1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 05:23
    This monument is to acknowledge that we know
    what is happening and what needs to be done.

Only you know if we did it.

Plaque commemorating the loss of the Ok Glacier.

https://www.sciencealert.com/iceland-has-unveiled-a-memorial-to-the-first-glacier-lost-to-climate-change
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 06:14
    @wolfgang59 said
    This monument is to acknowledge that we know
    what is happening and what needs to be done.

Only you know if we did it.

Plaque commemorating the loss of the Ok Glacier.

https://www.sciencealert.com/iceland-has-unveiled-a-memorial-to-the-first-glacier-lost-to-climate-change
    Iceland sits on top of the Atlantic ridge and there is a constant flow of molten magma from the mantle to the surface. Iceland is the most actively volcanic area in the world with eruptions occurring on average every four years and although the land mass is relatively small a staggering 33% of all lava of the Earth’s lava flows flow through is volcanic systems. The volcanic eruptions can cause devastating lava flow damage with millions of tons of hot ash being ejected into the atmosphere; locals and visitors as advised to monitor volcanic activity as well as atmospheric conditions as eruptions in the highlands can deposit noxious gasses and dust across any part of the island.

Do you think it possible that other factors other than just global CO2 levels may be in play here?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 06:44
    @divegeester said
    Do you think it possible that other factors other than just global CO2 levels may be in play here?
    I'm sure there are hundreds of scientists in Iceland awaiting your insight.
    Or maybe they have noticed the volcanoes too?
  4. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 06:56
    The planet gets hotter and colder.
    It's a cycle.
    We've had ice ages and periods of time have been extraordinarily hot.
    Up and down for billions of years.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 07:27
    @patzering said
    The planet gets hotter and colder.
    It's a cycle.
    We've had ice ages and periods of time have been extraordinarily hot.
    Up and down for billions of years.
    Fascinating ... where can I find out more?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 07:281 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    This thread was quite interesting “and so far without any silly off topic snarking. I think it is going quite well - don't you?”
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 07:29
    @wolfgang59 said
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 07:391 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    Fascinating ... where can I find out more?
    Maybe the same place you can provide specific evidence of a correlation between the rate of the loss of ice on this glacier which sits atop a volcano, and the rate of global warming.

What I’ve read indicates that this glacier has been losing ice since the first decades of the last century. Now we know that CO2 levels have been rising since the industrial revolution but is there evidence that the ice loss on this specific glacier, since the early 1900s, is caused solely by that. Bearing in mind it sits on top of an (albeit relatively dormant) volcano in the most volcanic lava spewing region of the world.

I’m not saying the evidence doesn’t exist; I’m just asking you to get some from some of the “hundreds of scientists” on Iceland who are apparently awaiting my insights.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 07:50
    Can I say in thread parenthesis that I totally accept that climate change is occurring due to increased CO2 levels. I also accept that it is probably species threatening due to the negative cascade of biological and agricultural impacts. I am in no way a ‘climate change denier’.

I prefer the truth and this volcanic glacier story with plaques and memorials and lamenting and ceremonies and pilgrimages smells of hand-wringing media- fuelled politicised storifying.
  10. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 09:12
    @divegeester said
    Can I say in thread parenthesis that I totally accept that climate change is occurring due to increased CO2 levels. I also accept that it is probably species threatening due to the negative cascade of biological and agricultural impacts. I am in no way a ‘climate change denier’.

I prefer the truth and this volcanic glacier story with plaques and memorials and lamenting and ceremonies and pilgrimages smells of hand-wringing media- fuelled politicised storifying.
    Sounds like attempted science-denial to me.
    High hopes for this thread were disappointed soon after second post.

Nice derailing.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 11:45
    @wolfe63 said
    Sounds like attempted science-denial to me.
    High hopes for this thread were disappointed soon after second post.

Nice derailing.
    Speaking of derailing. Does anyone know where I can find, an inexpensive, Derailleur for my 1976 Peugeot bike?
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 12:04
    @great-big-stees said
    Speaking of derailing. Does anyone know where I can find, an inexpensive, Derailleur for my 1976 Peugeot bike?
    the volcanoes in iceland have melted all the derailleurs

buy greenland
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 12:07
    @rookie54 said
    the volcanoes in iceland have melted all the derailleurs

buy greenland
    Well I am trying to do my bit to help Green the land by getting my bike back in working, in more than 1 of it's 10 gears.
  14. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 13:031 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    Well I am trying to do my bit to help Green the land by getting my bike back in working, in more than 1 of it's 10 gears.
    My old neighbor was bike-crazy. He bought and sold them just for fun. I recall that his primary source for rare parts and accessories was Craig's List. Good luck my man. That bike is a classic!

Here's a quickly googled link that might help:

https://www.steel-vintage.com/parts/derailleurs-shifters/
  15. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    18 Aug '19 13:491 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree