Members with Multiple Accounts.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
09 Feb 21

An unfortunate scourge: This issue is challenging site credibility.

How is it that they've become tolerated here?

Verification security and tracking are now accepted and commonplace practices throughout the internet.

Is it technologically impossible or unrealistic to expect that multiple accounts might be prevented here?

This is a competitive chess site. We have a very bright base of membership.

Why are we tolerant of such chronic mockery?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
09 Feb 21

@wolfe63 said

Verification security and tracking are now accepted and commonplace practices throughout the internet.

Is it technologically impossible or unrealistic to expect that multiple accounts might be prevented here?

It is still against the TOS, the question is about enforcement.

Probably if you send feedback detailing the problem there will be progress (but you should know very well that you deal with that). If you can show that rating fraud is committed you will be more successful than if you only have a problem on the Forums I fear...

Moves
09 Feb 21

@wolfe63 said

“Challenging site credibility”

Because there’s a poster (or a couple, or few) who keeps popping up with a new username?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
09 Feb 21

@wolfe63 said

You are bound to get a few bad apples.

I've seen multiple accounts banned, but not so many recently.

I suggest if you notice anything to report it directly to Russ.

He will do something about it as he doesn't want this happening either.

-VR

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
09 Feb 21

Although I look askew at a person who feels another identity is desirable, I don't see
how a second account makes for a stronger chess player, in and of itself.

just my 2 cents.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
09 Feb 21

@earl-of-trumps said
Although I look askew at a person who feels another identity is desirable, I don't see
how a second account makes for a stronger chess player, in and of itself.

just my 2 cents.
I believe sometimes it is done so they can hide under another alias and not use the one they would normally use. Other times it may be done for playing chess, winning with one and losing with other(s). Another way to try and cheat for points! It has all been done in the past, and sooner or later they do get caught up with.

You see something doesn't look right report it, no one wants someone cheating on the site, in my humble opinion.

-VR

SRB

Moves
09 Feb 21

@ponderable said
It is still against the TOS, the question is about enforcement.

Probably if you send feedback detailing the problem there will be progress (but you should know very well that you deal with that). If you can show that rating fraud is committed you will be more successful than if you only have a problem on the Forums I fear...
The statement:

The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn Chess' community.

Is very different to the statement:

If you can show that rating fraud is committed you will be more successful than if you only have a problem on the Forums I fear...

Moves
09 Feb 21

@relentless-red said
The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn Chess' community.
Like an atom, it’s a very small core.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Feb 21

@divegeester said
Like an atom, it’s a very small core.
Yes, 'chess' is the core of the site, the glue that holds everything else together. It's what brought us here.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
09 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Yes, 'chess' is the core of the site, the glue that holds everything else together. It's what brought us here.
i came for the chess that's true
but when grampy bobby told me i should be more respectful
that's when i made the place my home

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
09 Feb 21

@rookie54 said
i came for the chess that's true
but when grampy bobby told me i should be more respectful
that's when i made the place my home
I came for the chess,
stayed for the mess.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I came for the chess,
stayed for the mess.
I was at caissa.com and came here after they started heavy-handedly censoring their forums.

F

Moves
10 Feb 21
3 edits

@wolfe63 said

About 10 years ago, on the Debates Forum, I stopped posting with "FMF" and used an account called "John W. Booth" instead for a few weeks and, as a practical joke, in order to come at a couple of ludicrous but prolific very far-right posters called utherpendragon and generalissimo ...in order to come at them from an even nuttier extreme on the right.

I let most regular posters in on the joke by PM. It was kind of funny for a while. I was finally "outed" and I apologized to those who'd been taken in by it or who felt it was a bit cavalier.

Last year and going back a few years, the episode was STILL being used on the Spirituality Forum by one or two desperate posters to assert ~ by way of deflection from whatever was being discussed ~ that nothing I'd posted about my beliefs [past and present] on the forum during the subsequent years, including my denials that I was a paedophile [!] ~ could be trusted because the "John W. Booth" episode had demonstrated that I was a "liar"!

This all seems rather quaint now when you see the huge number of people posting 'for the first time' and yet they have knowledge and axes to grind with reference to things going back years.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
10 Feb 21

@suzianne said
I was at caissa.com and came here after they started heavy-handedly censoring their forums.
you're kidding me. I know old Loki there. We were on the same chess team.
I must have left before you arrived because I was there very early.
KellyJay is here, as is another member that I knew there (can't recall).

SRB

Moves
10 Feb 21

@fmf said
@wolfe63 said

About 10 years ago, on the Debates Forum, I stopped posting with "FMF" and used an account called "John W. Booth" instead for a few weeks and, as a practical joke, in order to come at a couple of ludicrous but prolific very far-right posters called utherpendragon and generalissimo ...in order to come at them [i]from ...[text shortened]... first time' and yet they have knowledge and axes to grind with reference to things going back years.
Outrageous, they picked up on one action and tried to use it to define you.