jimslyp forum killing champion

jimslyp forum killing champion

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Wanna bet?
anything.

Your post made my forecast a fact 😀

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Mar 13

2012 activity

It seems like more than 80% of threads die within the mobnth they ahve been started. So the killing number give a good measure for the activity in a given month,

Jan 108
Feb 82
Mar 58
Apr 106
May 53
Jun 103
Jul 103
Aug 69
Sept 77
Oct 127
Nov 64
Dec 115

to kill most threads in a month you had to kill minimum 7 (Kewpie, Nov) or minimum 27 (GB Dec).

Winners
5 Grampy Bobby
2 Shallow Blue and Very Rusty
1 Chess Praxis, Ponderable and Kewpie

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Ponderable

Why would this be his first ever such point?

There are several ways to kill a thread:

* posting utter crap (not foolproff people might still reply)
* posting a really final comment (high quality), problem: some might not realize the potential of the comment. Or they post to anser to a feud started much earlier in the thread.
* posting in as following those
* posting the same all over.

Be aware that this post will not kill this thread!
Over the years many had quietly assumed the validity of your observation that, "Some members might post such abhorrent crap that others feel the need to reply, thus they never kill a thread." No one had ever questioned the association of your second insight that, "Likewise, someone could create such amazing posts that no one feels man enough to square up to such excellent postage." (gb/ss/gb/ss)

Ponderable, the exclusivity in my comment was attributed to "No one" ,i.e., No RHP Member/ Posters in my memory, not Sicilian Sausage.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Mar 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Wanna bet?
You still hiding GPS Chips in my comfy jammies?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
08 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Ponderable
Results for December:

Champ: Grampy Bobby: 27

Runner up: Very Rusty 20

3rd: Chess Praxis 8

winners quota: 23.5 %

also run:

6: apathist, Kewpie
5: Ponderable
4: johnnylongwoody, Great Big Stees
3: HandyAndy, rookie54, divegester
2: mikelom,drewnogal,Kegge, FrankBurns, robbie carobbie, sonhouse
1: Crowley, coquette, Lloyd E Atkin ...[text shortened]... d a thread with the first post.
Phil 3000 and GB killed threads with a three digit number of posts.
Side Bar with Senior Professor Ponder Able: Would it be within the realm of all things forum to assume that many, if not most, alphabetic gaming threads live indefinitely because members' vocabularies are collectively sufficient to keep them on any internet forum's page one? Also, Pondy, would you conclude that many said posters may often ignore conversational threads because they've run out of patience or thought?

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
09 Mar 13

As one of the higher-scoring threadkillers, though clearly not the champion, I should point out that I would also belong in the prolific-poster category. Since all threads have to have a final poster, I think a lot of threads end simply because the rest of the readers have become bored with the thread. It's like being asked the same question 10 times, by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th most people have got tired of it, by the tenth you're probably ready to murder whoever asked it ...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Mar 13

Originally posted by Kewpie

As one of the higher-scoring threadkillers, though clearly not the champion, I should point out that I would also belong in the prolific-poster category. Since all threads have to have a final poster, I think a lot of threads end simply because the rest of the readers have become bored with the thread. It's like being asked the same question 10 times, by ...[text shortened]... people have got tired of it, by the tenth you're probably ready to murder whoever asked it ...
Good insight. Any idea what contributes toward long life to topic as contrasted with word game threads?

Moves
09 Mar 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Good insight. Any idea what contributes toward long life to topic as contrasted with word game threads?
simplicity.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
09 Mar 13

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
simplicity.
oh

Hristos voskrese

feckin' 'ell

Moves
10 Mar 13

what ever happened to jimslyp? guy was old school.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
11 Mar 13

Originally posted by leestatic
what ever happened to [b]jimslyp? guy was old school.[/b]
He started this thread.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
11 Mar 13

Originally posted by leestatic
what ever happened to [b]jimslyp? guy was old school.[/b]
He changed his name to Sicilian Sausage.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Apr 13

Results for January:

Champ: Grampy Bobby: 43

Runner up: Very Rusty 16

3rd: Great Big Stees 10

winners quota: 36.4 %

also run:

8: Ponderable
7: apathist,
5: Kewpie
4: Chess Praxis,
3: divegester
2: drewnogal, mikelom, Suzianne, kevcvs57,
1: Kepler, sumydid, brit commando, Sozin, Forum Moderator, Trev33, johnnylongwoody, Zamboner, JS357, FMF, jbhw2001, Paul Leggett, The Cosmic Muffin, sasquatch672

Honourable mentions:
Kewpie and GB killed a thread with the first post.
Kewpie, Very Rusty and Paul Leggett killed threads with a three digit number of posts.
Kevcvs57 killed a thread with a four digit number of posts.
GB killed four (!) threads with a three digit number of posts.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Apr 13
2 edits

Final Words"

With handwritten notes, typed or dictated letters and emails we try to compelete them with one pass. Postscripts are awkward and, at times, bothersome. Why, then, does similar effort and behavior surprise us on internet forums? We tend to treat last posts to threads as some kind of unwritten misdemeanor or social infraction. This very thread provides listings of victims and killers. Let's thank Sicilian Sausage and Ponderable for taking the time and making the effort to connect one day with another; and, in so doing, giving our us a sense of history and continuity of our daily lives. Let's not, however, fall into the trap of concluding that last posts [to both short and long conversations] are necessarily some negative or ugly thing. Individuals responsible for writing those last words have, by definition, usually given us something definitive. Your thoughts?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
28 Apr 13
3 edits

Results for January:

Champ: Grampy Bobby:20

joint Runners up: johnnylongwoody and Great Big Stees 6

winners quota: 33.3 %

also run:

5: apathist, Kewpie
2: ketchuplover, mikelom, kevcvs57, Ponderable
1: Chess Praxis, HandyAndy, drewnogal, lolof, caissad4, JS357, Silverstriker, Suzianne, divegester, FMF

Honourable mentions:
Silverstriker, GBS and GB managed to kill three digit threads.
mikelom and GB killed one thread each with the first post.

Edits: sorry for so many