Immunity From Timeout While On Vacation

Immunity From Timeout While On Vacation

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Even on vacation, anywhere in the world, there is access to the internet, from your hotel suite, your cellphone, or an internet cafe.
It may surprise you, but there are actually still places where you don't have internet access, and not even a cellphone connection. Try going for a hike in Lapland, for example. Besides, even if you would be able to access the internet some way, I think it's quite healthy to take a complete break from the internet from time to time. That's possible now if you don't play fast games without a timebank, but a vacation option would make it easier. And it would be especially useful for tournaments - you don't know how long they will take, and even a fast tournament can take several months if it has several rounds, so in the current system you can't enter fast tournaments without risking to get timed out if you plan to be without internet for a while in a few months time.

So I think it's a good idea. But if it's in addition to the timebank system, I think two weeks or so would be enough. If it's instead of the timebank system, 30 days might be fine.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
It may surprise you, but there are actually still places where you don't have internet access, and not even a cellphone connection. Try going for a hike in Lapland, for example. Besides, even if you would be able to access the internet some way, I think it's quite healthy to take a complete break from the internet from time to time. That's possible now if yo ...[text shortened]... s or so would be enough. If it's instead of the timebank system, 30 days might be fine.
Santa's got no internet. . . 😞

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Things were fine with the vacation system the way it was, 2 players could decide on a 1,0, 3,7, 7,7, 21,28 game etc etc.. Both players consented to it. I don't give my consent to my opponent going on vacation for a month whilst a Queen down in my game. This sort of change will cause more annoyance than the current tried and tested system and might drive some poeple away from the site.
You decide to take a 5 day mini break. When you leave your opponent still had three days vacation left and as such you don't bother with your vacation flag knowing that you would still have 1 day to make you move once you come back. Neither of you has any timebank left and it is 3 days per move.

However you left on the 20th (having made you last move in the game at 8am the previous day) and are due back on the 25th. You will have no internet access at all but that should not be a problem.

Howeever, the cruel twist of fate is about to ruin your return. Unbeknown to you, your opponents came back on the same morning you left, having had a fight the buggers decided to come home early! They then moved in your game and your 3 days starts counting down.

OMG on the 23rd they timed you out. You can hear it now, the fights, the rights and wrongs etc etc etc.

The joys of the VACATION FLAG.

🙂

s

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
I have no idea what you are talking about, really.
Did you have any points and if so what were they?
seriously?

I understand a little better now. 😉

c

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by snowinscotland
seriously?

I understand a little better now. 😉
As far as I'm concered we already have this feature. It's called timebank. Honestly, say the average player uses 14 day TB (Quite likely) 14 days + 7 days to move + 28 days of vacation status = 49 days without moving. Who needs 49 days to think out a move?!

SS

Moves
30 Aug 06

s

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
As far as I'm concered we already have this feature. It's called timebank. Honestly, say the average player uses 14 day TB (Quite likely) 14 days + 7 days to move + 28 days of vacation status = 49 days without moving. Who needs 49 days to think out a move?!
Let's say we start a game in March. 3 days per move, 7 days timebank.

It might last for 75 moves, * 2 days per move = 150 days, or 5 months (for example)

I have a 2 week holiday in late June, and I am winning. You get fed up, see the chance and claim the win. Is that fair?

What are the options for anyone who wants to play chess on this site to avoid that? How many people would play 3/21? I bet not many.

Moves
31 Aug 06

Chris

As for the other vote - would this apply to tournaments? If so, ok, I'd give it a trial for a year, with another vote at the end. If not, it seems pretty pointless - if you have agreed to challanges, then you ought to know about holidays planned.

And yes, for those of you asking, I prefer long time controls - most of my games have been in the 21-28 time control, and long haul definitely suits me better than rapidplay.

Gezza

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by gezza
Chris

As for the other vote - would this apply to tournaments? If so, ok, I'd give it a trial for a year, with another vote at the end. If not, it seems pretty pointless - if you have agreed to challanges, then you ought to know about holidays planned.

And yes, for those of you asking, I prefer long time controls - most of my games have been in the 21-28 time control, and long haul definitely suits me better than rapidplay.

Gezza
Hmm, 21 day timeouts, 21 day timebanks, 4 weeks annual leave...

Is it enough, though? We need to ammend the TOS so we can bequeath unfinished games to our heirs.

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
31 Aug 06

http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=13

Current results let us get-voting people.

Jew.

Moves
31 Aug 06
1 edit

r
petting the cat

On Clique Beach

Moves
31 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by 7ate9
it's o.k. cash

1) it would give you more time to play with your puppets in here.

2) you would learn to be more particular about the friends you choose.

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by cashthetrash
Imagine 6 games with vacation flags all popped up at the same time. Four weeks of free waiting. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Just Sub let those games drop to the bottom of your list and start new ones. 😀

C

Argentina

Moves
31 Aug 06

It is surprising how 1000+ persons voted in less than 24 hours.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by CrazyLilTing
It is surprising how 1000+ persons voted in less than 24 hours.
Chess host PM'd everyone 🙂