Online vs. Offline

Online vs. Offline

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
31 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I am always more drawn to the cerebral, thoughtful, witty, sarcastic, antagonistic and challenging folks with opinions I either share or care to shred.
Folks with opinions you either share or care to shred? Are you then not drawn to people who disagree with you but have opinions you cannot shred or do not care to shred? 🙂

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
This comes across as a kind of convoluted, mealy-mouthed 'internet tough guy' claim about yourself. There are a few 'internet tough guys' on the Debates Forum too.
How it comes across to you is really not my concern.
My response is nothing more than the straightforward truth in response to a question directed to me.
We all should know fully that anything posted on the internet is worth the paper it is printed on (or, in your case, the zip drives it is saved to).
I couldn't give two hoots about any perceived or even fully-intended threats since I am supremely confident in two things--- the former even more so than the latter: it is nearly guaranteed that the majority of us will never be in close proximity to each other and if that near-impossibility ever comes to fruition, I am confident in my ability to handle that situation.

If that makes you nervous, it says more about you than it does about my supposed convoluted attempts at being a tough guy.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
Folks with opinions you either share or care to shred? Are you then not drawn to people who disagree with you but have opinions you cannot shred or do not care to shred? 🙂
I've not met any of these people, so I guess the answer is... no.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
31 May 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I was referring to something that actually happened a few years ago. It was a very short article buried somewhere in the back pages of our local paper, but the story was so stunning to me it seemed to leap off the page.

The facts were as I stated. A young woman in her early twenties did just what I said... she showed up (alone) at a bar wearing a sexy black dress, stayed until closing time, and because it was late and the busses stopped running she accepted a ride home (she thought she was being taken to her home) by a guy she didn't know. But the part of the article that stood out for me and caused me to marvel was her complaining about how she had the right to go to that bar and not be hassled.

And she was correct. She had the right to show up alone, she had the right to wear whatever she wanted to wear, she had the right to stay until closing time, she had the right to accept a ride home, she had the right to do all of that. And she had the right to not be accosted by some creep who could take advantage of her. And yet, somehow and for some reason her right to safely get through the evening was violated.

Forgive me for that last bit of sarcasm, but if she was one of my daughters and had been raised in my home, I would have felt like a horrible failure.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
31 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
I suppose the "Neanderthal" barb translates as 'backward' and 'outdated'. And the "condescension" barb suggests that you see yourself as superior.

But your attempted barb in return ~ that Handy Andy is a "henpecked male" ~ is interesting. He genuinely believes you are backward and consider yourself to be superior to women. His beliefs about you are there in ...[text shortened]... someone who disagrees with you a "henpecked male". Personally I think it does you a disservice.
If Andy wants to speculate as to who I am and what I'm all about, why shouldn't I return the favor? I believe you are over thinking this. It is what it is.

F

Moves
31 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by lemon lime
My views were formed from experience and from listening to endless talk about womens rights.
What do you think of other outcomes of "endless talk about women's rights" such as changes in education, employment, control over their lives, treatment in the eyes of the law, attitudes towards domestic violence, financial independence, progress in women's health issues, and so on?

If any of these things ~ all of which can presumably be described as women having "overplayed their hand" by someone with your mindset ~ happen to have "caused some men to become misogynists who would have otherwise grown up to become normal men", do you see yourself needing to speak in defence of ~ or at least urge people to have empathy with ~ these misogynists too, or is it just about the women in sexy clothes?

F

Moves
31 May 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
If Andy wants to speculate as to who I am and what I'm all about, why shouldn't I return the favor? I believe you are over thinking this. It is what it is.
Him responding to your stated views by describing them as terribly old fashioned is surely different from you hitting back by suggesting that he has some sort of interpersonal problem with women?

F

Moves
31 May 14
1 edit

How it comes across to you is really not my concern.
My response is nothing more than the straightforward truth in response to a question directed to me.
We all should know fully that anything posted on the internet is worth the paper it is printed on (or, in your case, the zip drives it is saved to).
I couldn't give two hoots about any perceived or eve ...[text shortened]... it says more about you than it does about my supposed convoluted attempts at being a tough guy.
You suddenly mentioned a nasty kind of personal, physical violence that you say be could caused by certain ideas or rudeness online in one post and in the next post you appear to be preening yourself as to how you would be able to handle it in real life.

This is the kind of weasel word stuff that oozes out of 'internet tough guys' in places like the Debates Forum. One wonders why you chose to start talking about "punches in the throat" in the first place.

On the Spirituality Forum, have you ever felt like you wanted to punch anyone in the throat? Has anyone ever said they want to punch you in the throat? If they have, show me where.

gc

Moves
31 May 14

apart from karoly chess players are generally full of it and over competitive online ,offline probably better but in the closet

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
31 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
What do you think of other outcomes of "endless talk about women's rights" such as changes in education, employment, control over their lives, treatment in the eyes of the law, attitudes towards domestic violence, financial independence, progress in women's health issues, and so on?

If any of these things ~ all of which can presumably be described as women h ...[text shortened]... ple to have empathy with ~ these misogynists too, or is it just about the women in sexy clothes/
Those are fair questions. Those changes you mentioned are always highlighted in news stories. I'm talking about aspects of this you will rarely if ever hear about.

As to your question about misogynists... I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will say I could have easily become one myself if I hadn't stopped to think about any of this. If you are suggesting that I might see myself needing to speak in defence of or at least urge people to have empathy with these misogynists... are you kidding me?

I knew I would be called upon to explain myself after my original comments on this subject. I think I've already said enough for anyone to understand where I'm coming from.

F

Moves
31 May 14

I couldn't give two hoots about any perceived or even fully-intended threats since I am supremely confident in two things--- the former even more so than the latter: it is nearly guaranteed that the majority of us will never be in close proximity to each other and if that near-impossibility ever comes to fruition, I am confident in my ability to handle that situation.

Are you alluding to your own supposed physical prowess in violent situations here?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
31 May 14
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Him responding to your stated views by describing them as terribly old fashioned is surely different from you hitting back by suggesting that he has some sort of interpersonal problem with women?
I was actually responding to all of the comments he's been making about me. Not just the ones made here at this particular thread. For example, He doesn't like Bobby, I get along with Bobby, so he says I'm Bobbys lapdog.

I usually don't say anything to him, but once in a while I will give him the attention he so desperately craves... LOL

And I wasn't suggesting he has some sort of interpersonal problem with women, I was suggesting he's bought into everything he's heard from women about the womens movement. Although, some guys will sound like they've bought into all of it, when in fact all they are really trying to do is to score points with their women acquaintances.

Oh, and by the way Drew... I am the father of two sons and three daughters, who are all adults now. I don't presume to be anyone elses father and act like I have a right to tell anyone else what to do. What I've been talking about comes from a fathers perspective.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
You suddenly mentioned a nasty kind of personal, physical violence that you say be could caused by certain ideas or rudeness online in one post and in the next post you appear to be preening yourself as to how you would be able to handle it in real life.

This is the kind of weasel word stuff that oozes out of 'internet tough guys' in places like the Debates ...[text shortened]... throat? Has anyone ever said they want to punch you in the throat? If they have, show me where.
There was nothing "sudden" about my post whatsoever.
Nor could it be considered gradual, either.
It was a matter-of-fact statement regarding how people conduct themselves, specifically highlighting the contrast between online and real life behavior.

Some of the insulting condescension which occurs online can only occur online for the reasons given: some people simply don't cotton to such puerile behavior, taking such conduct as goading and challenging.
EDIT: In addition to this, the overwhelming majority of trolls who level insults behind the security of their LED screen wouldn't DREAM about saying such things in person, for fear of being held to account for their words.

As far as preening myself (?) not really sure what insult you're trying to level, but it's pathetically inept, whatever it is.
You have a propensity for twisting things around and re-framing the discussion in hopes of forcing a focus on the supposed short-comings of others, but just as in those instances, your efforts fall short of the goal.

Your obvious word-play is heavy-handed and plodding.
As stated, childishly pathetic.
You consistently seem to gravitate toward the immature, for some reason.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 May 14

Originally posted by FMF
[b]I couldn't give two hoots about any perceived or even fully-intended threats since I am supremely confident in two things--- the former even more so than the latter: it is nearly guaranteed that the majority of us will never be in close proximity to each other and if that near-impossibility ever comes to fruition, I am confident in my ability to handle that s ...[text shortened]... ation.

Are you alluding to your own supposed physical prowess in violent situations here?[/b]
You seem like a pretty smart feller; why don't you tell the group what you think it all means?

F

Moves
31 May 14
1 edit

You seem like a pretty smart feller; why don't you tell the group what you think it all means?
It comes across as you being an 'internet tough guy' alluding to an ability to handle some notion of "violence" that he himself has raised in an online discussion.