

t

Moves
10 Dec 12

Besides that.. I'd probably go back and abolish Christianity and Islam and destroy any records of these religions ever existing.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
I'd grant complete religious freedom to all the world's populations - in 1700, or even earlier.
How? By saying so?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
The US was arlready a super power. There is a reason we've never been invaded (minus pearl harbour which was a massive blunder by the japs) and thats because it would be a strategical nightmare to attempt such a thing... You would have to invade Canada or get them in bed with you to come in from the North but that would never happen and if it did would be ...[text shortened]... y... ask the Brits how they fared with their massively overwhelming units and better training!
The rise of the first two two superpowers, Russia and the United States, can be
traced to World War II. To be a superpower, a nation needs
to have a strong economy, an overpowering military, immense
international political power and, related to this, a
strong national ideology. It was this war, and its results,
that caused each of these superpowers to experience such a
preponderance of power. Before the war, both nations were
fit to be described as great powers, but it would be
erroneous to say that they were superpowers at that point.

That is slightly paraphrased from studyworld. The US was lucky to occupy a country full of untapped resources just when the industrial revolution took place - that is what made us great. We tried to stay out of WWII, but Hitler forced us to escalate, and Japan woke the sleeping dragon. From Hitler we managed to steal the atomic bomb, and we became super. We were lucky - if there were no Hitler, if they didn't force us to steal their to scientists, Germany would still be on the fast track to becoming the first nation with nuclear power. The world's first super-power.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
Besides that.. I'd probably go back and abolish Christianity and Islam and destroy any records of these religions ever existing.
How? By saying so?

Australia

Moves
11 Dec 12
1 edit

The religious freedom - or abolition - could occur through something like the Black Death triggering a superstitious reaction to either particular religions or to a complete rejection of all religions. The population could interpret any really widespread natural disaster to mean a warning from their god or gods, indicating that humanity must do X or Y. Perhaps it would be better to go back to the era of the Crusades to have this major event occur.

rc

Moves
11 Dec 12

The religious freedom - or abolition - could occur through something like the Black Death triggering a superstitious reaction to either particular religions or to a complete rejection of all religions. The population could interpret any really widespread natural disaster to mean a warning from their god or gods, indicating that humanity must do X or Y. Perhaps it would be better to go back to the era of the Crusades to have this major event occur.
spirituality --------------------> that-a-way, this forum is for word games and talking
jive turkey, if you please 😛

Australia

Moves
11 Dec 12

Go away, we're not talking religion, just finding an excuse for America not to have ever happened. 🙂

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
11 Dec 12

Go away, we're not talking religion, just finding an excuse for America not to have ever happened. 🙂
Oh yeah? 😠
I'd wipe out crime in England then Australia would never have happened and England would have about a billion people in it by now. 😞

Pip pip cheerio old chap 😞

Australia

Moves
11 Dec 12
1 edit

How are you going to wipe out crime in England? and I think we'd have been Dutch or Malay by now if you had.