1. Dublin
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 12:181 edit
    @trev33 said
    Will be interesting to see what happens during the summer and if they keep the needing a test to enter/return and during quarantine. When they abolish all that rubbish I’d imagine flights and hotels won’t be expensive as they’ll be desperate to get people back and I assume people will want to get away when possible.
    As regards foreign holidays, there's nothing better than getting away.

My girlfriend and I are looking forward to flying again.

But there's the horns of a dilemma here.

1. The airline and holiday industry have taken a beating this last year and are now beginning to offer all sorts of good deals.

2. The hotel industry likewise but they also know that people are desperate to get away.
    So it's possible that they might jack up room prices.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 12:56
    @instantkarma777 said
    As regards foreign holidays, there's nothing better than getting away.

My girlfriend and I are looking forward to flying again.

But there's the horns of a dilemma here.

1. The airline and holiday industry have taken a beating this last year and are now beginning to offer all sorts of good deals.

2. The hotel industry likewise but they also know that people are desperate to get away.
    So it's possible that they might jack up room prices.
    I hear you are looking at around 2,000 for 3 days and everything is almost booked already. You also have to have proof of the reservation. Hotels will do well but probably never catch up. It will be a big help and boost to their economy for sure.

-VR
  3. Dublin
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 13:15
    @very-rusty said
    I hear you are looking at around 2,000 for 3 days and everything is almost booked already. You also have to have proof of the reservation. Hotels will do well but probably never catch up. It will be a big help and boost to their economy for sure.

-VR
    The last thing I want to do is land in a foreign country and then have to spend all of my holiday in my hotel room.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 13:21
    @divegeester said
    I have 2 weeks in Greece booked for the end of June which are held over from last summer.

I called the holiday firm to move the dates back a couple of weeks and unusually they had loads of availability. When they told me the new price I realised why, the holiday has gone up 75% since what I booked it at in early 2020.
    We looked at Cuba for this year and it "only" went up 62%. We're not going this year, not because of the price hike, though that "may" have been a factor.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:28
    @divegeester said
    I have 2 weeks in Greece booked for the end of June which are held over from last summer.

I called the holiday firm to move the dates back a couple of weeks and unusually they had loads of availability. When they told me the new price I realised why, the holiday has gone up 75% since what I booked it at in early 2020.
    But they expected you to pay more even though it was carried over? Package holidays are different from just booking a flight and a place to stay, always cheaper to do it yourself. I guess we won't really know what it's going to be like cost wise until next year after we've hopefully had a period of normality. The travel and hospitality industry has been crushed by this, usually the best way to make money is via offers and competitive prices, I'm still hopeful prices won't be so high but I probably won't be going on any holidays for a while when I get back. Know a few people who managed to get away last summer, will be interesting to watch this summer. Not sure if i should try to come back now via Dublin or wait a few more months until hopefully all the travel restrictions are lifted, bit of a gamble either way.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:32
    @great-big-stees said
    We looked at Cuba for this year and it "only" went up 62%. We're not going this year, not because of the price hike, though that "may" have been a factor.
    Lets forget about the money. Probably not a good time to be traveling period. Unless of course it is for work and you have no choice! We know in your case it isn't for work.

-VR
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:32
    @great-big-stees said
    Wait a few months, who knows what will happen, world opens up and the prices drop? Now it's so hard to travel and not allowed in a lot of places, silly to book something now imo. Almost as silly as going to a different continent 😂
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:33
    @very-rusty said
    Lets forget about the money. Probably not a good time to be traveling period. Unless of course it is for work and you have no choice! We know in your case it isn't for work.

-VR
    Who's going to smuggle all those Cuban cigars into Canada if not Stees?
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:351 edit
    @trev33 said
    Who's going to smuggle all those Cuban cigars into Canada if not Stees?
    You're not suppose to say that in the public forums, jeeze man he has his own picture up and you know they will go after him. Just say it was a joke! 🙂

On a more serious note, I really don't believe anyone should travel unless it is work related.

-VR
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:45
    @very-rusty said
    You're not suppose to say that in the public forums, jeeze man he has his own picture up and you know they will go after him. Just say it was a joke! 🙂

On a more serious note, I really don't believe anyone should travel unless it is work related.

-VR
    And who exactly do you think is reading this tripe?

So you've said, about 324 times now, I would argue it's a great time to travel, less people around and places are more enjoyable.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:48
    @trev33 said
    And who exactly do you think is reading this tripe?

So you've said, about 324 times now, I would argue it's a great time to travel, less people around and places are more enjoyable.
    So you know it was said exactly 324 times....LOL...B.S. trev!

You travel at your own peril my old friend.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree