1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 11:18
    Originally posted by @apathist
    There is nothing wrong with two people making a team. Society is concerned about what kinds of two people get to do that. I wonder about the fascination with the number two!
    It could be as simple as biologically needing only two to reproduce.
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    19 Jul '18 06:51
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    It (see thread title) must've left you out, too.

I'm never getting married. I'm not insane.
    Surely it’s no coincidence that an anagram of marriage is ‘a grim era’.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 07:33
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    In German marriage is Ehe, some say it is the abbreviation for
    Errare humanum est.

And we have the psychology joke: In Marriage you have to decide: Freud oder Freude.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 08:041 edit
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    In German marriage is Ehe, some say it is the abbreviation for
    Errare humanum est.

And we have the psychology joke: In Marriage you have to decide: Freud oder Freude.
    Until modern times, marriage was a necessary foundation for a family. Two families were joined and made a stronger partnership. Without a husband or wealth of some kind, women had a hard time and with children to support it was even worse. In the modern world, we can choose to marry or not and many choose not to - we are not judged by our choice.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 08:371 edit
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    How convoluted things have become . Always the same story: the love of money, the fear of missing out, the inability to see life as something worth doing for the right reasons, the constant coveting and baring false witness.
    No patience. No tolerance or understanding .

Marriage has officially become a joke by legalizing gay Marriage . Perhaps the l ...[text shortened]... of history as just a good idea, not as a positive way to engage in life.
    Effin apathy alright!
    What a hypocrite.

First you say, "No tolerance or understanding."

Then you say, "Marriage has officially become a joke by legalizing gay Marriage."

Tell me what about giving others the same right you have to marry the one you love denigrates what you have?

You're like, "Dammit, now others can have what I've always had. Now what I have is worthless."

What is wrong with you?
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 09:57
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Until modern times, marriage was a necessary foundation for a family. Two families were joined and made a stronger partnership. Without a husband or wealth of some kind, women had a hard time and with children to support it was even worse. In the modern world, we can choose to marry or not and many choose not to - we are not judged by our choice.
    You draw a very economic picture of marriage. I like to think of it as union of a woman and a man in love. Growing together, giving hold to each other, having children. To look back to a way gone together with hard parts, which only made the union stronger when managed together, with good parts, giving rise to fond memories...

And then there are other modes of living and enjoying life, and not for me to judge.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 10:20
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    You draw a very economic picture of marriage. I like to think of it as union of a woman and a man in love. Growing together, giving hold to each other, having children. To look back to a way gone together with hard parts, which only made the union stronger when managed together, with good parts, giving rise to fond memories...

And then there are other modes of living and enjoying life, and not for me to judge.
    I have been reading novels about 17th century women in Sweden - not so long ago but oh, so different. If they were lucky, their family could allow them to marry for love but often it was all about money and security - neither of them had an alternative choice.

You, Ponderable, have met the right woman and live a happy life with your family and that is wonderful.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 10:38
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    How convoluted things have become . Always the same story: the love of money, the fear of missing out, the inability to see life as something worth doing for the right reasons, the constant coveting and baring false witness.
    No patience. No tolerance or understanding .

Marriage has officially become a joke by legalizing gay Marriage . Perhaps the l ...[text shortened]... of history as just a good idea, not as a positive way to engage in life.
    Effin apathy alright!
    So, to clarify, two gay people who decide to get married are not demonstrating 'a positive way to engage in life'?

And you seek to chastise people for having no patience, tolerance or understanding?!

What a joke.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    And diapers anagramming to ‘despair’.
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 09:301 edit
    What is there to say about marriage other than it's a commitment, a contract that is meant to keep a couple or a family safe. If it wasn't for the legal aspect, why marry at all? You can love and live together without being joined legally. But to secure a safe foundation for the relationship, we get married.
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 15:48
    What is there to say about marriage other than it's a commitment, a contract that is meant to keep a couple or a family safe. If it wasn't for the legal aspect, why marry at all? You can love and live together without being joined legally. But to secure a safe foundation for the relationship, we get married.
    It can take a long time to get out of a marriage. I’m surprised that
    anyone ever wants to go through it a second time.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 17:06
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What, the rage of the Miar?
    Jebesus, I have to point it out? Look at the title to this thread.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 18:30
    I married the love of my life.

(She's in the room, I repeat, she's in the room).
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 18:35
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    i did too...

three times...
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    12 Aug '18 22:03
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

(She's in the room, I repeat, she's in the room).
    I'm happy for anyone and everyone who marry for love and stay in love. That is what most of us want, I guess.
    Marriage is a much a matter of tradition - we do what we feel is natural to do.
    I agree with Drewnogal's post - why marry again after a difficult divorce..?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree