General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    02 Jun '16 04:40
    Two explorers were searching for minerals in a remote location. Suddenly they were attacked by vicious animals they had never encountered before. One explorer, panicking, rushed back to rejoin the rest of the team. The other one made his way back to safety slowly - despite being in mortal danger - by backing away gradually from the animals, never taking his eyes off them. This second explorer made it back alive. The panicked explorer died when he reached the team, even though he'd managed to escape from the animals.

    Can you explain why?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52866
    02 Jun '16 04:511 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Two explorers were searching for minerals in a remote location. Suddenly they were attacked by vicious animals they had never encountered before. One explorer, panicking, rushed back to rejoin the rest of the team. The other one made his way back to safety slowly - despite being in mortal danger - by backing away gradually from the animals, never taking his eyes ...[text shortened]... e reached the team, even though he'd managed to escape from the animals.

    Can you explain why?
    He forgot about the pit viper nest he ran through. Or, he died of a heart attack from the effort to escape. Or the team turned into cannibals and he was selected to be dinner.
    Or he missed the lion trap pit with those sharp stakes and was impaled to death. Or he was hit by lightning because of a gathering storm. Or he crossed a railroad, being hard of hearing, did not hear the train barreling down on him at 90 klicks and squashed him into 4 pieces. Or he was in the path of a plane crashing on top of him. Or a thousand other scenarios.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45825
    02 Jun '16 06:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Two explorers were searching for minerals in a remote location. Suddenly they were attacked by vicious animals they had never encountered before. One explorer, panicking, rushed back to rejoin the rest of the team. The other one made his way back to safety slowly - despite being in mortal danger - by backing away gradually from the animals, never taking his eyes ...[text shortened]... e reached the team, even though he'd managed to escape from the animals.

    Can you explain why?
    Bees.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    02 Jun '16 07:02
    Nothing entirely new needs to be introduced in order to solve the puzzle laid out in the story.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45825
    02 Jun '16 10:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Two explorers were searching for minerals in a remote location. Suddenly they were attacked by vicious animals they had never encountered before. One explorer, panicking, rushed back to rejoin the rest of the team. The other one made his way back to safety slowly - despite being in mortal danger - by backing away gradually from the animals, never taking his eyes ...[text shortened]... e reached the team, even though he'd managed to escape from the animals.

    Can you explain why?
    Bends.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    02 Jun '16 10:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Bends.
    Yes indeed. Well done!

    Next!

    The renowned village idiot in the tourist spot was often offered the choice between a 10,000 Rupiah note and a 500 Rupiah coin by the tourists he amused but he would always accept the coins while rejecting the notes, even though the latter was worth 20 times more than the coin. Can you explain why?
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    530052
    02 Jun '16 11:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes indeed. Well done!

    Next!

    The renowned village idiot in the tourist spot was often offered the choice between a 10,000 Rupiah note and a 500 Rupiah coin by the tourists he amused but he would always accept the coins while rejecting the notes, even though the latter was worth 20 times more than the coin. Can you explain why?
    After 20 times he makes a Profit (and probably motivates People to put him to test, so the income is even increased)
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    02 Jun '16 11:19
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    After 20 times he makes a Profit (and probably motivates People to put him to test, so the income is even increased)
    It motivates people "to put him to test" in what way?
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    530052
    02 Jun '16 11:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    It motivates people "to put him to test" in what way?
    The more often he chooses the coin of less value the more People want to see that. Someone having it done one time is not very interesting, one who keeps doing it, most probably after having been explained things over and over again and keeps at the behaviour will attract more notice .
  10. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    02 Jun '16 11:33
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    The more often he chooses the coin of less value the more People want to see that. Someone having it done one time is not very interesting, one who keeps doing it, most probably after having been explained things over and over again and keeps at the behaviour will attract more notice .
    Not really. I don't think so. Well, I'm not sure what the "it" is when you say "having it done one time" and "one who keeps doing it". But you may be getting warm.
  11. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89265
    02 Jun '16 11:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Bends.
    Excellent!
  12. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    89265
    02 Jun '16 11:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes indeed. Well done!

    Next!

    The renowned village idiot in the tourist spot was often offered the choice between a 10,000 Rupiah note and a 500 Rupiah coin by the tourists he amused but he would always accept the coins while rejecting the notes, even though the latter was worth 20 times more than the coin. Can you explain why?
    If he stopped being an "idiot" he would lose his "renown", if he lost his "renown" he would lose his income.
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29885
    02 Jun '16 12:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If he stopped being an "idiot" he would lose his "renown", if he lost his "renown" he would lose his income.
    Yes indeed. Well done!

    Ponderable, was that what you were getting at?

    Next!

    The day before yesterday Dossy Bibblings was 17 years old. Next year he will be 20. How could this statement be true?
  14. hirsute rooster
    Joined
    13 Apr '05
    Moves
    16544
    02 Jun '16 12:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    The day before yesterday Dossy Bibblings was 17 years old. Next year he will be 20. How could this statement be true?
    Today would need to be the 1st January for that to be true.
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    530052
    02 Jun '16 12:32
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Today would need to be the 1st January for that to be true.
    Plus, the boys' birthday would be the 31st of december
Back to Top